HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:24 AM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
You can set your throttle curve to 0-0-0-0-0 in all flight modes to check the pitch in different modes.
McKrackin is offline Find More Posts by McKrackin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:44 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKrackin View Post
You can set your throttle curve to 0-0-0-0-0 in all flight modes to check the pitch in different modes.
Thanks guys, I am starting to get all of this. I knew helis were complicated, which is why I avoided the m like the plague.

But the "Heli Nation" at my club turned me to the dark side.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:53 AM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
Something is wrong. You shouldn't need that much throttle to hover.
I agree, the first thing I would check is to make sure the main gear hasn't slipped down the shaft at all, what you are describing is a symptom of this.

The second thing I would check is to make sure you have 0* pitch at mid stick. Plug everything in and fold the blades back, put your throttle stick at mid stick, the blades should be even with each other. Someone on this thread also posted a photo where he took the blades off and put toothpicks in the screw holes then put the stick at mid, the toothpicks should be even with each other.
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:48 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Thanks guys, I am starting to get all of this. I knew helis were complicated, which is why I avoided the m like the plague.

But the "Heli Nation" at my club turned me to the dark side.
Heli can be a real blast to fly and they can also make a grown man want to cry like a baby.

I first flew helis back around 25 years ago in the early days of Concept 30s which I had two of I also had a Kalt Cyclone 50 and a Kalt Whisper which was the first CP electric Heli to the best of my memory.

Back then gyro sucked big time,it was difficult to get the engine and collective pitch cures matched so the engine would not bog at most settings, if one used a tuned pipe (exhaust system) which I di then the engine was on the pipe for a very limited range of RPMs. There were no really go computerized Heli Transmitters so much had to be setup by mechanical means. Long servo arm on the collective, shorter on the engine, neither at 90 degrees to servo. It was a royal PITA but could be done.

I in fact learned to fly these monstors and did fairly well . Life,family,work got in the way so I went back to planes which wer much simpler,less mainataince and I had mastered many years prio.

About 3 years ago I got anBlade CP from my son that he had coverted to Brush Less. I put a more powerful motor in it ,made a custom taill rttor setup withg two motors driving a single blade and fly it rather well and had a lot of fun with it. Next I purchased a Blade 400 and learned that out of the box it was barely flyable. I updated, servos,gyro, motor ,ESC and had it flying good but everytime I crashed it was a $50 to $100 and several hours of repaire. After abouyt 6 such crahes I set it on a shelf.

A little over two months ago I ourchased a mCPX and I have had a ball with it.
I have since purched a used one converted to BL ,converted my original to BL and have a new one in the box for parts ./ backup and later today I will be converting my son's mCPX V1 to BL with a stup more powerful than mine as he said he needs even more power.

Bottom line hang in there, read a lot, learning the machinics / setups is difficult for most. practice and it will all come together for you.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:11 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.a.r.m.e.r View Post
my hp05s in the garage trying half inverted piro flip..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7caK3...e_gdata_player

the hp05s bl scares me indoors.. lol
So a half a flip is a half of a piro flip? wow i didn't realize that is what i have been doing forever, can you show the other half of the piro flip really want to learn them.

Quote:
Mine is set the same except my Pitch is now set 100% H 100% L

I guess he felt like it was too slow and the pitch increase, allowed it to move quicker for tumbles. He has never flown anything smaller than a 450 before.

All I could tell was that it was taking nearly WOT to keep it in a hover, now that I increased pitch to 100% I have some head room. It feels great to me, gives me some confidence in doing some rolls when I get the guts. IT also gets me out of trouble quicker.
it is nice to have someone who can fly show you what your machine can do so you know for sure before you try it, everyone gets me to wring out there aircraft to see what they will do.

..... Can we agree that not everyone fly the same, not everyone will like the same set up, not every heli is the same. I have my heli that has 301 flights on it, Every since I got it day one I have had to fly it with 50% pitch cause that was only way to get zero pitch at center the links are not long enough for me to do it manually so i am running like 100%L and 80%H on the settings but it fly great
Just got a newer heli for my gf and guess what it took 0 on pitch and were flying it at 70% H and L it fly great.

I have now flown like 5 different MCPX's none of them fly just the same but I have no issues with what i call mild 3d
back flips, front flips, side flips, nose in, tail in, rainbows, inverted hover, punch outs. piros, All of these were brushed then one was Bl now another is BL. Guess it true when your good your good.

first time i try the KB blades I hated them went back to stock for 200 more flights but then I put them back on when got good battery's, they flew great i thought for about 75 flights, well now im back to flying stock blades they give lil more power but the Bl set up I have flown has KB and fly great not flown it with stock ones might be like WOW what a difference but then maybe not.
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:22 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,792 Posts
Just flew the heli and I am now hovering at 55% stick.

Here is vid showing my pitch, alot easier to see. Looks good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iWYb...ature=youtu.be
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:45 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
So a half a flip is a half of a piro flip? wow i didn't realize that is what i have been doing forever, can you show the other half of the piro flip really want to learn them.

You're missing it evidently.

At about 13 seconds he did a half piro flip.

Starts inverted nose in...rolls right with aileron...ends upright tail in.
If you use aileron to roll and it changes from nose in to tail in...it obviously did a half pirouette.

It's fast and hard to see but it's definitely a half piro flip.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:00 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
You're missing it evidently.

At about 13 seconds he did a half piro flip.

Starts inverted nose in...rolls right with aileron...ends upright tail in.
If you use aileron to roll and it changes from nose in to tail in...it obviously did a half pirouette.

It's fast and hard to see but it's definitely a half piro flip.
there was a spot where it looked blurry and couldn't really see what was going on
inverted nose in then rolls over then flips forward to end up tail in, guess need some slow motion video, i really do want to learn it but just not sure how to go about it. it seems your classified as a really good pilot if you can do them
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, that looks pretty good. You can check both collective and cyclic pitch with a ruler, see here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1409275

Don
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:39 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
there was a spot where it looked blurry and couldn't really see what was going on
inverted nose in then rolls over then flips forward to end up tail in, guess need some slow motion video, i really do want to learn it but just not sure how to go about it. it seems your classified as a really good pilot if you can do them

It's all timing.

You want to flip or roll while doing a piro.
You need to stir the cyclic stick to keep the flip going.

If you're holding the rudder to the left to do a counter clockwise piro...you need to stir the cyclic stick clockwise at the same rate as the piro.

Say you're trying to flip forward...
You start by pushing the stick forward but the nose is turning away so you need to stir it to the right since the right side of the heli is now facing straight away.
As it continues the piro,keep pushing the cyclic to move the heli straight away.

Get it?

The nose is away. Forward cyclic
The right side is away. Right cyclic
The tail is away. Rear cyclic
The left side is away. Left cyclic

The right stick goes in the opposite direction of the piro at exactly the same speed.

You need to learn to hold a pirouette in one place for as long as you want. The piro tricks are easy.

RC Heli Instructional Video - Piro Flips (5 min 5 sec)
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:55 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:

that looks good. I'm glad you got it worked out.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:04 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Quote:

You said in the video that it doesn't matter what mode you're in,the pitch doesn't change....

OK...is your throttle hold on?
If it is,you haven't even checked your pitch in any of the other flight modes.
You've only checked your pitch in throttle hold.

That said,it should be the same pitch curve in ST1,ST2 and TH anyway but still...throttle hold disables the idle up switch.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:07 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,792 Posts
Quote:
You said in the video that it doesn't matter what mode you're in,the pitch doesn't change....

OK...is your throttle hold on?
If it is,you haven't even checked your pitch in any of the other flight modes.
You've only checked your pitch in throttle hold.

That said,it should be the same pitch curve in ST1,ST2 and TH anyway but still...throttle hold disables the idle up switch.
Yeah, my throttle hold was on.

How do I look at the pitch curve while moving the sticks without the blades turning?

I thought throttle hold was the only way to look at this without the blades turning.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:

How do I look at the pitch curve while moving the sticks without the blades turning?

I thought throttle hold was the only way to look at this without the blades turning.
If your st1, st2 and throttle hold pitch curves are all set to the same values then you will be ok. They will all be the same whether our not you have the throttle hold on our not.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Quote:

Unplug the motor or set your throttle curve to 0-0-0-0-0 on all flight modes.

If throttle hold is on,that's the only pitch curve you're checking. Throttle hold has its own pitch curve.

If you set your other pitch curves the same as your throttle hold curve,you should be good anyway.