SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:12 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
Something is wrong. You shouldn't need that much throttle to hover.
That's what I thought. I can't imagine what though? I have gone over the settings for DX7 three times.

The only difference from the manual is that in the settings list the swash type says Servo 1 90 and mine says Servo 1 Norm

Not sure why I don't have the preference.

There are also all of the settings in the DX7 that the manual doesn't talk about. I have no clue what they mean.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:43 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
At 75% pitch, it is taking 90-100% just to keep it in a hover much less loop, roll........
OK first off did you level yoursashpklate and set to zero pitch at mid stick?
Is the mai gear pushed all the way up so there is no end play (up and down) o he main shaft?

You must start here or other setting mean nothing.
With this setup and the setting recomended in the maual the heli should hiver at aprox. 65% throttle / collective.

Out of the box many of these require that the servo links be turned out (made longer) two or three full turns. That means out of the box they have to little positive pitch and to much negative pitch.

Here is a video and also a bunch of links to help out.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=342153
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:14 PM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
+1 on 0 pitch at mid stick and main gear pushed up and the flat aligned.
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:43 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Ok, I popped off the servo links and moved them up.

I made sure the swash plate is level, it just looks like now, I have way more positive pitch than negative.

I will tool with it in the morning.

Thanks for the help, zero pitch at half stick was news to me.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:25 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Well, I am not sure if this is what I want of not???

I thought I would post a vid to see if you guys could give me some feedback.

There is definitely way more pitch between half stick and full as opposed to half stick to zero throttle.

http://youtu.be/im2EdUBcH0U
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:38 AM
United States, CT
Joined Apr 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Well, I am not sure if this is what I want of not???

I thought I would post a vid to see if you guys could give me some feedback.

There is definitely way more pitch between half stick and full as opposed to half stick to zero throttle.

http://youtu.be/im2EdUBcH0U
What exactly is the problem? This is my first CP heli as well... Did you use the settings from the manual? What is it not doing for you?
Sudsak is offline Find More Posts by Sudsak
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:44 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsak View Post
What exactly is the problem? This is my first CP heli as well... Did you use the settings from the manual? What is it not doing for you?
Settings are exactly like the manual, but I am hovering at 90% throttle.

I was tol that I need to set the pitch to zero at half stick.

Now I have a lot of power and hover around 55% throttle, but I am afraid that I hve very little negative pitch. I can't tell yet because I am not ready to flip the heli and find out.

I was hoping the vid would show something that I missed.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:53 AM
United States, CT
Joined Apr 2012
185 Posts
Quote:

Now I have a lot of power and hover around 55% throttle, but I am afraid that I hve very little negative pitch. I can't tell yet because I am not ready to flip the heli and find out.

You don't have to flip it to sorta see how much negative pitch you have ... just go up in the air a bit then go down on the throttle and note how hard the heli flies downward, see what I mean? If your heli is right-side up then negative pitch will make it "fly" downward, i.e. into the ground. ... If I'm making any sense.

But I'm no expert so I could be completely wrong.
Last edited by Sudsak; Jun 10, 2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:10 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsak View Post
You don't have to flip it to sorta see how much negative pitch you have ... just go up in the air a bit then go down on the throttle and note how hard the heli flies downward, see what I mean? If your heli is right-side up then negative pitch will make it "fly" downward, i.e. into the ground. ... If I'm making any sense.

But I'm no expert so I could be completely wrong.
No I understand, yeah you are right. But I would like to have the heli inverted with some height, bring it down to the grass, and then punch it to really test the negative pitch.

I'm not quite there yet. I have 13 flights and everything still works.

I have a feeling, this was a good heli to learn on but not one to expect a whole lot of stability. Everyone at my club flies 600's and 700's so it's hard to expect much out of this little guy.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:24 AM
United States, CT
Joined Apr 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
No I understand, yeah you are right. But I would like to have the heli inverted with some height, bring it down to the grass, and then punch it to really test the negative pitch.

I'm not quite there yet. I have 13 flights and everything still works.

I have a feeling, this was a good heli to learn on but not one to expect a whole lot of stability. Everyone at my club flies 600's and 700's so it's hard to expect much out of this little guy.
I'm very happy with it as a first CP heli, it's very durable. Hehe I'm not rushing the 3D flying thing yet ... although I did try to invert it today outside, no luck. I thought about it later and I think it's because I still had the elev and aile dual rates to set to low. Doh! ... Yeah I'm pretty much staying on low rates and "normal" flight mode for a bit longer till I'm more comfortable. But it is a lot of fun.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:27 AM
Seattle, WA
Joined Apr 2006
1,167 Posts
Quote:

What flight mode are you in? Normal, Stunt 1 or Stunt 2? Watching your video...it appears you are in normal mode and your pitch looks about right. Normal mode has some negative, but not much. If you want negative pitch for inverted you have to go to Stunt 1 or 2. Put the heli in Stunt 1 or 2 and then set it so that mid stick is 0 pitch and then report back what you find. Also, it was kind of hard to tell in the video (maybe you were doing this), but with this little heli the easiest way to check your pitch is to rotate the blades so they are 90 degrees to where they normally are, then the pitch will be easy to see if you really are at 0 pitch at mid stick.

This heli can do quite a lot and I think it's very stable considering how small it is. I'm having a blast with mine.
flynfrfun is offline Find More Posts by flynfrfun
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:29 AM
United States, CT
Joined Apr 2012
185 Posts
Going back and flying my 120SR after spending tons of hours with my new mCPX, I had to turn the high rates on (inside in a small room), the darn thing doesn't respond fast enough! So used to the sensitive controls and the quicker response of the mCPX now!
Last edited by Sudsak; Jun 10, 2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:01 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Sorry if I sound like a smart ass but by the time you get to this point

Quote:
But I would like to have the heli inverted with some height, bring it down to the grass, and then punch it to really test the negative pitch

you should better understand setups such as zero pitch atr mid stick and why, different throttlre cyrevs for Normal , St/ 1 and St,2 why some baldes work better with less pitch and some better with more pitch , why some are better at low HS and some better at higjh HS.

A heli is an extremly complictaed piece of equipment. These are not Air Hog vclass toy helis they are very complex CP semi high performane piece of equipment.

FYI You can unplug the main and tail motor plugs flip to St 1 and St 2 and check postive and negative pitch at the blades as long as you desire to do so.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:59 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
FYI You can unplug the main and tail motor plugs flip to St 1 and St 2 and check postive and negative pitch at the blades as long as you desire to do so.

Charles
Wouldn't it be easier to set a throttle cut so you can check it in any mode. Either that or set throttle hold pitch curve to linear to set zero pitch at mid stick?
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:22 AM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to set a throttle cut so you can check it in any mode. Either that or set throttle hold pitch curve to linear to set zero pitch at mid stick?
Throttle hold is a flight mode in itself.
If the throttle hold is on,now matter what you do with the flight mode switch,the pitch won't change.

Throttle hold has it's own pitch curve.
Throttle hold has it's own throttle curve.

With throttle hold switch on,the idle up switch is disabled.

I know you said throttle cut and not throttle hold but a lot of people confuse the two and not all radios have a throttle cut feature.
McKrackin is offline Find More Posts by McKrackin
Last edited by McKrackin; Jun 10, 2012 at 09:34 AM.