Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:47 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Doesnt your header say "super friendly aviator"
Yeah, but even pilots have a limit. We're the best people in the whole world, but we're not perfect...

And as any pilot will probably tell you within the first five minutes of meeting, we are the best at "being friendly" - better than other mere mortals anyway, and you can bet your evening on that
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:47 PM
United Kingdom, Knutsford
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
Nope. Going to hold off until I feel it's as 100% ground checked and ready as it can be and that means waiting for the new bearings. Everything does look pretty good after going through it. Better than my mSR. I did "cheat" and run it up some (blades off) after programming/binding my DX7. Pretty neato to see how the swashplate corrects when you tilt it in your hand and how it retains an actual input attitude until you take it out. This is why it's very "sim like" when flying, as I've heard it described. No self-correcting tendencies at all regarding actual control inputs. Just self correcting about the last known set attitude. Way cool...

And, if anyone is wondering, the two outer bearings were brass side out away from the hub, which appears to be the correct way these days.
If best safety is required need to get the B grips rather than alternate bearings for the flawed A grips?
ihover is offline Find More Posts by ihover
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:48 PM
RC Addict
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Feb 2010
7 Posts
Blade mCP X Main Rotor Head Replacement Request Bulletin

From HH:

Blade mCP X Main Rotor Head Replacement Request Bulletin
Attention Blade mCP X Owners

Horizon Product Support has received reports from customers concerning the new Blade mCP X ultra-micro collective pitch helicopter. Specifically, some customers have reported Main Blade Grips separating from the Main Rotor Head. Horizon Product Development has updated the main rotor head assembly and is offering it free of charge to end consumers.
Please inspect your Main Blade Grips. If your helicopter does not have a “B” molded into the blade grips, complete the Blade mCP X Main Rotor Head Replacement Request form below.

link to replacement form:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...equestform.pdf
chandlert is offline Find More Posts by chandlert
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:51 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
I don't own an mCPx but I got the email bulletin announcing the availability of the new "B" grips.

I think I'll still sit back and wait until people start sending back feedback how good those new grips are before I take the plunge.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by asosestrom View Post
Did anyone else just get an e-mail from HH with a main rotor head replacement offer?

E-mail offers free replacement for heads without a B mark on the blade grip.
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:52 PM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,306 Posts
Wow.
My respect to Horizon for sending advanced blade grips for free to all customers - I did not expect this.

Thank you,

Walter
Donaldsneffe is online now Find More Posts by Donaldsneffe
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:06 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihover View Post
Is anyone still on the original, as supplied, set of blade grips, bearings and feathering shaft?

If so how many flights have they lasted?
Ihover,

During my standard CP heli preflight routine, I found an outer bearing that was showing signs of impending failure. Had 3 hrs of time on it - hovering, FFF circuits, and a few loops. No crashes or blade-strikes. I replaced both grips.

Since then, I have had one blade-strike that was severe enough to deform the mainshaft & bend the feathering-shaft. During the post-crash inspection, I also found the grip bearings to have significantly more play than they did prior to the crash. So, I replaced them again.

There seems to be two bearing scenarios:

1) Bad bearings from the factory

2) Crash-damaged bearings

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:16 PM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
But you said you had a problem during flight, so it's obviously not working as you expect. Theory is one thing, but your helicopter failing to fly properly after you've exceeded the recommended flight time is closer to the truth.
No, that wasn't me with the problem. I believe it was Tim716.

Not sure what method you use, but I can't measure Milliamp Hour usages 'theoretically' - I'm referring to flight times and measured usage at 2 specific points:
1. LVC - 200+ mAh
2. 5 minutes hovering and slow figure 8's (hovering fr 5 mins does get dry) - 160mAh

In 'theory' the manual says I can't get 5 mins for 160mAh usage. But I can. Maybe it's my super lube habits, but my mcpx is certainly 'performing' as such in 'tests'. Nothing theoretical here.
rchelijc is online now Find More Posts by rchelijc
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:21 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,352 Posts
Yeah, but maybe there's a reason why they only want you to fly 4 minutes max, and it has nothing to do with those numbers. Like possibly... all the batteries that have been failing early for people? I'd bet a dollar that happens because they are "getting 5 minute flight times no problem"
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:22 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
192 flights on mine.Rotating through 4 batteries.4 minutes a flight.Still getting the same performance throughout each flight.Been doing that since I got it.
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:25 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Props to HH for responding to the grip issue so quickly. I've already emailed them the form. Haven't personally had a blade failure but best to play it safe.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:33 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinbeachman View Post
192 flights on mine.Rotating through 4 batteries.4 minutes a flight.Still getting the same performance throughout each flight.Been doing that since I got it.
That's awesome. What's your typical flight profile? I'm going to concentrate on hovering and basic forward and backward (upright) flight for the first 20 flights or so to give things a chance to "bed in" before anything too aggressive. I REALLY want this heli to perform well as it's a concept I've been wanting for a long time. And, that "perform" also includes me not pushing myself too hard, too soon with it.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:37 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Quote:
That's awesome. What's your typical flight profile? I'm going to concentrate on hovering and basic forward and backward (upright) flight for the first 20 flights or so to give things a chance to "bed in" before anything too aggressive. I REALLY want this heli to perform well as it's something I've been wanting for a long time. And, that "perform" also includes me not pushing myself too hard, too soon with it.
All FF.Fast banking turns around the trees on my property,fast runs into high stall turns,relatively slow patterns to work on precision.Basically,high-speed free-form cruising.
BTW,a lot of time spent hovering can be harder on the motors and batts than FF.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:40 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinbeachman View Post
All FF.Fast banking turns around the trees on my property,fast runs into high stall turns,relatively slow patterns to work on precision.Basically,high-speed free-form cruising.
BTW,a lot of time spent hovering can be harder on the motors and batts than FF.
Form/free cruise. That's a term I haven't heard in a LONG time... Yes, I guess if ambient temperatures are high, moving the heli around in FF can help with cooling airflow. Plus, you're not running the motor(s) at a constant speed within a confined envelope.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:42 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Quote:
Form/free cruise. That's a term I haven't heard in a LONG time... Yes, I guess if ambient temperatures are high, moving the heli around in FF can help with cooling airflow. Plus, you're not running the motor(s) at a constant speed within a confined envelope.
Yep,getting a lot of free lift.Just having a frikkin ball.This thing looks great hauling butt towards you about a foot off the deck!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:47 PM
Alberta, canada
Joined Apr 2009
640 Posts
Well I am a member of the mcp club. I got mine today, already had three brutal crashes. But only damage was a missing ball link and a broken elevator ball off the swash. I find it unusual how they designed that portion of the swash, but what ever.

I can't believe how fast this thing is! The msr has nothing on how quick this guy is, once again my hopes of an indoor aerobatic trainer may be discarded.
However its already destroyed the novus/4g3 I had this time last year. Super cool little heli, I hope I dont fall victim to the blade grip failure, but if it happens... what do you do.
chronic is offline Find More Posts by chronic