HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:12 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
Question gentleman. I crashed her pretty hard today flying in the a little too much wind. She had a very viloent shake after that and I found the main gear slide down and had a crack. Replaced the main gear, she still has a little shake but not as bad and its intermittent.. any clue? She also has a tail wiggle that wasn't their prevously. She took a good beating today. Hovering I flying around I'm fine, I'm crashing so hard because I'm trying to open my flight envelope.
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:15 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
Question gentleman. I crashed her pretty hard today flying in the a little too much wind. She had a very viloent shake after that and I found the main gear slide down and had a crack. Replaced the main gear, she still has a little shake but not as bad and its intermittent.. any clue? She also has a tail wiggle that wasn't their prevously. She took a good beating today. Hovering I flying around I'm fine, I'm crashing so hard because I'm trying to open my flight envelope.
Could very well be a bent feathering shaft throwing off the 3n1 system. I go through these things like candy.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:18 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
Could very well be a bent feathering shaft throwing off the 3n1 system. I go through these things like candy.
Let me go check...

Ok I checked and all is well with those.
Last edited by Diesel6401; Apr 24, 2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Updated
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Let me go check...
best way to test is pop the blades off, get a Philips and a flat head and go into each side and spin one. If if rotates smoothly, your fine. If the blade grips go up and down, $4.99 at your lhs (sorry if you already know this, just trying to help)

edit// found this as it took me a bit my first time to figure out what it is.
MCPX - How to check if the feathering shaft is bent - Fast Method (1 min 34 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:23 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
Quote:
best way to test is pop the blades off, get a Philips and a flat head and go into each side and spin one. If if rotates smoothly, your fine. If the blade grips go up and down, $4.99 at your lhs (sorry if you already know this, just trying to help)

edit// found this as it took me a bit my first time to figure out what it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HueFfE3DtLQ
I must of looked at the wrong thing then let me try and see if I can follow your instructions. No i didn't know that already and thanks
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:34 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
ok checked and rechecked per the video and i didn't feel any real difference.

It's so intermittent on takeoff, but very noticeable in change from pitch up to pitch down. I changed the pitch to 70 and it worked good inside, but outside I went to 85.
Last edited by Diesel6401; Apr 24, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:59 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:

It's so intermittent on takeoff, but very noticeable in change from pitch up to pitch down. I changed the pitch to 70 and it worked good inside, but outside I went to 85.
Did you check if the main shaft is split/cracked? Also check for any play in the rotor head. Are the servos twitching before you throttle up?
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:

Could possibly just need to be re-bound to the transmitter. Took me almost a week and around $20 to figure that out once.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:37 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Did you check if the main shaft is split/cracked? Also check for any play in the rotor head. Are the servos twitching before you throttle up?
Didn't feel any play. Yea servo's chatter depending on how blades are sitting or how im holding it. Feels/sounds normal to all the other cyclic linear servos ive dealt with. All the umx planes use them, not sure if same part number but same concept.

Quote:
Could possibly just need to be re-bound to the transmitter. Took me almost a week and around $20 to figure that out once.
Worth a try...

This is some of the best parts of the hobby, troubleshooting new problems and learning. Also can piss you off the quickest lol
Thanks for helping by the way. You heli guys are awesome!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Didn't feel any play. Yea servo's chatter depending on how blades are sitting or how im holding it. Feels/sounds normal to all the other cyclic linear servos ive dealt with. All the umx planes use them, not sure if same part number but same concept.

Worth a try...

This is some of the best parts of the hobby, troubleshooting new problems and learning. Also can piss you off the quickest lol
haha tha trouble shooting/repairs/building is the best part! That and the friendships
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Hey guys, is there not a thread dedicated to brushless for the mcpx on rcg? I can't find one.
I was wondering what some people are using for their throttle, pitch, and travel settings on the higher rpm motors. I don't want to bore the non brushless people with the details...
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:

Worth a try...

Hmm so far for me in the last year of my mcpx experience, every shaking and tail problem I have had has been one of these:

1) dirty servos
2) swash needing rubber grommets
3) cracked main shaft
4) loose rotor head
5) bend feathering shaft
6) not properly seated main gear
7) blades too loose / too tight or out of balance (not really sure this was a cause)
8) unexplained mystery and finally just stopped twitching

If you plug in and let it bind and then set it on a table and let it sit there and the servos are spazzing out then they may need to be cleaned. If you hold it in your hand and spool up they should not be twitching.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:17 PM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Hmm that is a lot like what I have seen as well.
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:57 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
The rubber gromets on the swash im not familiar with. Maybe I should replace the feathering shaft just as an elimination process. Would that introduce a tail wiggle?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:37 PM
REYNALDO
Cyprus, Nicosia
Joined Dec 2011
246 Posts
Quote:
The rubber gromets on the swash im not familiar with. Maybe I should replace the feathering shaft just as an elimination process. Would that introduce a tail wiggle?
tail wiggle eliminated to an extended tailboom,if the tail rotate clockwise as you start the bird it so sure the feathering shaft is bend.as you start to move your stick the tail motor must come first and the tail move rigth and left you dont have a problem on the feathering shaft and you feel the smooth lift.
rynldgalano is offline Find More Posts by rynldgalano