HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:42 AM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliStyle View Post
have any of you guys run the aero M5 Brushless Outrunner Motor 11500kv with the extended boom mod with stock tail motor?

any thoughts on it?

looking to go brushless with this motor and want thoughts about it compare to stock brushed motor
Thats a perfect set up for indoors and outfoors you will like it..
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:52 AM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckos View Post
Hi there, regarding the brushless conversion does anyone know if the oversky 6A or 10A BL converter are fully linear when plugged or do they require soldering on the board?
I see mainly poeple with C05 with 9T and HP5S with 9T but how does the HP5S do with a 8T?

I'm getting an oversky 10A + HP5S 9T combo but I suspect it's too powerful. I'd like to be able to fly in normal mode in my living room without insane HS and battery consumption (I'm getting 5 min with my Hyperion 240mAh) and be able to release more power for mid 3D outside in ST1/2.
I'm pretty used with the stock motor feeling so I'd like to get about the same collective feeling
but with more punch.
What curves are you guys using?
No need for a 10amp.. Im using the hpo5s 9t pinion with a flashed 7amp esc In governer mode hyperion 550s, unless you have good collective management your going to put holes in the walls indoors with all that power lol
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:56 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,432 Posts
I just picket up a used mCPx to get my feet wet with helis. Been flying fixed wing planes for about 6 years. Looking forward to a new challenge!

First up is replacing the frame as the canopy mounting studs are broken off. I have the new frame in hand. Then it's time to program the DX7.
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich View Post
I just picket up a used mCPx to get my feet wet with helis. Been flying fixed wing planes for about 6 years. Looking forward to a new challenge!

First up is replacing the frame as the canopy mounting studs are broken off. I have the new frame in hand. Then it's time to program the DX7.
If it is just the front 2 pins I wouldn't bother & just use a piece of velcro on the fuse & the battery holder bottom to keep it on. If the rears are broken then yeah I would replace the frame. These things break pins like candy apparently though I got 10 months out of mine. Velcro is working well so far......

Cam
qcman is offline Find More Posts by qcman
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:11 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
Any of you use aluminum shafts?
I did. A minor collision and it bent - major vibrations. I went back to the MH carbon shaft.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
I did. A minor collision and it bent - major vibrations. I went back to the MH carbon shaft.

Rick
Haha I had 4 of them, 1 came on the heli. The one on the heli was ok but after a crash my swash was getting stuck on the aluminum. Tried to get it off and it was just too far gone to save. I then decided to test the strength of the shafts and they were just horrid. Picked up a new carbon fiber shaft today and a new swash and I am good as new. I wouldnt ever recommend anyone spend money on them. These were free and I just threw them out.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:54 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
If it is just the front 2 pins I wouldn't bother & just use a piece of velcro on the fuse & the battery holder bottom to keep it on. If the rears are broken then yeah I would replace the frame. These things break pins like candy apparently though I got 10 months out of mine. Velcro is working well so far......

Cam
Thanks Cam, I'll do the velcro thing!
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:47 PM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Aluminium shafts are a complete waste of money. Unless you have a passion for bend tube modelling.
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:35 AM
Sir
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jul 2010
172 Posts
I want to go brushless, I have almost all the microheli stuff like body, head, extended aluminum boom and frame, so heli is a bit heavier now, just curious if the HP05 with thesteve is worth $105, since I can get a ESC and C05m from Astroid for just $40, and break out my soldering iron and hope I don't miss.
Varekai is offline Find More Posts by Varekai
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:28 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich View Post
Thanks Cam, I'll do the velcro thing!
You're welcome! Hopefully that works okay for you. I used a velcro strip that comes with one of the stock batteries on the inside of the fuse use & then just a "fluffy" piece LOL of velcro on the battery holder..

Cam
qcman is offline Find More Posts by qcman
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:13 PM
Sir
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jul 2010
172 Posts
Well, guess Brushless is out of the question for now, my MCPx just went poof. Did a regular flight round, went to pop in a freshly charged battery, and smoke starting coming from the motherboard. Now the soldered joints by where the tail motor plugged in are burnt and just for the hell of it I plugged the battery back in and the tail motor just goes full throttle. So I guess I need to save up for a new 3-in-1. That's $70 I don't have, so looks like I'm grounded for a good 2 months. This sucks...
Varekai is offline Find More Posts by Varekai
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:13 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
There's several of us here who can fix those boards.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:17 PM
Australia, NSW, Meadowbank
Joined Nov 2010
194 Posts
Any aussies on here that can fix 3-in-1's? I had a nasty encounter with a park bench and it seems the gyro chip has unseated. I get no radio interaction unless I press on the chip.
ecenshu is offline Find More Posts by ecenshu
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:23 PM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Mate a couple of guys on a fb group may be able to help - check out RC Helicopter, Buy, Swap, Sell and Discuss Australia.
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:35 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenshu View Post
Any aussies on here that can fix 3-in-1's? I had a nasty encounter with a park bench and it seems the gyro chip has unseated. I get no radio interaction unless I press on the chip.
Google " Toaster oven reflow soldering"
My board was hit in a mid air and would not connect or bind.
The board was cracked and had a couple of broken traces. Fixed those but still would not work, so I assumed some of the solder joints had failed like yours.
Quick trip through the reflow oven and it has worked perfectly since.
You don't need the fancy temperature controllers, I just used the simplest instructions based on using the built in thermostat and a stop watch .

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie