HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:25 PM
Team CJ Youngblood
United States, WV, Wheeling
Joined Jul 2009
1,478 Posts
Good batteries also helps...I recently got the Nanotech 1s batteries and it is almost like a whole new helicopter
anthony7820 is offline Find More Posts by anthony7820
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:29 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony7820 View Post
Good batteries also helps...I recently got the Nanotech 1s batteries and it is almost like a whole new helicopter
+1! The nanos definitely maintain voltage under load much better than the stock cells. For even more power - try the Hyperion 250s.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:34 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Loosely on-topic comment here...

I just wanted to say - I got my first non-mircor heli this week - a flybarless Trex 450 Pro with the 3GX gyro. And I have to say... for those of you wondering if you can use the mCPx to learn to fly CP helis and then easily progress onto something like this. The answer is ABSOLUTELY!! The skills directly translated. I did my maiden this morning and it was awesome. I immediately felt comfortable and started flying circuits within 4 seconds of lifting off.

Just like with fixed-wing aircraft, the bigger it is, the more stable it flies - especially with a gyro. So, if you're comfortable flying circuits with the mCPx then you are ready for a bigger heli. I wasn't even nervous! It was great!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:38 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post

I just wanted to say - I got my first non-mircor heli this week - a flybarless Trex 450 Pro with the 3GX gyro. And I have to say... for those of you wondering if you can use the mCPx to learn to fly CP helis and then easily progress onto something like this. The answer is ABSOLUTELY!! The skills directly translated. I did my maiden this morning and it was awesome. I immediately felt comfortable and started flying circuits within 4 seconds of lifting off.

Just like with fixed-wing aircraft, the bigger it is, the more stable it flies - especially with a gyro. So, if you're comfortable flying circuits with the mCPx then you are ready for a bigger heli. I wasn't even nervous! It was great!
The heli of choice for most is a 600.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:39 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
The heli of choice for most is a 600.

Rick
Baby steps Rick... Baby Steps!!

I'm mainly a fixed-wing guy at heart so I'm just dabbling in this whole heli side of the hobby. I've got great respect for heli guys though - it clearly takes more skill in my book.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Hi all, my mcp x recently started playing up and yaws right randomly and suddenly with no rudder input. I put a post up in the beginner section but not sure if it should have gone in here?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587092

Cheers.
Surgeant is offline Find More Posts by Surgeant
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:06 PM
Team CJ Youngblood
Joined Jul 2009
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgeant View Post
Hi all, my mcp x recently started playing up and yaws right randomly and suddenly with no rudder input. I put a post up in the beginner section but not sure if it should have gone in here?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587092

Cheers.
Make sure your tail connector is plugged in all the way to the board.

Also make sure that the green side on the connector for the tail motor is facing outward on the board.

Hopefully this helps...If not let me know
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:41 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post

Turnerm,

Congrats on your maiden & transition to a larger bird! I've had my eye on the Blade 450 X flybarless for awhile, and now they're releasing a 300 X - along with a 500 X! I'm leaning toward the 300 X, as it's just the right size for flying around the backyard from my deck. I think a 450 would be a bit large to really throw around without going to my open north yard.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:51 PM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
I have a mcpx that when flying seems to power off and then back on again, the blue light goes out and then back on again when it powers off. Makes flying it interesting! Anyone seen this before?
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:15 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebarrow View Post
I have a mcpx that when flying seems to power off and then back on again, the blue light goes out and then back on again when it powers off. Makes flying it interesting! Anyone seen this before?
Steve,

Haven't seen that yet. How much time on the bird?

I really hate deadstick landings. Especially in rotorcraft that are unable to autorotate!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:15 AM
Team CJ Youngblood
Joined Jul 2009
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebarrow View Post
When does it happen?...Does it ever happen just hovering?...Or when your bogging the motor?

It could be a bad battery, I had that happen to me while I was in a hurricane, using a lot of pitch the helicopter will just shut off.

Try another battery and see what happens, if it only happens on one of your batteries then there is your problem

Also check the solder connection at the battery plug end and also on the board

One of my friends had the same problem and a few days later his board connection just came off
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:51 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
567 Posts
Anyone ever have the problem where you're flying okay for a minute or two, then the heli starts shuddering a bit and yawing to the right until it becomes uncontrollable enough to need to be set back down? It's like something is shaking loose but when I check my main gear it's well seated, and the teeth on it are fine. All the servos seem to have their full range of motion. Subsequent takeoffs will see it pivot clockwise on the skids. I can counter it with a bit of left stick, eventually I lose the ability to yaw left and succumb to the rightward spinning again. This seems to have started after a failed roll attempt. I'm thinking my next stepl will be to replace the tail motor. BTW I'm running the v2 tail blade. When I unplug the battery and reseat it again the problem seems to go away and I can fly for a minute or two before it starts again.

Thanks!
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:55 AM
elkton, md
Joined Jun 2007
108 Posts
hi everyone. is there a wow hobbies brushless pnp kit forum area around here? i'm have some tail problems on a new kit set up. my tail is not holding at all. thanks
ps. i'm loving the sound of the new head speed. only if i can get the tail to hold. i can't even get it off the ground. it just spins tail to the right(looking at tail in) if i try to keep throttle on, the heli will flip on it's left side. somehow, i/it broke the tail blade in half. so now i need a new one
nothinbetr2do is offline Find More Posts by nothinbetr2do
Last edited by nothinbetr2do; Feb 04, 2012 at 03:28 AM. Reason: adding to post
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:16 AM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
U have tried different cells no difference. Tried plugging in and moving the battery wires but can't replicate. It happens in a hover. The board connection looks ok but I might resoldier it to be sure. It is about 50-100 flights old. It came from a friend who never got it to fly as he liked. He can fly and purchased a v2 and gave me the v1 to play with. Thanks for the advice do far.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:21 AM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
I thought it was a power supply issue as hand blue light turned off and then back on when the power dipped. It is still fly able when it comes back. Just no control for the moment it is out. As I mentioned before it happens in a hover I am also thought had main motor might be going but I don't that it would come back if it was an esc cutting out.