SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,863 Posts
Damn, the main shaft is fragile, huh? I didn't even crash hard and it's toast. I have a solid one on order but won't be here for a few days. ANyone know offhand what size the carbon rod is? Might be a good idea to get a length of it and cut them myself.
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:35 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
Damn, the main shaft is fragile, huh? I didn't even crash hard and it's toast. I have a solid one on order but won't be here for a few days. ANyone know offhand what size the carbon rod is? Might be a good idea to get a length of it and cut them myself.
interesting. i've crashed mine several dozen times into all sorts of objects, that's one of the few things I haven't broken (tail boom, blades, landing gear, tail rotors, and swash links so far). what was the crash like?
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Oct 2002
1,863 Posts
Nothing bad, hovering around, full headspeed, knicked my garbage can as I flew by and tumbled to ground a few feet. I've definitely had way worse!

Only reason I knew it was that was because the main gear and main shaft notch wasn't aligned, so I held the gear and twisted the head - the whole head twisted but the bottom half of main shaft never spun.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Derfman,

Check this post out:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8160

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfman View Post
Hi guys,

im new here and i have a few questions, hopefully someone can help.

before i got the dx6i, i used the dx4. when throttling, the nose of the mcpx would turn right, so i adjusted with a little bit of rudder while throttling, and was able to do nice clean lift off, almost straight up.

now with my dx6i, when i throttle up, the heli wants to tilt on its side. This never happened on the dx4. I used settings straight from the manual. is this normal for the heli to tilt? when i watched the dvd that came with the mcpx, it said DO NOT touch cyclics until you are off the ground.

with my dx6i if i do not touch the cyclic to adjust the tilt, the heli just falls over and the blades will strike the ground. what am i supposed to do?

also in the dx6i menu, what is Pitch hold? another thing i noticed is that on the dx4, when throttling, it seemed to spin up slower. on the dx6i, i barely move the throttle then all of a sudden BAM it spins up too fast. is there a way to turn this down, so that it spins up a little slower (like how it is on the dx4)?

i've also watched the videos and read the post on leveling the swash for 0 pitch, but no matter what i do, i cant get the blades to be even like the video. any suggestions for this?

Thank you and sorry for such a long post.
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:00 PM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCARUS View Post
a few threads back I posted about the 28 dollar full cnc upgrade package from hobbycool again........28 BUCKS!!!

link:http://www.hobbycool.com/mcpx-comati...red-p-420.html

i ordered two set ups...red and silver. also note that I ordered in on wendsday and I got it on saturday...FAST

I got an immediate order confirmation via email and a tracking number about 1hr after I placed the order

there were some concerns about quality at this price.

Im not a good heli pilot. infact im am just learning to hover so im not the best person to tell you if this will hold up to 3d demands etc. but the parts "look Good" and dont bend under my finger pressure. I attached a bumch of pictures for you guys to take a look.

I just checked site...SOLD OUT..glad i got mine early

have not put them onyet..8 moth old its wearing me out!!!

this is what you get:

Aluminum MCPX Compatible Upgrade Parts (Red)

1x Aluminum main rotor hub with hard ware r-2

2x Aluminum Main Blade Grip with Bearing r-3

1x Aluminum Precision Swashplate set r-1

1x Aluminum Shaft Collar r-4

1x Aluminum Main Rotor Shaft

1x Aluminum Feature Shaft

5x screws

Weight:15 grams
Please post some flight videos.
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:31 PM
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jun 2011
407 Posts
It's 3mm. The rod I use is Great Planes GPMR7790

Quote:
DudeInMyrtleBch is offline Find More Posts by DudeInMyrtleBch
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:36 PM
cjg
"Pull up, pull up!"
Vermillion, SD
Joined Jan 2006
454 Posts
Turboracer
Could your blade grips be too tight? Ive never broken the main shaft because the blades give first.
cjg is offline Find More Posts by cjg
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:21 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
3MM on sp100

Quote:
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:41 PM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
Thanks.

Did you keep your tail lined up with the frame or at a slight angle?
Straight, but have flown with a stock tail that was offset by 20 degrees down and it flew ok.
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:47 PM
gilbert AZ
Joined Oct 2007
283 Posts
will try to get some vids..but baby duty got me on lockdown. I did notice that the feathering shaft was missing out of both kits. also a alluminum tail shaft is in kit but not described in kit description BUT in picture of kit???!> sent a message to hobbycool.....waiting
INCARUS is offline Find More Posts by INCARUS
Last edited by INCARUS; Feb 02, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Oct 2002
1,863 Posts
3mm huh? I bought 2.8mm because I thought I read that it was just a hair under 3mm!

The 2.8 has a bit of play in the swashplate.. I will try to return it and get 3mm rod.

For the time being, I dripped a few drops of CA down the main shaft that had a hair crack on it. It seems better, going to fly it in the garage in a few to test.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:22 AM
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jun 2011
407 Posts
Well, it is a hair smaller -- 2.95mm to 2.98mm is about what you get with the Great Planes cf rod. It's perfect. 2.8 is going to be too small.

Quote:
3mm huh? I bought 2.8mm because I thought I read that it was just a hair under 3mm!

The 2.8 has a bit of play in the swashplate.. I will try to return it and get 3mm rod.

For the time being, I dripped a few drops of CA down the main shaft that had a hair crack on it. It seems better, going to fly it in the garage in a few to test.
DudeInMyrtleBch is offline Find More Posts by DudeInMyrtleBch
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
thank you. i will take a look at it.
Derfman is offline Find More Posts by Derfman
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:29 AM
Mad ExperiMentalist
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined Dec 2010
143 Posts
What is "durometer?" A measure of hardness?
mikerxer is offline Find More Posts by mikerxer
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:04 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Hi Guys,
I put a post up somewhere about making replacement main shafts and one thing that I have found is that the diameter of carbon rod varies from rod to rod. I took my swash plate and a bearing down to the LHS and just picked out the best two rods in rack. Some rods would not go through at all and some were really sloppy so I guess that the quality control or manufacturing tolerances of this stuff is quite wide.
Furthermore, I remember from my (very far off) engineering days that ‘round’ steel rods are actually produced in 3 different thicknesses for each diameter!! ‘Clearance fit’, a couple of thou smaller to allow a component to be able to slide along a shaft with room for lubrication and without creating friction (Swash plate), ‘Interference fit’, which was pretty much spot on meaning that for example a bearing would be a VERY tight fit but still would need to be secured to a shaft and anything that would have to slide on the shaft would rub causing friction (heat). The last diameter was ‘Press fit’ which is a couple of thou thicker so that components (like bearings) could be permanently mounted using heat/ cold or a press and nothing would slide on the shaft. All in all, it depends on ‘which’ 3mm the manufactures used!!
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB