HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:32 PM
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
LOL , someone pointed out in another forum , that the twelve beeps you here in the video , must be him punching a cheat code into the controller
mCP_X is offline Find More Posts by mCP_X
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:32 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot in MO View Post
I cannot keep up with all the threads but bought two mCPx BNFs......the first is back at Horizon as of yesterday. It did some really weird stuff right out of the box, including bearing failure. My second one had a weird vibration just before liftoff, I could see that there was some play in the main shaft but just pushing/trying to get the gear snap into place didn't work. I finally got it seated correctly and this one sounds good and flies flawlessly.

I firmly believe that Horizon will fix or replace my other heli. If the bearings prove to be too weak or flawed for this application, they will revise them.

I watched the vid of the bearing failure and laughed the whole time.....the pilot couldn't even establish a stable hover.....when it started shaking he kept on flying until it self-destructed DUH!!!!! Try that with a 700 class in the house.

It is ashamed that unskilled pilots are buying these birds, fly them when they should be grounded for inspection/maintenance until they toss something. Some will say I am siding with Horizon, some will always claim the design is flawed.....

I will fly my second bird with confidence now that I know what symptoms to watch for and how to fix them. I hope every mCPx owner flies safe and has fun

Ron
My bearing failed on my first bnf. I bought a second and replaced bearings, and no fail with lots of flights. I replaced the bearings in the first one too, and all good. HH was willing to replace the first completely, but I refused. Instead they are sending me blades, grips, and feathering shaft. HH has great service, and I will continue to do business with them as a result. Definitely the bearing was the cause.
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:41 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,125 Posts
Hasher66 & hydro pyro: cheers guys, solved. Been flying this for two weeks now, never any issues. Like I said, it was still fine in the air but the sound and vibration alerted me. First time I had to shove it back up ;-) Flies like new.
Chris Burton is online now Find More Posts by Chris Burton
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:48 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragzilla View Post
WOW!, some of you have nothing better to do than judge and accuse....
Welcome to the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
If someone has the issue that you filmed and flies it until it seperates then it is their fault.... You could tell before lift off it wasnt going to fly how it should...silly test.
Yeah this is clearly a deliberate attempt to make the thing blow up. This makes people suspicious that something was done to make it happen. So, in addition to the fact that the heli is clearly broken to begin with, the general tone of the video is very suspicious.

We know that there is a problem. Fueling the fire with contrived videos isn't actually helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mCP_X View Post
LOL , someone pointed out in another forum , that the twelve beeps you here in the video , must be him punching a cheat code into the controller
Said he was increasing the pitch - whatever it was it clearly made the problem worse. It is very suspicious anyway - first you demonstrate absolutely no problem other than you suck at flying, and then you do something that clearly causes a catastrophe. It held together for the first part of the video, in spite of the vibration and horrible piloting - so what made it fail immediately after that? Clearly, it was holding together just fine, then it wasn't...

So, while I applaud the effort to make people aware of this issue, I think this video perhaps does more harm than good, due to it being a fairly obvious contrived situation. Videos that I have done, where I mention the problem right in the unboxing, and that others have done, which take a FAIR look at this issue, will help a lot more. In fact, your video is hurting the credibility of those of us who are speaking fairly about the problem.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:51 PM
If it ain't broke, fix it.
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Burton View Post
Hasher66 & hydro pyro: cheers guys, solved. Been flying this for two weeks now, never any issues. Like I said, it was still fine in the air but the sound and vibration alerted me. First time I had to shove it back up ;-) Flies like new.
Excellent! Keep an eye on that main gear, by the way. But you'll probably know what the problem is now when you hear it.

Cheers!
Hasher66 is offline Find More Posts by Hasher66
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:54 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
In fact, your video is hurting the credibility of those of us who are speaking fairly about the problem.
+1!!!

This issue is real, and making contrived videos only makes people doubt the reality of the problem by making it look like it was done on purpose.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:54 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
So I got brave today and did my first loop! I tried a second as well, though it didn't go quite as well. Luckily, there was no damage. I'm starting to get the hang of this thing, just a little bit! It'll still be awhile before I actually try to hover upside down! I love that the condos I live in have a large front yard. It makes practice a bit less stressful as I have something soft to crash in!
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasher66 View Post
+1!!!

This issue is real, and making contrived videos only makes people doubt the reality of the problem by making it look like it was done on purpose.
I think fragzillas intention was to get a video of the bearings failing so people who haven't had a failure yet could see what it looks like. So to get said video, he had to set up a situation where they had a good chance of failing.

Good luck so far for me, I haven't had the bearings fail, and I haven't changed their direction yet either.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:57 PM
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
I think this video perhaps does more harm than good, due to it being a fairly obvious contrived situation. Videos that I have done, where I mention the problem right in the unboxing, and that others have done, which take a FAIR look at this issue, will help a lot more. In fact, your video is hurting the credibility of those of us who are speaking fairly about the problem.
+1 well said jasmine2501
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:00 PM
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
So I got brave today and did my first loop! I tried a second as well, though it didn't go quite as well. Luckily, there was no damage. I'm starting to get the hang of this thing, just a little bit! It'll still be awhile before I actually try to hover upside down! I love that the condos I live in have a large front yard. It makes practice a bit less stressful as I have something soft to crash in!
Hi bdshort
i think this is what is so great about this machine , it is helping a lot of people improve their skills
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:11 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
I think fragzillas intention was to get a video of the bearings failing so people who haven't had a failure yet could see what it looks like. So to get said video, he had to set up a situation where they had a good chance of failing.

Good luck so far for me, I haven't had the bearings fail, and I haven't changed their direction yet either.
Except for the fact that he denied that his main gear was not clicked up tight, which was exactly what was going on in order to make those vibrations occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasher66 View Post
That sounds just like mine does when the main gear has slipped down the shaft. Is that what's going on with yours as well? Have you checked it and clicked it tight in place, so that there is no up or down play in the main shaft?
Quote:
Yes, it was all perfect, the shaft had no movement.

Keep in mind this is only the 2nd time this has been spooled up, brand new.

So, either he completely missed it and didn't know what he needed to look for in order to solve a simple problem like pushing the main gear back up...or even worse...he pushed the main gear down in order to make the vibrations occur in the first place.

EDIT: BTW, in order for the vibrations to be that severe, the main gear has to be way down the shaft, and there is huge up and down play in the main shaft. Most of the time, a mild main gear slip shows up as a minor version of the vibrations shown in the video, and may only occur at mid stick, and then disappear as the throttle goes up.
Last edited by Hasher66; Mar 23, 2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:11 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
I just...can't...stop...ordering...stuff for the mCP X I don't even have yet! Should be here tomorrow, but I went ahead and ordered some 1 x 4 x 1.12mm Boca Bearings to replace the stock blade grip bearings. I want NO part of this blade slinging crap. I've used Boca Bearings for many years and never, ever had one fail, tighten up, get rough, etc. $12 with free shipping is cheap peace of mind...
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:31 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I need to either order a new tailfin, or glue the one I have to the boom. One of the clips broke, so it's no longer held on very well.

I forgot he was saying the main gear was fine. Sometimes when mine has come loose, I can't always make the shaft move up and down, and I think where you grip it makes a difference. So for reference, the top of the main gear, and the top of the pinion should be aligned. There should be about 1/32 of an inch of the shaft sticking out below the main gear.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:32 PM
United Kingdom, Knutsford
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mCP_X View Post
+1

my money is on the bearing failed before the video , and pre-flight involved tying it back together with dental floss

i have no doubt that there are bearing failures , but i seriously doubt this video was not staged
Sadly, agree it was staged. Within first 30 seconds "I have tied a piece of dental floss around the grips to ensure that it is not going to blow apart on me TOO much"
ihover is offline Find More Posts by ihover
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:33 PM
Plane and Heli Abuser
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Aug 2010
416 Posts
Quote:
WOW!, some of you have nothing better to do than judge and accuse....

There is a reason this was my first post - the crap people come out with is not worth being a registered contributing memeber. I have been lurking on this site for a long time without a single post - there is a reason for that.

This wasnt staged, and yes I WANTED it to fail to show what happens. I had not seen a single video of it coming apart and figured there should be one. I did take it all apart and rebuild it properly, from what I could find on the net it was done correctly. I WAS excited when it blew apart, that was what I was wanting it to do. We all know these bearings should be replaced and I was already intending to replace them. In fact hour after I shot that video I had it back up and running with new bearings and have not had an issue since.

Fact is the MCP X should not have been released untill this was fixed. There are far too many people having the same issue.

Take from this video what you want. If all you want to do is shoot it down - go complain to your wife about it.

I'm out and will go back to lurking again.

Happy and safe flying too all!
Frag......do as you wish......when I posted my original observations, it was done with some thought as I am no expert CP pilot but I understand "how" CP, FP and CX birds actually fly and the basic mechanics of how the sum total of all the parts of any given design behave when everything is working correctly or how they fly when something is wrong.

I went back and watched the video again and noted that right before your bird blew the blade, I heard what sounded like "beeping" of digital trim tabs....that makes me believe that 1) You failed to read in the provided manual that this helicopter requires ZERO trimming and will in fact cause issues with the gyro or 2) It was done purposely to hasten the destruction for you video "demo" (pun intended).

My final thoughts on the video are that either your flying skills for a CP heli are limited or perhaps since the bird was close to tossing the blade it simply wasn't airworthy to begin with, either way....other than a good laugh, I found your video doesn't add any actual value to other pilots here other than demonstrate a lack of concern for safety and common sense on your part.

Also the correct spelling of "memeber" is member and the word "until" is spelled with one "l", not two.
Pilot in MO is offline Find More Posts by Pilot in MO