HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:45 PM
Flying the Spyder
United States, PA, Parkesburg
Joined Mar 2008
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobertson1277 View Post
I have a question for the more experienced out there and for those who are familiar with the Msrx. I currently have the Msrx and can hover tail-in and nose-in pretty well. However, when the rudder is applied the heli can take off very quickly in random directions. As stated a lot on the Msrx thread there seems to be stabilization issues with this heli.

I was wondering if a tamed down Mcpx 2 would be more predictable and then would also gradually allow one to improve their skills without having to compensate for quirky, random movement from their heli. I understand constant corrective actions need to be taken to fly both these heli's but I'm looking for more predictability and less random movement.

What do those who have flown both heli's think of this?

I would say the mcpx is a great choice due to it's three axis gyro. It's more stable than your flybar helis and if trimmed out right she'll fly much better than the msr.
eaglescry24 is offline Find More Posts by eaglescry24
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:47 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Well - I see now that they say on their page that it may be a very tight fit. I'd say...

Anyway - I'm starting to get better with my flying. Here's a quick video of just some simple flying this morning. I'm still struggling with right hand turns but I'll just keep practicing.

http://youtu.be/SVV16RZLK3U
Turnerm,

Good job keeping it smooth. Looks like you're progressing quickly! I took my mCP X out for a few flights this afternoon, after stuffing my Beast 3D in the tree. I've been working on figure-eights, consistent turns, and "scale-ish" flying, but it was a bit too breezy for that today, so I had fun flying FFF circuits & playing with the breeze. I am amazed at how much more fun it is to fly after converting to brushless, especially in the wind.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:47 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
846 Posts
Do the active posters on this thread of suggestions on Online Stores for parts. My used mcpx is coming next week, and I went to the LHS and they had a modest supply of items, but at retail like pricing. Are there better options I should be aware of?

I ordered three of HK 300 nanos and their parallel charge cable. This will give me 5 of those packs (2 coming with the heli). There is a longer tail boom installed but otherwise it's stock I believe.

I'm going to use my DX6i.

Suggestions appreciated.
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:08 PM
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jun 2011
407 Posts
The 3 cheapest places to get mcpx parts are:

1. valuerc on ebay
http://stores.ebay.com/ValueRC/E-Fli...=p4634.c0.m322

2. Phils Hobby Shop (online, not ebay)
http://www.philshobbyshop.com

and
3. HopMeUp
http://www.hopmeup.com

For stock parts, valuerc is almost always the cheapest anywhere. Make sure you look close -- he'll have 2 of the same parts at different prices. 1 part is a retail replacement part, and the other part will be a new part removed from a new heli. He takes mcpx's apart, and sells the parts that way at a substantial discount. If you order more than 1 part, make sure you send him a note to combine shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher View Post
Do the active posters on this thread of suggestions on Online Stores for parts. My used mcpx is coming next week, and I went to the LHS and they had a modest supply of items, but at retail like pricing. Are there better options I should be aware of?

I ordered three of HK 300 nanos and their parallel charge cable. This will give me 5 of those packs (2 coming with the heli). There is a longer tail boom installed but otherwise it's stock I believe.

I'm going to use my DX6i.

Suggestions appreciated.
DudeInMyrtleBch is offline Find More Posts by DudeInMyrtleBch
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:12 PM
Canada, AB, St. Paul
Joined Jun 2011
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobertson1277 View Post
I have a question for the more experienced out there and for those who are familiar with the Msrx. I currently have the Msrx and can hover tail-in and nose-in pretty well. However, when the rudder is applied the heli can take off very quickly in random directions. As stated a lot on the Msrx thread there seems to be stabilization issues with this heli.

I was wondering if a tamed down Mcpx 2 would be more predictable and then would also gradually allow one to improve their skills without having to compensate for quirky, random movement from their heli. I understand constant corrective actions need to be taken to fly both these heli's but I'm looking for more predictability and less random movement.

What do those who have flown both heli's think of this?

You are ahead on me with the ability to make that thing hover, mine always wanted to fly and any correction i began to undertake i wa immediately one floor or one wall or one dog or one somethig behind it(damn my wife can growel lol) so i also have a mcpx and here are my feelings about this whole darn issue.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2468
and i am about to try post that video of Tx settings on youtube so we'll see how that works out.

Cheers, Bill
RaiDar is offline Find More Posts by RaiDar
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:14 PM
Canada, AB, St. Paul
Joined Jun 2011
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiDar View Post
and i am about to try post that video of Tx settings on youtube so we'll see how that works out.
TaDa, scroll to bottom...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...25228&page=165

Cheers, Bill
RaiDar is offline Find More Posts by RaiDar
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Jan 2007
10 Posts
want to stick a mcpx tail on my msrx (seen someone on this forum do it say it works great) so which one should i buy? which one......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Flite-Blad...item3f1103431e

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-BLH350...item5ae47d8084

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-BLH360...item5ae466b1a6

why is there 3??
derrickk is offline Find More Posts by derrickk
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:21 PM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Yes it looks like it mostly a misunderstanding as how you wrote it and how I read it.
Good that you have it figured out. So back to OPs issue. I've made the same mistake StangGuy mentioned in post #7505 that it's easy for a DX6i-newbie to forget setting TA (EPA) in both directions (because you need to change the 1st # with stick up AND move the stick up to change the 2nd #). I changed just the down-pitch # so I had my pitch channel EPA set to 75% down but 100% up. Since up-pitch range is not scaled-down (I know you don't like the word but the fact is it scales down 50-100% pitch range to 50-87.5% when you have 75% up-pitch EPA), So with a 0-25-50-75-100 idle-up pitch curve, my upper-half stick range is more twitchy than with stock radio. If that's what OP experiences and calls it jumpy, then StangGuy was right-on to suggest checking both up and down pitch ranges.
Race Miata is offline Find More Posts by Race Miata
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:45 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Oct 2011
147 Posts
hey this might be a stupid question but what does the TA your talking about stand for?
Milf Hunter is online now Find More Posts by Milf Hunter
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:56 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
846 Posts
Dude... Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeInMyrtleBch View Post
The 3 cheapest places to get mcpx parts are:

1. valuerc on.
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:35 AM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milf Hunter View Post
hey this might be a stupid question but what does the TA your talking about stand for?
TA = Travel Adjust (same as endpoint adjustment EPA)
DanBo3D is offline Find More Posts by DanBo3D
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:57 AM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickk View Post
want to stick a mcpx tail on my msrx (seen someone on this forum do it say it works great)
The three steps to taming your msrx:

1) Change out the skids for mcpx skids. Crimp the rear peg slightly (very slightly) with pliers to make it a tight fit in the hole. The canopy fit will hold the the front peg in, so don't touch it.

2) Change out the tail boom for an mcpx boom. It's longer and applies more force (leverage, not because it's a bigger motor) for the same amount of energy.

3) Run mcpx batteries using the mcpx battery charging adapter cord.

The combined results all work together like magic

The longer mcpx boom doesn't have to work as hard to control rotation because of the longer boom (leverage). The tail runs cooler, your battery lasts longer. Now that the tail isn't blowing as hard, the main rotor isn't leaning in as much to counteract it either. You'll see the difference immediately. The stock msrx leans like a pig, but with the longer mcpx boom it hardly leans at all. And because it's leaning less, the nasty side effects of applying rudder control are reduced as well.

The added weight of the mcpx battery would have made it nose heavy, but now it balances out the extra tail weight of the longer boom so you can slide the batteries in to the hilt like they were made to do. I swear its like the design was calling for this in the first place. HH should have just wired an mcpx battery cable to the board and shipped these with mcpx skids and tail. Plus, now you've got some decent flying time, and you're not smoking you're batteries to their early death.

It's heavy now, so it takes more throttle (head speed) to get it off the ground. So instead of getting light in the skids and shooting off to the left before you can gain any control, it's basically planted until it gets up in the air. It takes off way smoother than my msr.

A little mix to on rudder to elevator to smooth out any remaining turn problems, and my msrx is easily more stable than my msr. I swear, it's like a whole new helicopter and it didn't need a single 'permanent' change to fix it. I could have her back to stock in less than 2 minutes. Now if I could find some slightly longer, thinner (less drag, more lift) blades to go with it, I'd be so there.

The only draw back is that now it's significantly heavy and the throttle is really sluggish. You won't be hot dogging it around the gym with this setup. If you wan't to go zipping around outdoors, you better stick to stock.

I bought the msrx so I could get more indoor practice for my mcpx (a couple hours in a gym every 2 weeks is NOT enough flying time). Out of the box, the msrx was at the edge of what I could handle indoors. Now it flies like a smaller tamer version of my mcpx which is exactly what I wanted. Maybe when smaller batteries amp up and prices come down (and my flying skills improve) I'll put it back to stock and fly lighter. But for now (after a few tweaks) it's the perfect trainer I'd hoped it would be.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Jan 2007
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post
The three steps to taming your msrx:

1) Change out the skids for mcpx skids. Crimp the rear peg slightly (very slightly) with pliers to make it a tight fit in the hole. The canopy fit will hold the the front peg in, so don't touch it.

2) Change out the tail boom for an mcpx boom. It's longer and applies more force (leverage, not because it's a bigger motor) for the same amount of energy.

3) Run mcpx batteries using the mcpx battery charging adapter cord.

The combined results all work together like magic

The longer mcpx boom doesn't have to work as hard to control rotation because of the longer boom (leverage). The tail runs cooler, your battery lasts longer. Now that the tail isn't blowing as hard, the main rotor isn't leaning in as much to counteract it either. You'll see the difference immediately. The stock msrx leans like a pig, but with the longer mcpx boom it hardly leans at all. And because it's leaning less, the nasty side effects of applying rudder control are reduced as well.

The added weight of the mcpx battery would have made it nose heavy, but now it balances out the extra tail weight of the longer boom so you can slide the batteries in to the hilt like they were made to do. I swear its like the design was calling for this in the first place. HH should have just wired an mcpx battery cable to the board and shipped these with mcpx skids and tail. Plus, now you've got some decent flying time, and you're not smoking you're batteries to their early death.

It's heavy now, so it takes more throttle (head speed) to get it off the ground. So instead of getting light in the skids and shooting off to the left before you can gain any control, it's basically planted until it gets up in the air. It takes off way smoother than my msr.

A little mix to on rudder to elevator to smooth out any remaining turn problems, and my msrx is easily more stable than my msr. I swear, it's like a whole new helicopter and it didn't need a single 'permanent' change to fix it. I could have her back to stock in less than 2 minutes. Now if I could find some slightly longer, thinner (less drag, more lift) blades to go with it, I'd be so there.

The only draw back is that now it's significantly heavy and the throttle is really sluggish. You won't be hot dogging it around the gym with this setup. If you wan't to go zipping around outdoors, you better stick to stock.

I bought the msrx so I could get more indoor practice for my mcpx (a couple hours in a gym every 2 weeks is NOT enough flying time). Out of the box, the msrx was at the edge of what I could handle indoors. Now it flies like a smaller tamer version of my mcpx which is exactly what I wanted. Maybe when smaller batteries amp up and prices come down (and my flying skills improve) I'll put it back to stock and fly lighter. But for now (after a few tweaks) it's the perfect trainer I'd hoped it would be.
thanks!
i think im just going to stick with stock boom. i dont want to chane out skids and stuff. i just bought the 190mahs. ..didnt know i had to get bigger b attires to use with the mcpx tail boom. nah..
thank you.
derrickk is offline Find More Posts by derrickk
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:25 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Does it do it on front to back flips as well or only side flips/rolls?

If it does do it for any flip it could be the tail blades pitch is messed up and is more noticable while flipping. Maybe try a new tail blade see if that helps.
I only tried side flips/rolls. Next time I'll try front/back.
This last time I was actually trying a brand new kbdd tail blade.

I had changed the main one to kbdd and this time I was trying the tail as well.
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:19 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Turnerm,

Good job keeping it smooth. Looks like you're progressing quickly! I took my mCP X out for a few flights this afternoon, after stuffing my Beast 3D in the tree. I've been working on figure-eights, consistent turns, and "scale-ish" flying, but it was a bit too breezy for that today, so I had fun flying FFF circuits & playing with the breeze. I am amazed at how much more fun it is to fly after converting to brushless, especially in the wind.

Joel
Thanks Joel. I'm trying to learn how to properly fly a CP heli. I've tried before but lost focus/interest as I was completely absorbed into my fixed wing aircraft (still am, but...). Before I move onto any mild 3D stuff I want to make sure I have scale flying down very, very well. Then I'll try my hand at flips, rolls and funnels. If that sticks then I'll think about getting a bigger heli - like a FBL 550 or something like that.

I actually made more solid progress on Saturday afternoon. I'll video some more when I get back into town (Shanghai and Tokyo this week) but so far I'm loving my mCPx.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm