HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:44 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Guys - do you think it's OK for me to put some CA on the tail boom where it splintered? I'll obviously have to be sure that none of it goes into the slot on the frame or I'll never get it back out but what if I just put some medium CA (I think thin might wick into the frame) over the splintered section?

Any issues with this?
Yeah you just have to be careful not to glue the wires as said or they will be harder to use later and can melt the coating off of them depending on the glue used.

I like to do precoat my stock boom in CA before i fly it so it doesnt splinter easily...at least it seems to help
Though most of the time now i use solid rod since it is just tuffer than tube.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jul 2011
791 Posts
I myself love my mcpx, but dont really like to fly it anymore due to how nice it is
Stugoose is offline Find More Posts by Stugoose
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:26 PM
Studio City CA
Joined Apr 2009
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugoose View Post
I myself love my mcpx, but dont really like to fly it anymore due to how nice it is
Take a photo of it in pristine condition... then fly
gfiebach is offline Find More Posts by gfiebach
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:57 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
So I bought these Spyder batteries from Progressive RC but they don't seem to fit the battery tray even though they are specifically made for the mCPx. Am I missing something or am I going to have to mod my battery tray to fit these things?

In fact... I just went back and looked at the product page and it says "Designed to fit perfectly in the Blade mCP x heli"

??
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:15 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Well - I see now that they say on their page that it may be a very tight fit. I'd say...

Anyway - I'm starting to get better with my flying. Here's a quick video of just some simple flying this morning. I'm still struggling with right hand turns but I'll just keep practicing.

mCPx basic flight (4 min 28 sec)
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, ID, Pocatello
Joined Sep 2002
60 Posts
Quote:

As for the banking on takeoff... I'm not an expert but could this have something to do with the position of the heli when initializing the gyro? I put the heli on a flat surface, plug the battery in, wait for the heli to bind (and I assume the gyro initiates at this time too) and THEN put the battery in the slot.

I don't have any issues with the heli doing anything funny on takeoff at all. I can slowly, and I mean VERY slowly, raise it into a nice stable hover without having to use any major corrective aileron or elevator adjustments.
I know I'm a little late adding to this now, but I just wanted to echo how well this little trick works. I now can take off and hover in my living room. Slow deliberate lift offs are easy to do, no having to punch it. Thanks for the tip!
miniCAP is offline Find More Posts by miniCAP
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:46 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Well - I see now that they say on their page that it may be a very tight fit. I'd say...

Anyway - I'm starting to get better with my flying. Here's a quick video of just some simple flying this morning. I'm still struggling with right hand turns but I'll just keep practicing.

http://youtu.be/SVV16RZLK3U
Looks like you are flying around pretty good
On the turns it seems one way is almost always easier for each person when they start flying heli's
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:47 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Looks like you are flying around pretty good
On the turns it seems one way is almost always easier for each person when they start flying heli's
Same way with planes too actually. For right hand turns I seem to climb a bit. Once I get it out of my head that I control speed with the left stick I'll be OK!
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:04 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Same way with planes too actually. For right hand turns I seem to climb a bit. Once I get it out of my head that I control speed with the left stick I'll be OK!
Yep as with planes as i had a similar issue too
Since making an indoor plane model it forced me to learn to navigate left and right more equal other wise it was crash after crash. In this video i was just starting to become better with right hand turns. Flying in smaller areas (planes or heli's) seems to help my learning curve because i am forced to figure out how not to crash as often
EppYak55 22" (4 min 13 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:38 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Yep as with planes as i had a similar issue too
Since making an indoor plane model it forced me to learn to navigate left and right more equal other wise it was crash after crash. In this video i was just starting to become better with right hand turns. Flying in smaller areas (planes or heli's) seems to help my learning curve because i am forced to figure out how not to crash as often
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgxjUH6gKpQ
Nice flying!! And when all else fails just jam it into the wall!!

My 3DHS 34" EPP Edge is stuck on my roof right night. No one on my street has a ladder tall enough to get up there so I'm just waiting for the wind to blow it down. I guess that battery is ruined! I got it stuck up there when I was doing a rolling harrier and a huge gust of wind came and pushed in about 10 feet to the right in a split second.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:01 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Oh it isnt when all else fails..the radio and plane worked great Only my thumbs failed Unfortunately this is something that i have had to live with in the rc hobby..

Those epp planes sure do get pushed around in the slightest wind..but atleast you will have only lost a battery
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:02 PM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthure View Post
Do both setups give you the same stick resolution? I imagine they do but I am not sure since I have never used EPA for that purpose.

Thanks

Arthur
That depends on how the code is done. But if I have to choose between:

0-25-50-75-100 PC plus 40% up-pitch EPA and
0-25-50-60-70 PC plus 100% up-pitch EPA

I'll definitely choose the 1st one because:

1. it gives me better resolution in fine-tuning my PC
2. it's the most intuitive way to do because I set "travel adjust" (EPA) first to determine what the pitch range I want and then I fine-tune my PC to get the "shape" (or characteristics) of my pitch behavior. I don't use PC to determine my pitch range.
Race Miata is online now Find More Posts by Race Miata
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:03 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I got in about 6 more flights a few minutes ago and things are starting to really click now. I was slinging the mCPx all over the yard and feeling pretty confident (which is usually when trouble strikes). I'm getting the hang of making my turns now.

I'll keep practicing until I REALLY get it down and then I'll start thinking about flipping it. I need to practice inverted flying on the sim first though so I don't get my thumbs all knotted up!
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Halifax
Joined Oct 2011
180 Posts
just bought this 12v-6v car adapter, useful for use with the mcpx standard charger
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2607235905...84.m1439.l2649
BenScoobert is offline Find More Posts by BenScoobert
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:05 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Miata View Post
That depends on how the code is done. But if I have to choose between:

0-25-50-75-100 PC plus 40% up-pitch EPA and
0-25-50-60-70 PC plus 100% up-pitch EPA

I'll definitely choose the 1st one because:

1. it gives me better resolution in fine-tuning my PC
2. it's the most intuitive way to do because I set "travel adjust" (EPA) first to determine what the pitch range I want and then I fine-tune my PC to get the "shape" (or characteristics) of my pitch behavior. I don't use PC to determine my pitch range.
See to me that is TA doing pitch curve work. Why are you using travel adjust to attempt to scale or manipulate a pitch curve when you have a pitch curve to adjust pitch and travel adjust to adjust your maximum end points Then on ccpm setup you have ccpm mixes to limit your maximum pitch values.

Anyhow as I see it if you choose "0-25-50-75-100 PC plus 40% up-pitch EPA" you will never be able to fly with two flight modes one being a normal curve the other a linear curve for stunt flying as your top pitch has been reduced by you manipulating the pitch with your end points.

I would choose the second option (only with a curve that suits my style) that has 100% EPA and gain the benefit of full collective range for another pitch curve.
Then I can have a normal curve of 42-45-50-75-100 and linear stunt curve with full collective pitch travel.

All the above is why i say EPA is not for scaling pitch and I dont consider it to do as such because in my mind it isnt for pitch scaling.

On a final curious note since you said you dont use pitch curve to determine your pitch range (single servo swash only) what curve do you fly for normal mode on your mcpx? If you dont use the pitch curve to limit the bottom then it must be linear and you must be manipulating the EPA to get lower pitch there as well. So how does advanced idle up flight with a linear pitch curve treat you? If i had to guess i would say not well or that you do not ever fly with a full collective range...maybe you prefer scale type flight
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Jan 07, 2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: misread a bit so took out content not relevant to what was acutally written..whoops