HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:18 AM
Plane and Heli Abuser
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Aug 2010
426 Posts
I cannot keep up with all the threads but bought two mCPx BNFs......the first is back at Horizon as of yesterday. It did some really weird stuff right out of the box, including bearing failure. My second one had a weird vibration just before liftoff, I could see that there was some play in the main shaft but just pushing/trying to get the gear snap into place didn't work. I finally got it seated correctly and this one sounds good and flies flawlessly.

I firmly believe that Horizon will fix or replace my other heli. If the bearings prove to be too weak or flawed for this application, they will revise them.

I watched the vid of the bearing failure and laughed the whole time.....the pilot couldn't even establish a stable hover.....when it started shaking he kept on flying until it self-destructed DUH!!!!! Try that with a 700 class in the house.

It is ashamed that unskilled pilots are buying these birds, fly them when they should be grounded for inspection/maintenance until they toss something. Some will say I am siding with Horizon, some will always claim the design is flawed.....

I will fly my second bird with confidence now that I know what symptoms to watch for and how to fix them. I hope every mCPx owner flies safe and has fun

Ron
Pilot in MO is offline Find More Posts by Pilot in MO
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:25 AM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
The bearings are the flaw, not the design. Mine flies just fine, with no issues, and the outer bearings are factory installed backwards according to the wannabee experts.

I really think they got a bad batch of bearings, which have come to pass...
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:44 AM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
I think something worth noting is the honest fact that we,or at least I,are experiencing a very different phenomenon with this heli as it pertains to crashing.I'm finding that,as many crashes as I have put this thing through without any kind of breakage(I have crashed pretty hard at least 20 times),I was beginning to get used to picking it up,giving it a once over,and putting it back up in the air.Of course,that is completely different from crashing our other/bigger birds.For myself,I am going to start checking it over more thoroughly,mostly looking for a bent spindle.Is anyone else here finding themselves falling into this behaviour?
I swear I'll do better!!!
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:42 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
And, it doesn't actually solve the problem.
Nope it sure doesnt...but you can get it in a few colors...
for only $14.99!
Plus shipping and handling fee of $6.50
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
this bearing thing is driving me insane. ITS A $5 PART! just replace it and have fun! people take things to seriously like with that big alarmist "BEWARE: DONT BUY A MCPX OR YOUR KIDS WILL ALL DIE" thread. it's stupid. it's a couple bearings. replace them and enjoy. problem solved. i just dont get why people are so concerned.... let alone enough to refrain from purchase over it. i think it's more fanboyism than rationale.
PastaRocket848 is offline Find More Posts by PastaRocket848
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by
jasmine2501
And, it doesn't actually solve the problem.
Nope it sure doesnt...but you can get it in a few colors...
for only $14.99!
Plus shipping and handling fee of $6.50

it's probably a good idea to order a few sets of new servos at the same time
mCP_X is offline Find More Posts by mCP_X
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:08 PM
Skill Seeker
Cordelia, CA
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
My take on the grip bearings is that it is a marginal design coupled with a bad batch of bearings.

Some let go right out of the box, or within a few flights. That is bad bearings.

Mine lasted about 100 flights or 8 hours, and then one failed during a crash. I consider that to be the way it can be expected to work, with a good bearing.

The fact is that the current design is not "fail-safe" in that a failure does not just impair the performance of the heli, but causes separation of the blade from the heli, where it becomes a projectile. If HH had simply put a step-washer in as part of the design, then a failure would have caused binding of the grip as warning that the bearing had failed.

I went ahead and order some Boca bearings, to see what a top-quality replacement will do.
VaderSS is offline Find More Posts by VaderSS
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Sep 2009
98 Posts
Just a minor side thought I had... It's been posted that the stock bearings are 1.12 thick, but I get 1.10 with my caliper... Any one else care to take a measurement? A micrometer would be best, but I don't have one... 1.10 would make more sense to me.
turkeylord is offline Find More Posts by turkeylord
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:09 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot in MO View Post
I watched the vid of the bearing failure and laughed the whole time.....the pilot couldn't even establish a stable hover.....when it started shaking he kept on flying until it self-destructed DUH!!!!! Try that with a 700 class in the house.

Got a link to that vid? I missed it...
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:12 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastaRocket848 View Post
this bearing thing is driving me insane. ITS A $5 PART! just replace it and have fun! people take things to seriously like with that big alarmist "BEWARE: DONT BUY A MCPX OR YOUR KIDS WILL ALL DIE" thread. it's stupid. it's a couple bearings. replace them and enjoy. problem solved. i just dont get why people are so concerned.... let alone enough to refrain from purchase over it. i think it's more fanboyism than rationale.
Um, how is it "fanboyism"? If that were the case, we'd all be defending the thing to the death even WITH the bearing failures...

EVERYONE should be able to fly the thing OUT OF THE BOX safely, as long as they have the appropriate skills. This is a major failure/oversight from HH, no matter how you look at it. That said, my mCP X will be here tomorrow and I have two other Blade helis, which I fly and enjoy. Does that make me a "fanboy"? If so...read the first part again...
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:12 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
Got a link to that vid? I missed it...
MCP X Blade/Rotor Blowing Apart (2 min 45 sec)

Looks like a shill to me.
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:15 PM
If it ain't broke, fix it.
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinbeachman View Post
He actually seems quite satisfied and gleeful that he blew up his mCPX on purpose.
Hasher66 is offline Find More Posts by Hasher66
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:15 PM
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Just a minor side thought I had... It's been posted that the stock bearings are 1.12 thick, but I get 1.10 with my caliper... Any one else care to take a measurement? A micrometer would be best, but I don't have one... 1.10 would make more sense to me.
Hi turkeylord
i've had the opportunity to measure three different sets of stock mCP X bearings with my set of digital calipers , and they were all 1.12mm thick , i am not sure how they landed on using that size bearing either
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:18 PM
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Looks like a shill to me.
Hi
i agree , nobody's going to convince me that isn't staged , my money is on the bearing had already failed , and he had it tied back together with dental floss for shooting the video
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:23 PM
Skill Seeker
Cordelia, CA
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeylord View Post
My digital calipers indicated 1.12 if I just put a bit of pressure on them. If I put more pressure, they would indicate 1.11 or 1.1

1.12 actually makes perfect sense as there are bearings available in that size.

1.2 can also be used in one position, and takes out some slack that is in the stock configuration, but I'm going to stick with 1.12. 1.2 causes binding if used in both positions.
VaderSS is offline Find More Posts by VaderSS