HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:45 PM
Tail-in hover expert ;)
mediclavina's Avatar
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Aug 2006
936 Posts
What's the maximum collective pitch travel you guys use on your mCPx? I currently had mine set at 10 degrees full positive/negative.
mediclavina is offline Find More Posts by mediclavina
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:48 PM
Registered User
rsmheli's Avatar
Indiana
Joined Feb 2007
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESylin View Post
Has anyone had issues with the tail losing all control? I admit I am not the best 3d pilot, but I can flip and hover inverted with no real issues.

Well, I got my mcpx (my wife actually bought it for me for my birthday, must be she doesn't want me in the house) and flew through 3 batteries without much trouble. The fourth battery went horribly wrong about a minute and half in. I did a nice slow rainbow to bring it inverted, and the tail kicked over a little, I corrected and didn't thing much of it. Once inverted it settled in and hovered, then the tail started to drift more and more, so I went to right it. Once it was vertical, the tail went out all together, it was spinning so fast that there was nothing I could do but hit the throttle hold and hope.

So I pick it up and look it over. Servos out of position, but thats it. So I re-initialize it, the servos all come back to the proper position, spins up ok. So I lift off. The tail wants to do nothing but drift, in any flight mode, a constant counter clockwise slow piro. Even though its a constant piro speed the tail motor will spike and dive in speed. I figure that is the gyro trying to correct for a burnt tail motor.

I know the MSR had tail motor problems, but I never encountered any with mine. I went ahead and ordered a new tail/motor.

I remember seeing some videos of the developers flying and it doing a similar thing at the end of the videos.

Has anyone else run into this? Would your thoughts lean towards the motor or the 3in1?

~E
Many are having the same issue including myself.
My servos are out of position and have limited travel now.
Tail drifts and will not hold.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=286686
rsmheli is offline Find More Posts by rsmheli
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:48 PM
If it ain't broke, fix it.
Hasher66's Avatar
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Just picked up mine at Tammies.

Glad that I can finally post in this thread. No problems yet, as I haven't even taken it out of the box.

Ran into a fellow RCGer there and we helped wipe out their spare parts...they'll have more in stock soon.

P.S. Guy at the shop recommended DR/Expo at 50% and 30+% for indoors, so I'm interested in what others are finding.

(David - PM me and we'll see if we can hook up with Nw for an mCPx meet up. Oh, and cough, cough, cough... )
Hasher66 is offline Find More Posts by Hasher66
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:53 PM
2 seconds from crashing
indoorheli's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasher66 View Post
P.S. Guy at the shop recommended DR/Expo at 50% and 30+% for indoors, so I'm interested in what others are finding.
That seems to be a bit low % on rates but i guess it is what you are used to and personal preference. I think a little more pop to get out of trouble for indoors is better for me. So i run 90% and 15%. For outdoors 100% rates
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:37 PM
If it ain't broke, fix it.
Hasher66's Avatar
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
That seems to be a bit low % on rates but i guess it is what you are used to and personal preference. I think a little more pop to get out of trouble for indoors is better for me. So i run 90% and 15%. For outdoors 100% rates
Seemed a little low to me as well, but since I'll be flying almost entirely indoors today, I may start there and slowly jack up the DR as I get a feel for the thing.

Thx.
Hasher66 is offline Find More Posts by Hasher66
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:00 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
My buddy's tail motor was bad from the box. Had a 180* kick in punchout. One of mine I had to replace the tail motor after 20 flights or so. It appears these tiny motors are not going to last very long afterall.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:01 PM
Registered User
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
1,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasher66 View Post
Seemed a little low to me as well, but since I'll be flying almost entirely indoors today, I may start there and slowly jack up the DR as I get a feel for the thing.

Thx.
If you want as close to msr-like indoor flying without your mcpx speeding off into walls, try this;

D/R elev/ailr = 30%, Expo = 0% (you need to take out expo or it feels too mushy at these low rates).

Try it, you might like it!

See more at HF
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=287401

Cheers,
TomC
TomC is offline Find More Posts by TomC
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:17 PM
If it ain't broke, fix it.
Hasher66's Avatar
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
If you want as close to msr-like indoor flying without your mcpx speeding off into walls, try this;

D/R elev/ailr = 30%, Expo = 0% (you need to take out expo or it feels too mushy at these low rates).

Try it, you might like it!

See more at HF
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=287401

Cheers,
TomC
Thanks Tom! I'll try that in a bit.

I just went with D/R=65% and EXP=35% for her living room maiden, and I am very impressed. Pitch was perfect out of the box, (but the bearings in one of my blade grips was reversed from the way I want them, so I flipped them around).

No shakes, no vibrations, no other weirdness...just popped up perfectly. This thing is easier to hover than my T450, (slight exaggeration, but not much).

Little SFF around the living room...and I cannot believe a CP bird this small is this stable and easy to fly!

I'm in love. I'm gonna name her Betsy and give her an engagement ring, 'cause she's mine now.
Hasher66 is offline Find More Posts by Hasher66
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:32 PM
...into the mists of time...
Joined Jul 2007
1,228 Posts
I took it one step more and dropped the throttle and pitch curves down to 80% peak or so. Really docile now!
Warhorse is offline Find More Posts by Warhorse
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:36 PM
VAPORIZED
pappy1's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2010
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchelijc View Post
You best bet.

Are you the one who modded the mcpx with a more powerful one?

If you are, it's possible your tail is wagging (or hunting) - since the unchangeable tail gyro settings may now be too much for that motor.
Nah its stock,no crashing a few throttle holds for the few first flights i had.frm two to three feet up over grass.Other mcpx is flying great.
pappy1 is offline Find More Posts by pappy1
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:36 PM
Rif
I have my mCPX!!
Rif's Avatar
USA, IN, Crown Point
Joined Feb 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasher66 View Post
Thanks Tom! I'll try that in a bit.

I just went with D/R=65% and EXP=35% for her living room maiden, and I am very impressed. Pitch was perfect out of the box, (but the bearings in one of my blade grips was reversed from the way I want them, so I flipped them around).

No shakes, no vibrations, no other weirdness...just popped up perfectly. This thing is easier to hover than my T450, (slight exaggeration, but not much).

Little SFF around the living room...and I cannot believe a CP bird this small is this stable and easy to fly!

I'm in love. I'm gonna name her Betsy and give her an engagement ring, 'cause she's mine now.
will these settings work with the dx8?
Rif is offline Find More Posts by Rif
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:42 PM
Heli Nut
United States, NY, Watertown
Joined Mar 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright292 View Post
You might want to check the pitch on your tail blade. Compare it to the spare and even try swapping it.

Hope that helps!
With a side by side comparison the used tail rotor had lost just a tiny bit of pitch. I twisted it to regain some pitch, and presto! flying like a champ again.

I'll give it a proper flight test later tonight.

I guess they need to use some stiffer plastic on that tail rotor.

~E
ESylin is offline Find More Posts by ESylin
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:34 PM
If it ain't broke, fix it.
Hasher66's Avatar
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Couple more batteries through it and a few more impressions: Went back to DR/EXP at 70%/30% respectively for Normal mode. Much more controllable and less mushy around center.

Did one battery in backyard with gusty circular winds at about 5mph - 10mph. Bounced around a bit, but tail stayed locked in. Lost it a few times, but had no problem with TH and worst thing was popped link.

Did find the main gear thing though. Real easy to tell on next spool up, (big vibration right before lift off), but didn't catch it first time on visual inspection. Popped it back up and now I know what to look for, so shouldn't be issue in future.

Brought her back inside to play around some more with the 2nd battery. Noticed a bit of twitchiness with pitch near hover, so I'm gonna spend the next few batteries playing with the pitch curve and getting that the way I like it.

So far, the honeymoon isn't over yet. She's only lookin' better the next morning.
Hasher66 is offline Find More Posts by Hasher66
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:45 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Paper canopy for Mcp

Hi all,

Just printed out a test canopy on normal paper and fitted it to the Mcp X They were originally done for the 4G6 but with a little trimming fits the Mcp X.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145751

Don
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:43 PM
Pro beginner
rchelijc's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESylin View Post
Has anyone had issues with the tail losing all control? I admit I am not the best 3d pilot, but I can flip and hover inverted with no real issues.

Well, I got my mcpx (my wife actually bought it for me for my birthday, must be she doesn't want me in the house) and flew through 3 batteries without much trouble. The fourth battery went horribly wrong about a minute and half in. I did a nice slow rainbow to bring it inverted, and the tail kicked over a little, I corrected and didn't thing much of it. Once inverted it settled in and hovered, then the tail started to drift more and more, so I went to right it. Once it was vertical, the tail went out all together, it was spinning so fast that there was nothing I could do but hit the throttle hold and hope.

So I pick it up and look it over. Servos out of position, but thats it. So I re-initialize it, the servos all come back to the proper position, spins up ok. So I lift off. The tail wants to do nothing but drift, in any flight mode, a constant counter clockwise slow piro. Even though its a constant piro speed the tail motor will spike and dive in speed. I figure that is the gyro trying to correct for a burnt tail motor.

I know the MSR had tail motor problems, but I never encountered any with mine. I went ahead and ordered a new tail/motor.

I remember seeing some videos of the developers flying and it doing a similar thing at the end of the videos.

Has anyone else run into this? Would your thoughts lean towards the motor or the 3in1?

~E
Yes, it happens on the MCPX like the MSR.

A few times, the tail stopped working due to a short - those magnet wires (leads for the tail motor) sometimes rub off their insulation and short - I had to apply epoxy to separate them a little at where they were exposed.

Other times, a tail blade that wasn't too tight started to slip on the tail motor shaft - it's just a friction fit, so it can get loose over time, or even from a manufacturing defect.

A cracked boom made mine drift on the mcpx. I finger rubbed CA over the fibres and that fixed it.

Throttle / collective management - need lots of it for this tail driven beast.

Tail correction is needed when torque output at the motor goes up or down (head speed has nothing to do with it and is a byproduct). So even if your headspeed doesn't increase when punching out (in fact it bogs), you may find
the nose swinging left a bit.

I'm beginning to think it might be a HH gyro, cos I see the gyro try to return to the same heading after a blowout. But that might just be the way I do my tests.

As a side note, I pulled my tail boom out of the frame a little, resulting in more tail authority. Blowouts seems much less (almost non-existent).

Developers - they've had plenty of time on those machines. They probably know how to compensate with rudder when thrashing the collective.

A little more than 2 cents...
rchelijc is offline Find More Posts by rchelijc
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Blade mCP X BNF Heli... ChuckTseeker Micro Helis 15488 Today 08:42 AM
Discussion Blade mCP X Discuss anything thread A Rdnek Micro Helis 457 Jul 27, 2011 12:34 AM
Discussion The New BLADE mCP X Has Arrived... ChuckTseeker Electric Heli Talk 38 Mar 27, 2011 08:35 PM
Discussion new blade mcp X anyone know anything new. epoweredrc Atlanta Area RC 6 Mar 16, 2011 09:14 PM
Discussion Blade mCP x - strictly on topic Q and A thread jdog83 Micro Helis 58 Feb 07, 2011 03:28 PM