HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Yea, but in this case I'd have to agree with you for upgrading. You found what you felt was a limitation in the heli's ability to do what you wanted it to do so you made a logical decision to upgrade.
Yup... It definitely made this heli actually fun to fly (for me) instead of crashing just about every flight. I'd put it up over the summer because I got sick of it and I was flying the bigger stuff anyway. I finally got around to doing the conversion in October when it started getting cold.

Besides, I never had this problem with any other helicopter I've flown, and there have been a lot going back to the early '90s when I started, so it's not like I'm hamfisting the collective all over the place.

Bonus with the extra power is my converted mCP X will fly gentle aerobatics and general "tooling around" nicely for 7.5 min on 500mAh batteries to 80% discharge.
kokopelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopelli
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:26 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
That's some decent flying time right there. That's my biggest issue right now - I'm only getting 4 minutes with the two stock batteries I have, but I've got 6 more coming my way and I can parallel charge 6 of them at a time so I'll be in business once I get my new stuff.

As for flying - I'm still learning the basics (circles, figures 8's, etc) but having fun with it. My heli is running very smoothly right now and I like it. I really think that as long as you're respectful of this heli it's very difficult to damage it. I've definitely crashed it but I've had zero damage so far (knock on wood) but I use throttle hold religiously and I know when to bail out!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Throttle hold...definitely... Other than smashing up a canopy real nicely and losing head links, I've never broken a single thing on mine, even after the BL conversion.

I really don't fly mine in the house much because I can't let 'er rip. It's mostly a backyard flyer. I'm really digging the new mSR X for general tearing around the house and kitty patrol.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:38 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I may have to get me an mSRx too. When I bought the mCPx I would trying to decide between it and the mSRx but I went with the CP because I wanted something that would give me something to grow in. I figure I can come back later and the mSRx just for playing around in the house.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:40 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post
Yup... It definitely made this heli actually fun to fly (for me) instead of crashing just about every flight. I'd put it up over the summer because I got sick of it and I was flying the bigger stuff anyway. I finally got around to doing the conversion in October when it started getting cold.

Besides, I never had this problem with any other helicopter I've flown, and there have been a lot going back to the early '90s when I started, so it's not like I'm hamfisting the collective all over the place.

Bonus with the extra power is my converted mCP X will fly gentle aerobatics and general "tooling around" nicely for 7.5 min on 500mAh batteries to 80% discharge.
Maybe I just got lucky with mine and got a better than average tail motor, but I've still not experienced a tail blow-out with mine, and it's all stock. In fact, I find the tail holds quite well, even when doing loops, rolls, flipping inverted, etc.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:17 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Maybe I just got lucky with mine and got a better than average tail motor, but I've still not experienced a tail blow-out with mine, and it's all stock. In fact, I find the tail holds quite well, even when doing loops, rolls, flipping inverted, etc.
give it full up cyclic while flying. try and climb as fast as you can. watch it spin round and round as she goes up. They all blowout. even with the new V2 tail rotor.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
I may have to get me an mSRx too. When I bought the mCPx I would trying to decide between it and the mSRx but I went with the CP because I wanted something that would give me something to grow in. I figure I can come back later and the mSRx just for playing around in the house.
It's a great little heli. I put up my mSR for good long ago and missed having an indoor bang around "niche" heli to have some low stress fun with and actually FLEW right. For me, the mCP X just doesn't cut it indoors because I can't really do anything "fun" with it.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:33 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I just hovered mine indoors last night and that's about all I was comfortable doing. I tried to do a little pirouette with it and found out how quickly it can get away from you. But I saved it and gently put it down. It was cool to at least play with it BUT... that mSRx sure is looking good for indoors!! Dang it!!
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:44 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
I just hovered mine indoors last night and that's about all I was comfortable doing. I tried to do a little pirouette with it and found out how quickly it can get away from you.
I like to use more expo for smaller indoor areas as it seems to help me. Though the real nice thing about my mcpx's and indoor flight is I dont worrying about crashing them
Mcpx Bathroom Flight (2 min 0 sec)
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:51 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
give it full up cyclic while flying. try and climb as fast as you can. watch it spin round and round as she goes up. They all blowout. even with the new V2 tail rotor.
Do you mean full collective? I have given it full collective, briefly, and haven't had it blow out. There's not a good reason to give it full collective for an extended period of time in flight, at least for me, so I don't consider it a problem if the tail goes out when doing that. I try to fly smoothly all the time.

As for flying indoors, I still like doing it with my mCP X. It might not be "fun" in the sense that you can't really bang around the sticks, but it definitely hones your precision flying skills. I've been using it to practice simple turns and pirouettes in both directions, figure-8s, and hovering in different orientations indoors and I definitely feel much more confident with those things now than I did when I first got it. Even doing that is fun for me.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Do you mean full collective? I have given it full collective, briefly, and haven't had it blow out.
I think he means throwing in a healthy handful of cyclic input AND collective at the same time. My stock mCP X would blow the tail out (i.e. over current and shut it down) almost every single time, even when I was specifically watching for it and deliberately "managing the collective".
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:12 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post
I think he means throwing in a healthy handful of cyclic input AND collective at the same time. My stock mCP X would blow the tail out (i.e. over current and shut it down) almost every single time, even when I was specifically watching for it and deliberately "managing the collective".
Yeah, but I haven't experienced that. Maybe I just got lucky or I don't fly it hard enough for that.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Maybe I just got lucky or I don't fly it hard enough for that.
I'd say so. Your experience is far from the norm I've seen repeated over and over (and experienced myself) regarding the stock setup and "spirited flight".
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:16 PM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Another way in flight mode 1 is to give it full negative pitch followed by full positive pitch and the tail will move if not go into a fast piro. Just get a bit of height before you give it full negative pitch
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:24 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, but I haven't experienced that. Maybe I just got lucky or I don't fly it hard enough for that.
If you dont see any tail blowout with crazy stick movement then It could be you have your max and minum pitch set lower than normal too.

All 3 of mine stock with max and minimum pitch capped at 90% didnt have tail blow outs unless I didnt wach the input.

The brushless upgrades with good batteries have made them be able to flip almost in place and only have slight tail loss.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed