SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2012, 12:59 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhark37 View Post
Thanks for your help. I took the aileron and elevator down to 30% with 10% expo, and it works much better! It's taking me a while to catch on to this thing. Flown planes for years, and the occasional mcx or msr. But one has to really pay attention to the mcpx.

Thanks again, John
I'm in the same boat. I'm very comfortable with any sort of fixed wing but heli's have always been a bit of an enigma to me. Taming the mCPx down like this gives me an opportunity to fly it around so I can learn it's characteristics.

I can keep it in the air just fine and I can mostly get it to go where I want it to but I also know that to truly master it I'm going to have to learn the proper way to do things. My biggest issue right now is making a coordinated turn. Like I said earlier - I can do this in fast forward flight much easier that I can in slow flight. I want to learn to fly it as if its on rails. Right now, my flying looks like it's sliding around on ice most of the time.

The only thing I can intentionally do is a pendulum thing where I reverse directions by pitching the heli up and then basically doing a stall turn.

Practice, practice, practice though. I'll get there.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Dec 2011
36 Posts
I just ordered a carbon fiber frame and skids to replace the single plastic unit that is cracked. I like the fact that I can replace any broken pieces in parts rather than the whole frame. Any tips or tricks when transfering everything over? How hard is this going to be?
pwgsx is offline Find More Posts by pwgsx
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:31 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugoose View Post
If its not shaking while flying with the tracking issue dont worry about it, however if its shaking then somethings bent
Another thing to check, for anyone having tracking problems, are the arms on top of the swashplate that connect to the pitch links for the blades. I had a little mishap indoors today and found that my tracking was way off afterwards. I checked the spindle and it was still straight, but one of the arms on top of the swashplate was bent up, throwing off the tracking. It's probably possible to bend it back but I just switched the links to the other set of arms and my tracking is fine again.

Unfortunately a little piece of one of the "bullets" broke off on one of the blades, and I can't find it. I was thinking of going to buy new blades but I think I will just wait until I get back from Christmas break and fix it with some balsa instead (and carefully balance the blades). Until then it looks like I will be trying out the normal blades.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, Halifax
Joined Oct 2011
180 Posts
any comments on 9tooth drive anyone?
BenScoobert is offline Find More Posts by BenScoobert
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jun 2011
407 Posts
If all you care about is sport flying, a 9T will be fine. It's not going to do 3d well at all. The stock motor already bogs quite a bit, and 10% more of something that's already bad is, well, worse.

You probably already know this, but I'm going to say it anyway -- A c05m based brushless upgrade is going to get you at least 10% more power - probably more like 20%. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. If you're flying 3d, that additional power is nice, but real advantage and the most noticeable difference is the fact that there's a lot more power available to the tail so it's a lot harder to blow out, and the kick is drastically reduced. It's a lot more predictable heli with this upgrade. Also worth mentioning is that the c05m will bog a good bit with a 9T pinion -- That I have tried - with several motors. It works best with an 8T.

Cost about $50, and it's a completely different heli.

On the other hand, you can always give the 9T a try. If it's not going to cost you anything but time, it can't hurt. You'll need a pinion puller to get it off the stock motor. You can also try heating the motor shaft with a soldering iron and pulling it off gently with a pair of pliers - but don't ruin it -- if you do decide to go with a brushless upgrade, you'll be glad you have it. I always use a pinion puller. You can also try to take it to your LHS and see if they have a puller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenScoobert View Post
any comments on 9tooth drive anyone?
DudeInMyrtleBch is offline Find More Posts by DudeInMyrtleBch
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Halifax
Joined Oct 2011
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeInMyrtleBch View Post
If all you care about is sport flying, a 9T will be fine. It's not going to do 3d well at all. The stock motor already bogs quite a bit, and 10% more of something that's already bad is, well, worse.

You probably already know this, but I'm going to say it anyway -- A c05m based brushless upgrade is going to get you at least 10% more power - probably more like 20%. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. If you're flying 3d, that additional power is nice, but real advantage and the most noticeable difference is the fact that there's a lot more power available to the tail so it's a lot harder to blow out, and the kick is drastically reduced. It's a lot more predictable heli with this upgrade.

Cost about $50, and it's a completely different heli.
I'm still learning to hover, so 3D is a long way down the road. Just wondered as it is a potential cheap upgrade if you just do the gear. How are the gears held on? Just a tight fit or some kind of metal glue?

My biggest issue at the moment is the damn thing drifting quite severely when turning, either its not right or I'm not correcting it enough, doesn't behave anything like on phoenix simulator.
BenScoobert is offline Find More Posts by BenScoobert
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:25 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Interesting. I'll have to really pay attention to my fingers during my next flight to see if I'm just correcting for it without noticing but it sure seemed like I could lift straight off with nothing but throttle.

I'll check on my next flight and see if that's true or if my fingers were just correcting for it without me thinking about it.
My bad. This may apply to this MCPX but I thought I was responding to the MSRX thread - lots of guys over there wondering about the left lurch on takeoff. Sorry for the miss post.
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jul 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Another thing to check, for anyone having tracking problems, are the arms on top of the swashplate that connect to the pitch links for the blades. I had a little mishap indoors today and found that my tracking was way off afterwards. I checked the spindle and it was still straight, but one of the arms on top of the swashplate was bent up, throwing off the tracking. It's probably possible to bend it back but I just switched the links to the other set of arms and my tracking is fine again.

Unfortunately a little piece of one of the "bullets" broke off on one of the blades, and I can't find it. I was thinking of going to buy new blades but I think I will just wait until I get back from Christmas break and fix it with some balsa instead (and carefully balance the blades). Until then it looks like I will be trying out the normal blades.

when the weight fell out of my blades i removed both sides a little on the bulge the extrra weight that the cm or so adds makes it more stable that the hi performance blades, while quicker than weighted
Stugoose is offline Find More Posts by Stugoose
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:05 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugoose View Post
when the weight fell out of my blades i removed both sides a little on the bulge the extrra weight that the cm or so adds makes it more stable that the hi performance blades, while quicker than weighted
Actually, I found the little weight and glued it back in, but not the little bit of plastic that broke off from the "bullet." I expect with the weight of the glue the two blades will be pretty close, but I'll be going back later this week so I'll just wait until then to check. I don't think we're getting any more good weather before then anyway.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Oct 2005
57 Posts
My two questions for the day:

1. I'm doing a 120SR tail retrofit, but I don't want to use the magnet wire wiring harness. What is the minimum acceptable multistrand wire gauge for that purpose? I have stuff on hand for whatever is deemed the best idea.

2. For mild 3D, is a 2mm solid boom acceptable, or am I going to be happier with overall tail performance with the 3mm boom?

Thanks,

Ben
Dr.Ben is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Ben
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Dec 2007
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ben View Post
My two questions for the day:

1. I'm doing a 120SR tail retrofit, but I don't want to use the magnet wire wiring harness. What is the minimum acceptable multistrand wire gauge for that purpose? I have stuff on hand for whatever is deemed the best idea.

2. For mild 3D, is a 2mm solid boom acceptable, or am I going to be happier with overall tail performance with the 3mm boom?

Thanks,

Ben
1. Many are using wire from cat5 cables they have laying around.
2. 2mm solid boom will do you fine.
fretman is offline Find More Posts by fretman
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:58 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,890 Posts
I recently added a bit of bling to my mCPX by the way of some flouro yellow KBDD blades and tail rotor. I noticed a bit of vibration at higer rpm and did the grommet mod on the swash plate balls and it now works smooth as a babys bum!! Excellent cheap mod that works really well!!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:26 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2011
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
I recently added a bit of bling to my mCPX by the way of some flouro yellow KBDD blades and tail rotor. I noticed a bit of vibration at higer rpm and did the grommet mod on the swash plate balls and it now works smooth as a babys bum!! Excellent cheap mod that works really well!!
may be the issue i have, do you have a link to do that mod??
andione1983 is offline Find More Posts by andione1983
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:35 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andione1983 View Post
may be the issue i have, do you have a link to do that mod??
Here you go http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6639
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Dec 2011
23 Posts
I am going to upgrade my mCP X brushless. Do I need a tx like DX6i to set new settings to make it work properly?
punisher96 is offline Find More Posts by punisher96