HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2012, 08:55 PM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Apr 2011
203 Posts
I have never lost a link in six months. The first mod I did was to tether the links with thread and glue, and did the hot glue dab on guide forks. Last week I got the MH head so well see if that proves to be as useful to keeping the links. When I installed the head, I finally retired my original links as they had bent a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Miata View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSchre View Post
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this fix method or not...I haven't gone through all the posts in this thread yet.

I was looking at the fixes that everyone else was using for the "lost linkages" problem and was about to start tethering a set together with fishing line when I came across this post doing a Google search for other fixes.

http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/e-flit...-link-tip.html

If you're not a member you won't be able to see the pic so I attached a copy below.
I really like this method...should render the lost linkage problem almost non-existent. I've already been through more crashes today since implementing this fix than I have in the last two days.
Not the best fix. These blade links are going up and down 4000 times a minute. This fix will add extra friction to the ball joints and possible rubbing on the mainshaft and also possible interference with the rotor hub anti-rotation forks at full pitch up and full cyclic. If you have to use rubberband, do it at the forks on the rotor head and don't let it touch the links. I use fishing line and it's been working great. Never lost a link since.
cgriffith is offline Find More Posts by cgriffith
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:03 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post
I don't own or want a DX6i, new or used. I was responding to Livonia Bob's question about how much they're going for on Ebay.
And I want to know if the Ebay price made it worth not going to HH and paying the 160 with free shipping.. So if they are going for 130 shipped than it's about a toss up I would say..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Last edited by livonia bob; Jan 02, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:32 PM
Crashing Gooder and Gooder!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I just got mine today and my videos would be very boring. All I was doing was practicing flying in very slow tame circles.

I'm a 3D fixed wing guy and haven't traditionally done well with helis. I figured I'd buy this one and be patient with it so that I can learn how to really fly the thing.

I've owned a mCPx before but I basically tried to go right to doing flips and stuff with it before I could effectively fly it. I was mildly successful but ultimately got frustrated and sold it.

SO... now I'm going to try and master normal, scale flight first and THEN jump into 3D once I'm ready. Today was a very successful day. Zero crashes and I learned a good bit about flying it. I figure if I keep it up I should be decent with normal controlled flight in a few weeks - maybe a month, maybe two. But I'll keep practicing as long as it takes.

If you tame this heli down enough it's pretty darn docile and it's rock steady. The gyro is awesome.
That's basically my story and my thought.. I can do figure eights at the park, and some circles.. it's difficult, and I don't trust myself to do it in the house yet.. but I'll get there.
YamaDan is offline Find More Posts by YamaDan
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:48 PM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
Thanks for the tip - I have V2! Now at least it seems like the heli is talking to the servos... Unfortunately now it's not acting correctly... On spool up the tail was starting to go counter clockwise and I used the rudder to bring it back and it tried to flip over again! I didn't bang the rudder or anything...
???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1017 View Post
I wonder which version mcpx you got? Is version 1 or version 2. For ver 2. mcpx, binding procedure change and is not the same as before. Hope you follow the manual instruction changes and bind your DX8. It happens to me before. After I follow the new procedure and rebind the DX8, it works fine for me.
albireo is offline Find More Posts by albireo
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
heli newbie here with a dumb question...

Just picked up an mcpx2 and bound it to an oh so advanced dx5e. Getting off the gound's okish and the heading holds pretty well, but I wanted to make sure the rest is responding like it should. It drifts left a little, give it a touch of right cyclic (rates on lo, normal not stunt mode) then recenter stick. It heads off to the right and keeps going sometimes at the same rate sometimes picking up speed as it continues on. Same responses right/left/fwd/back. I can keep it within a 10ft square for up to 20 seconds but that's been it after some practice. I'm pretty good at chasing flys with a coaxial, but maybe I just need lots of practice. Thanks!
boatbum is offline Find More Posts by boatbum
Old Jan 03, 2012, 12:34 AM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbum View Post
heli newbie here with a dumb question...

Just picked up an mcpx2 and bound it to an oh so advanced dx5e. Getting off the gound's okish and the heading holds pretty well, but I wanted to make sure the rest is responding like it should. It drifts left a little, give it a touch of right cyclic (rates on lo, normal not stunt mode) then recenter stick. It heads off to the right and keeps going sometimes at the same rate sometimes picking up speed as it continues on. Same responses right/left/fwd/back. I can keep it within a 10ft square for up to 20 seconds but that's been it after some practice. I'm pretty good at chasing flys with a coaxial, but maybe I just need lots of practice. Thanks!
correction correction correction, Yep the stiicks will be moving all the time. When you give a correction once the heli starts moving you actualy almost over correct opossite to slow up the heli or it will keep heading the same direction. If that makes sence. If you just bring the sticks to center you are just leveling the the swash with no correction to stop the foward motion. use small stick movements and after awhile it just comes as instinct and with no thought. Sounds like your findihg it doesn't fly like your coax Good luck
skyeblu is online now Find More Posts by skyeblu
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:33 AM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
971 Posts
+1 on the last post - the mcpx's 3 axis gyros hold attitude not position.

It is pretty good at keeping in a hover though with only a little correction needed and some have managed a hands off hover for a few seconds and I have done so at times but as mentioned you need to fly the heli, once you get used to it look out flies!
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:35 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2011
328 Posts
hi i have a mcpx, with upgraded metal/carbon frame, and XL aluminium tail boom, it has shudder or vibration at slow speed, is this due to the extra weight if there is extra weight..
i have another one stock standard... and it doesnt appear to do this.
andione1983 is offline Find More Posts by andione1983
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:09 AM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
971 Posts
I wouldn't think the weight is causing the shudder, this is more likely from the main pinion not seated or a bent feathering shaft. When you say slow speed are you meaning slow forward flight or low head speed?

Have you upgraded the blade grips to aluminium ones? A friend just took some off his as they caused more vibration that the stock set.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:11 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2011
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebarrow View Post
I wouldn't think the weight is causing the shudder, this is more likely from the main pinion not seated or a bent feathering shaft. When you say slow speed are you meaning slow forward flight or low head speed?

Have you upgraded the blade grips to aluminium ones? A friend just took some off his as they caused more vibration that the stock set.
low head speed, still using stock blade grips, and main gear is seated ok.
i will check out the feathering shaft, and possibly try the rubberband trick on the blade grips...
andione1983 is offline Find More Posts by andione1983
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:37 AM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
971 Posts
I wouldn't fly with a low head speed and use 80%+ throttle for all of my flight settings (actually I might just use 100% flat for flight modes 1 & 2. ) To check the feathering shaft take one blade off and spin the f/s screw if the other blade moves up/down as you spin the screw the shaft is bent.

Check the blade tension as well as if they are too loose then this may cause a shudder at low speeds.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:00 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jul 2011
791 Posts
if they are to tight they will shake too
Stugoose is offline Find More Posts by Stugoose
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:10 AM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
893 Posts
same prob here

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeblu View Post
correction correction correction, Yep the stiicks will be moving all the time. When you give a correction once the heli starts moving you actualy almost over correct opossite to slow up the heli or it will keep heading the same direction. If that makes sence. If you just bring the sticks to center you are just leveling the the swash with no correction to stop the foward motion. use small stick movements and after awhile it just comes as instinct and with no thought. Sounds like your findihg it doesn't fly like your coax Good luck
my cp does not fly like my coaxial you cannot let go it take s alot of parts before you find that out.
TT
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:28 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,223 Posts
Death shudder or wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebarrow View Post

Yep, that's so true..
1. Main Gear not seated properly
2. Feathering spindle slightly bent
3. Main shaft splitted
4. 1 of the Servos dying slowly

1&2 happens so frequently that Eflite should publish it in its Troubleshooting SOP.
I did not believe 3 until I had a shudder that wouldnt go away with 1&2 fixes already applied. And I experienced 4 only after several hard crashes that required rebinding to the tx to arm the servo that wouldn't move after the crash.
terencechan is offline Find More Posts by terencechan
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:34 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,223 Posts
Here's a hard crash I had, after converting to brushless..I was trying inverted lazy 8 (I can't do inverted tail-in yet)
Brushless MCPX KDBB Main Blades & Dual Tail Motors (4 min 18 sec)
terencechan is offline Find More Posts by terencechan