HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:44 AM
Joined Mar 2011
142 Posts
Anyone have info on how to fix the servo if the top "collar"/"nut" seemed to have slipped allowing the servo shaft to have a small amount of play (probably 1/16"). Note, the servo was working, but I recognized a slight "unresponsivness" which caused me to check it out. That's when I noticed the play in the servo. Can I just screw that "nut" down...maybe I'll just pull that setup off of the servo board and replace with a new one...
RCMattG is offline Find More Posts by RCMattG
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:24 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jul 2011
791 Posts
@rcmattg

Tighten the nut then add a very small drop of glue on top of the nut, should work
Stugoose is offline Find More Posts by Stugoose
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:55 AM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugoose View Post
@rcmattg

Tighten the nut then add a very small drop of glue on top of the nut, should work
also apply glue with a tooth pick or xacto knife. Probably a "duh" statement but I've gotten glue in the servo gears and its nothing but bad news. It seems to find itself there even if you think your being carefull. You'd be suprised the little drops that get loose (probably notice them on your work bench )
Mine seem to have a larger gap as well. But I'll leave them for now
perschek is offline Find More Posts by perschek
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perschek View Post
also apply glue with a tooth pick or xacto knife. Probably a "duh" statement but I've gotten glue in the servo gears and its nothing but bad news. It seems to find itself there even if you think your being carefull. You'd be suprised the little drops that get loose (probably notice them on your work bench )
Mine seem to have a larger gap as well. But I'll leave them for now
Ya, but does your "larger gap" actually allow you to move the servo arm up and down with a light amount of pressure?
RCMattG is offline Find More Posts by RCMattG
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:14 AM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
I'm going to say 1mm on the right and rear servo none on left.

I was jjust looking at the box and it says 45.5g is this without battery?! I'm at 44.6 grams with all the mods... pretty sweet.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:45 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jul 2011
791 Posts
do any of you guys do pheonix sim, we can have a small heli practice session,
Stugoose is offline Find More Posts by Stugoose
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:57 AM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
I wish I did, thinking of buying it but with the new gee bee beast and hyper taxi I'm going to be tapped out through the hollidays and first of the year. Maybe I can trade one of my v1 beasts for someones phoenix :-)

STU - I think my servos are sittin low because when I pulled the battery the throttle was all the way down. DUH such an idiot sometimes :-) Oh well I learn something new about the heli everyday. I'm trying to center the swash but I'm nervous I'm screwing something up.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that, I remember reading that somewhere but had forgotten how to do it. Going to do that now, and were talking mechanical adjustments not TX sub-trim correct?
Yes. Make sure both the sub-trim and main trim are centered for all channels before making any mechanical adjustments. That's pretty much a universal truth when setting up any heli.
kokopelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopelli
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Ok... I must be doing this wrong because my blades are angled way downwards... I flipped the blades, moved then at 90 dgrees from flybar. Hit thold and put it at 50% and they are like 1/2 way to being all the way downwards...
You were supposed to flip one blade and rotate them both off to the same side. That way, the TIPS are right next to each other and it's much easier to see when they are exactly parallel to each other for zero pitch. At max (or min) pitch, the blades will form a "V" to the SIDE of the heli and not across it, which appears to be what you have done if both blades are angled downwards. With the method I suggested, one will go up and the other will go down. They will meet in the middle at zero degrees pitch.

And, if your mCP X has a flybar...you're doing it wrong...
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:20 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
Just one of the quirks with the AS3X
Not all of them. I have two 3-in-1 boards and neither one ever exhibited any weird trim drift. I'd blame the servos or a sloppy head over the AS3X system.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:23 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
1,936 Posts
Newer v3 Tail

How is the tail holding with v3 tail on the Mcpx? I want to learn/practice some flips,roll and inverts and is debating if I should get the stock or BL MCpX. If the stock motor is capable then I don't wish to go BL. Actually I am debating on getting stock mcpx vs Genius also. Durablity and 3D flying are my goal here.
Torch8 is online now Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Ok see the pics, the servo is sitting low isn't it.............. :-/

Removed bat with NO trim / sub trim AND on thold..
But, where was the collective stick when you last pulled the battery? If it was all the way down the servos will be below center if you have any negative pitch at the bottom of your TH curve. Centered stick should equal centered servos which should equal zero pitch at the blades. Looks like you have some negative pitch in your TH curve if the collective was all the way down.

Edit: Just saw your other post where you figured out your throttle/collective was all the way down.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
How is the tail holding with v3 tail on the Mcpx? I want to learn/practice some flips,roll and inverts and is debating if I should get the stock or BL MCpX. If the stock motor is capable then I don't wish to go BL. Actually I am debating on getting stock mcpx vs Genius also. Durablity and 3D flying are my goal here.
Unless you find one used, you can't "get" a brushless mCP X. Well, unless someone is now selling turnkey conversions, but I haven't seen those if they're out there. You'll have to do it yourself or find someone to do it. As for the stock motor, a lot of people are happy with it, but I hated my mCP X with it and didn't fly it for a long time because it wasn't any fun. And the beautiful summer/early fall weather had me flying the bigger stuff anyway. I've only recently rediscovered it after having a LOT more fun with the brushless conversion. Just yesterday, I logged 7.5 minutes with a new 550mAh battery and the extra weight didn't appear to affect anything at all, which is nice due to the extra power from the brushless motor.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:36 AM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Ok I'm leaning towards bad servos take a look at the chatter at mid stick. They can't find center AND I just cleaned them.. one of the servos, the fingers were bent a tad (one of them was a hair lower than the others)
McpX Servo Chatter at MID STICK... :-/ (0 min 17 sec)
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
I know you probably don't want to hear this, but often the "easiest" way to troubleshoot is to throw parts ($$$) at it. If I were you, I'd pick up some new servos and see if that fixes the problem. If so...you're done... If not, you have some good spares that you'll need in the future anyway...

Just a thought... Have you checked the fit between the swashplate the the main shaft at that point? Try disconnecting the swashplate at the servo links and moving it up and down by hand with the rest of the head as normal. Check for any roughness or binding.