HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
Lol, maybe yours was but mine has been giving me a hard time for 3 weeks now.
Step one is setting up the radio - that is super easy, and there is a known correct setup for every possible radio - you can't screw this up. The helicopter itself requires no setup except the occasional ball link adjustment for pitch range. IMO, nobody should spend more than an hour trying to get an mCPX to work. It works or it's defective. Defective products go back to the manufacturer. Pretty simple really.

Quote:
I agree with that. It should just work.

Maybe you'll find something in my videos to help. Search for other videos too - some people have done some really good ones.

http://jazzyflight.blogspot.com/2011...ade-mcp-x.html
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:00 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,543 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Jas, airbagit. I'm beginning to think it's a defective board or something myself. You should have been flying the thing by now. I take it your 9c and Spek module work well with your other heli?

Mine acts like it's been shot down with an emp gun once in a while when the main or tail motor plugs get loose. I never glued them back after the last board change on it.... I just reseat them and all is fine for a while.
loopy1 is online now Find More Posts by loopy1
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:23 PM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
Yeah I realize this, it is in computer mode for sure. I gave up on it. Really wanted to light it on fire but I stuck it in the back of a closet instead. I have a buddy thats been flying helis 3d for some time that is going to take a look at it on sunday. If he cant figure it out I will send it back to horizon.
Good call. I would've sent it back from day 1 of not working despite following the manual's pre-flight checklist
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:17 PM
Registered Plane Abuser
Illinois
Joined Jul 2005
215 Posts
Speaking of defective, maybe you guys can help me out. I've had a Blade MCX for about a year now and love it. I can do all the basics right in my small living room. Never had to replace a part on it. So I decide to get a MCP X because everyone says if you can fly the MCX you should be able to do the basics with a MCP X. I can't keep this thing in the air for more than 10 seconds. I'm nowhere close to being able to hover this thing. I've tried thngs like putting the grommets on the links and I make sure the shaft gear is pushed up. Am I really that bad or could the one I have be defective?
DonJuan is offline Find More Posts by DonJuan
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:26 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
Speaking of defective, maybe you guys can help me out. I've had a Blade MCX for about a year now and love it. I can do all the basics right in my small living room. Never had to replace a part on it. So I decide to get a MCP X because everyone says if you can fly the MCX you should be able to do the basics with a MCP X. I can't keep this thing in the air for more than 10 seconds. I'm nowhere close to being able to hover this thing. I've tried thngs like putting the grommets on the links and I make sure the shaft gear is pushed up. Am I really that bad or could the one I have be defective?
Whoa...going straight from an MCX to an MCPx is kind of a big jump there...lol... The MCX and mSr are "self-stabilizing" helis...the MCPx however, is not, and must be fully flown, even in hover.

You could try "dumbing down" all your settings (if you're using a dx6i,7,8 etc.)...I fly mine that way in my small apartment.

~Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:10 PM
USA, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Jun 2007
487 Posts
Like Bud said, then add training gear and look into a simulator too! If you can find a club or an experience pilot in your area to help you get started, that will speed thing up a bit.

You can do it, just stay with it....

(and start budgeting for parts)
rcflyair is offline Find More Posts by rcflyair
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:15 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,467 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance guys, I am pretty sure its defective at this point as I created a new model on my TX with good settings and its till bugging. im just going to call horizon to send it back tomorrow.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:37 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Oct 2009
228 Posts
Got one

Read a few posts. Saw a few videos. I'm in. Ordered one just now off ebay. Comes with the new grips and 3 batteries. I'm stoked.
Idoitall is offline Find More Posts by Idoitall
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:10 AM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2010
336 Posts
Quote:
Try setting your rates to 30%, no expo, and flying outside with plenty of space and little wind. If all you have flown before is the MCX it will still be hard, but you should be able to hover it for a few moments at least!

And before you send the bird back, see if a good pilot from your hobby shop can fly it and let you know if it's properly set up. Don't get discouraged; CP helis are just hard!
horseflesh is offline Find More Posts by horseflesh
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:27 AM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
972 Posts
I would consider 20-30% expo on your cyclic controls to reduce the input at the mid stick positions, especially if you are doing a lot of over correcting.
What is happening after takeoff that stops your flight after 10 secs? Is it racing away on control inputs or does it fly off one way or the other on take off?
stevebarrow is online now Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Last edited by stevebarrow; Jul 14, 2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typos!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:28 AM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
Quote:
1 fly over grass
2 immediately take it up 3 feet high to avoid ground effect
3 keep tail pointed towards you at all times
4 make sure you have expo on cyclic
5 dont be afraid to crash it. It's very durable
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:48 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Quote:
So I decide to get a MCP X because everyone says if you can fly the MCX you should be able to do the basics with a MCP X
I don't know who they are, but they're wrong. It's a bit like saying 'if you can drive a car you'll be able to do the basics on a unicycle'!

Put it back on the shelf and get an mSR (unless you're a 'natural' who was bored of the MCX after a week)
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Jul 14, 2011, 07:22 AM
Joined Nov 2009
134 Posts
I have been flying a Blade CP and 400 for about two years now. I can hover, and do figure eights - nothing fancy. The Mcp X has taken me to a whole new level. It's so easy to hover, even nose in and fly circuits. I just started looping and can hold an invert. I am ready to try this with the bigger helis.
BTW - I have fixed broken landing gear twice now by joining the two pieces with heat shrink tube with a short lenghth of paper clip or other wire inside the tube for strength. Then after shrinking, seal the ends with some CA and bend to shape. Works great!
bushdoctor is offline Find More Posts by bushdoctor
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:45 PM View Post
Kennedy61
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Widespread). It is temporarily hidden while Kennedy61 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 02:08 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
Try setting your rates to 30%, no expo, and flying outside with plenty of space and little wind. If all you have flown before is the MCX it will still be hard, but you should be able to hover it for a few moments at least!

And before you send the bird back, see if a good pilot from your hobby shop can fly it and let you know if it's properly set up. Don't get discouraged; CP helis are just hard!
30% rate is way low...I wouldn't recommend it that low even for beginner. I would maybe go 50 lowest and at least 20 expo.
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten