HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:10 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Then what is the best way to get the gear off the shaft? I always feel like I'm going to break something else. How are you pulling it off?
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:10 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
I usually twist the gear back into position, and then press it up against the bearing - it's not necessary to take it off first.
I don't think that that's a very good idea- tried it once- nasty clicking/stripping sound...made me wonder what was breaking.....

just my .02 rubles...
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:13 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
Mine just makes a little squeak as it slides around. I find the snap when I push it back up the shaft much more alarming.

I didn't realise anyone was actually removing their main gear when it had slipped around.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
I first push down on the mainshaft until it is flush with the gear hub. Then use two fingers to pull the gear straight off. I put two fingers on the blade hubs close to the rotor head and pull. Works for me and doesn't bend the feathering shaft.

YMMV, Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Then what is the best way to get the gear off the shaft? I always feel like I'm going to break something else. How are you pulling it off?
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:24 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
The way I get the main gear off is:

First remove landing gear...then I hold the heli upside down with my fingertips around the main gear teeth, apply pressure on the protruding mainshaft with thumbnails, which starts the gear coming off...then hold the heli from the top firmly between fingers and thumb, grasping the flat solid plate that is at the rear of the frame and with other hand pull off gear.

Sounds complicated, but it's really simple...if I viddied I could show it...but I don't..so I won't.

Now if I could just find out where the heck my new lateral "shiver n shakin" is coming from..... Is it possible to have a bent carbon mainshaft? I'm running out of things to try.....

Bud, human gear puller Bud
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:25 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
I first push down on the mainshaft until it is flush with the gear hub. Then use two fingers to pull the gear straight off. I put two fingers on the blade hubs close to the rotor head and pull. Works for me and doesn't bend the feathering shaft.

YMMV, Don
Thanks. So basically just put pressure on the top of the rotor hub and pull down on the gear. That's what I was doing. Guess I'll just have to try and not be so afraid of breaking something.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:29 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
I take my pair of small long needle nose pliers and slip them under the gear and ply the gear off.. I then align the notch and start the gear onto the shaft finishing it up with my HD gear setting tool..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:41 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Checked the screw - it tightens just fine. The dampers in the rotor head are fully seated.

What should I be looking for to ensure that the blade grips are properly seated? Are you talking about the bearings in the grips? If so, they are flush with the end of the grips.

One other question though - in the manual, it only shows one O-ring on the left side of the blade grips and nothing on the right (it just shows the one that goes into the rotor head). But the package comes with two. Should I have an O-ring on each side or just one side? It seems like they'd go on both sides but maybe that's my issue...
Or, it shows the bearing on the left side and the bearing on the right is obscured by the fold. I think that maybe, possibly, not to cause offense, that you are seeing the illustration for the bearing and thinking that is a damping rubber (I am not going to get into the 'O' ring - 'square' ring thing ).
PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Apr 16, 2011, 04:25 PM
It only cost 50 honest!
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Oct 2007
341 Posts
I had difficulty seeing if the notch was in the correct place, so I painted it white. If it looks black its slipped.
David Parry is offline Find More Posts by David Parry
Old Apr 16, 2011, 04:52 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
.......Now if I could just find out where the heck my new lateral "shiver n shakin" is coming from..... Is it possible to have a bent carbon mainshaft? I'm running out of things to try.....

Bud, human gear puller Bud
Bud,

It is definitely possible to have a "bent" c/f mainshaft. More properly, deformed, I suppose. I've had it happen a few times with the mSR. First time it drove me nuts, as I didn't think it was possible. After replacing the entire rotating assembly one piece at a time - except for the mainshaft, I came to the conclusion that it must be the problem. Put in a new one & the bird was smooth again. I have also had it happen twice with the mCP X so far. Takes a pretty serious impact to make it happen, though.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2011, 05:16 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Nobody is going to call them square rings, even if they are, and they aren't. If anything, they are rectangular. And nobody is going to say rectangular rings either. It's an "O-ring" and everybody knows what you mean by that. So, just get over it. The whole world calls facial tissue Kleenex, even when it's not - you just have to accept these things.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 16, 2011, 05:36 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Nobody is going to call them square rings, even if they are, and they aren't. If anything, they are rectangular. And nobody is going to say rectangular rings either. It's an "O-ring" and everybody knows what you mean by that. So, just get over it. The whole world calls facial tissue Kleenex, even when it's not - you just have to accept these things.

O ring is not a trade name.. never was as far as I know. So your Kleenex doesn't apply here.... I think the proper thing to call them is dampers.. The mCP X uses square rings and the mSR uses O rings....
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:02 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Bud,

It is definitely possible to have a "bent" c/f mainshaft. More properly, deformed, I suppose. I've had it happen a few times with the mSR. First time it drove me nuts, as I didn't think it was possible. After replacing the entire rotating assembly one piece at a time - except for the mainshaft, I came to the conclusion that it must be the problem. Put in a new one & the bird was smooth again. I have also had it happen twice with the mCP X so far. Takes a pretty serious impact to make it happen, though.

Joel
I guess careening out-of-control in an "aileron slide" the length of the gym and smashing into the concrete side of the floor, breaking both blades qualifies as "pretty serious". (back when I was unused to/learning the machine...thankfully I don't crash much anymore...

Thanx Joel...interesting...gonna have to replace the m/s too I 'spose...

I'll just clean my O-rings w/ Windex, lube them w/ 3in1, wrap them up in Kleenex, seal them w/ Scotch tape, and store them in the Fridgidaire....

Bud, brand-name Bud
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:09 PM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I take my pair of small long needle nose pliers and slip them under the gear and ply the gear off.. I then align the notch and start the gear onto the shaft finishing it up with my HD gear setting tool..
WITH YOUR SCREW DRIVER FROM H OME D EPOT . YOUR ARE SO Funny. HA HA HA.
segroegt is offline Find More Posts by segroegt
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:21 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I received my "B" grips yesterday. When I untied my spectra "safety line" to expose the spindle ends, this is what I found:

Here's the bad bearing, and the remaining two bearings, face-up and face-down. You can see the copper side, which should face OUT against the spindle head or screw.

hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro