HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:18 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliStyle View Post
Yay I fixed it it wasn't bound properly to he transmitter lol I feel like an idiot.

AnyWays

How long of flight times are you guys getting? The max I can go is 6 mins then lvc kicks in.

Also when you guys hit around 4 mins does you guys heli start to shutter or shake alittle due to low voltage?

Thanks for everyones help
Aren't you glad you didn't sell it now???
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:22 PM
Joined May 2009
51 Posts
Well... Mine arrived today. Checked the blade grips, they seemed solid. Charged the batteries. Set up the controller, spun it up, and: The dang thing tipped when I followed the directions as soon as it spooled up. I've learned to watch it carefully as it takes off and correct it, if the gyros think it should tip. Barely got it in the air and had to punch the throttle hold (it got away from me ... I'm still somewhat new to collective pitch, only sucessful flights have been in the sim. This is a trainer for my b400)

anyway, first flight, first crash and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asosestrom View Post
Broke the elevater ball on my swashplate today, went to the LHS to get another one and was told they are back ordered till late May. Called 2 others, same story.

So HH sells a heli and expects us to leave it on the shelf for 2 months!
...that. I was not happy! So, I sort of patched it up with a band-aid fix until I can get a new swash plate. (essentially enacased the broken ball and the link end in hot glue. It worked. I couldn't believe that it worked! So, I've been through about 6 battery charges since. I'm quite happy with how it handles. VERY stable, handled quite a bit like the sim. Scared the living daylights out of my wife's cat. Also learned a couple important lessons:

Whatever you do, DON'T PANIC. Panicking is the worst thing you can do with a CP, it's basically a guarantee you'll send it careening into the wall or TV. It got a bit closer to me than I was comfortable with, and I panicked. I planted it straight into the TV. (NOT good) Heli wasn't damaged, screen had a few smudges of the white paint from the blades, but that was all. whew!

And, even though it is small and light weight, it still has quite a bit of inertia in those blades, and can damage itself (and things around it) much worse than the FP or coax. This is NOT a beginner's heli for sure.

It's a ton more responsive than the 120SR. Once I got used to the way this little bird flies, it's quite a bit easier to spot-land, IMO... the 120 always seems to have a small amount of drift. This doesn't drift much, and is rather easy to plunk down in one spot nice and gentle.

I'm quite happy: It's the first real collective pitch that I can fly. No aerobatics, yet. I haven't touched the stunt mode. Don't plan to, either, until I've got good command of it.
Guineh is offline Find More Posts by Guineh
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:27 PM
If it ain't broke, fix it.
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Hey guys,

I also broke the back pitch ball off my swash last night, but luckily I also bought a spare. I didn't think I could fix it, so I ejected the ball from the link and threw it away, while keeping the rest of the swash in case it might be of some use later.

When I heard that slo-fly had repaired his, I went and cut off a ball from an old damaged mSR blade grip, (I keep all my old broken parts for this reason), trimmed back the nub left over from were the ball broke off from the swash, and tacked the old mSR blade grip ball on with thick CA, getting the position just right and not using any kicker.

I let it cure all day, then came back and built up support around the back of the ball, (between it and the swash flange), making sure that I didn't get any on the ball itself. I then hit this with kicker to cure it all up.

I tested it with my finger and it seemed really solid. I then slapped it back on the mCPX, and proceeded to hammer the pitch pretty hard back and forth to test it's strength. Seems very solid. I'm keeping it on the heli to see how long it lasts.

The upshot? You can probably repair that back ball with thick CA in a pinch...and if you're careful about it.

Here's are some pics of the repair before I slapped it back on:

Cheers!
Hasher66 is offline Find More Posts by Hasher66
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:29 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Looks like a good, solid repair!
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:30 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Feb 2004
2,725 Posts
Wow Tony, I'm sorry for your loss. I know rc helicopters have helped me through some tough times and I know it'll do the same for you. If there is anything I can do, let me know.

Well, I think I found the cause of all this weird and severe wobbling I have been getting. so, I set the heli on the table determined to find the cause and started by taking the head apart to check for any signs of problems and everything looked good. turned on my radio and heli, hit throttle hold and slowly worked the collective up and down..... turns out, just above half throttle my servo on the right side (pitch I think) goes f'n nuts and starts jumping up and down like mad. it's only the one servo.... I took it apart and cleaned the contacts and checked it out and everything looks fine, put it back together and it still does it.... I plugged another servo into it's spot to make sure its not the mixer board. guess I just have a bad servo I guess I'll be on the waiting list for a new servo.....
helifrek is offline Find More Posts by helifrek
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:31 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,761 Posts
Looks good. I use Q-Bond on everything I break that can be fixed. It works great for filling in stuff-> http://www.amazon.com/Bond-Repair-Sm.../dp/B003YI421I
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:44 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasher66 View Post
Hey guys,

I also broke the back pitch ball off my swash last night, but luckily I also bought a spare. I didn't think I could fix it, so I ejected the ball from the link and threw it away, while keeping the rest of the swash in case it might be of some use later.

When I heard that slo-fly had repaired his, I went and cut off a ball from an old damaged mSR blade grip, (I keep all my old broken parts for this reason), trimmed back the nub left over from were the ball broke off from the swash, and tacked the old mSR blade grip ball on with thick CA, getting the position just right and not using any kicker.

I let it cure all day, then came back and built up support around the back of the ball, (between it and the swash flange), making sure that I didn't get any on the ball itself. I then hit this with kicker to cure it all up.

I tested it with my finger and it seemed really solid. I then slapped it back on the mCPX, and proceeded to hammer the pitch pretty hard back and forth to test it's strength. Seems very solid. I'm keeping it on the heli to see how long it lasts.

The upshot? You can probably repair that back ball with thick CA in a pinch...and if you're careful about it.

Here's are some pics of the repair before I slapped it back on:

Cheers!
Nice! I like it, it actually works very well considering it doesn't take much force to break it to begin with! Here's a swash on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Blade-BLH3509-Co...item5adf8f133d
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:52 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
Looks like a good, solid repair!
Thanks buddy. I certainly hope so, else I'll probably slam in a wall or something. I wanna test it out to see if this is a viable repair option for those folks who can't get a spare swash at the moment.

I can't wait for microheli to come out with their aluminum swash. I'll take their Mark 1 Mod 0 at this point, since it looks like that back ball is a weak point.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:54 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Looks good. I use Q-Bond on everything I break that can be fixed. It works great for filling in stuff-> http://www.amazon.com/Bond-Repair-Sm.../dp/B003YI421I

Tony, that probably would have been better than thick CA honestly, but I didn't have any handy.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:58 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
Nice! I like it, it actually works very well considering it doesn't take much force to break it to begin with! Here's a swash on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Blade-BLH3509-Co...item5adf8f133d
You inspired me to try it, my man. How's yours holding up, btw?

EDIT: Wow, it's already up to over $20. Dang! Looks like everyone is in need at the moment.
Last edited by Hasher66; Mar 16, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:10 PM
Joined Sep 2009
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakoenig View Post
Genius ! Works great. I'm using the Kirkland variety pins from a new dress shirt.

It works great. And it's plenty tough. I snipped the pin to a short length, heated it up for a second on the stove gas burner and pushed it through the plastic. Then added a drop of CA to really hold it in place.
Nice work! Looks better than mine, lol...
turkeylord is offline Find More Posts by turkeylord
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:18 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeylord View Post
Nice work! Looks better than mine, lol...
It's looks like there are a variety of different ways to fix this back ball. This one looks more solid than mine, and qualifies for an 8 out of 10 on the Meebo scale, IMHO.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:22 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,168 Posts
Quote:
You inspired me to try it, my man. How's yours holding up, btw?

EDIT: Wow, it's already up to over $20. Dang! Looks like everyone is in need at the moment.
Mines doing great! Sometimes it would hold for months on the msr, darn thing would break off in a hard crash and ca it back for another month or two, this might be a quick fix but I never had one fail during flight!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:24 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,761 Posts
Quote:
It's looks like there are a variety of different ways to fix this back ball. This one looks more solid than mine, and qualifies for an 8 out of 10 on the Meebo scale, IMHO.
Uh oh I meeboed it. Honey, where is that pin cushion? Hehehehe
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:31 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,168 Posts
I broke the ball the very first time I tried to take the link off Since I have ca'ed it I have taken the link off 3 times for adjustments and it's fine, probably stronger than stock now. The ca sets to that plastic very nice, it's very easy to work with and it bonds very well, you'd be suprised, even without the pin!