SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 16, 2011, 04:42 AM
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
1,634 Posts
Clint, I agree with you 100%.

With linear servo's, as long as your endpoints don't bind, then simply adjusting the pitch subtrim is the best/easiest way to go. You risk more damage by turning these little servo rods too much and poking them too far into the links, either stripping the link threads, or going though the link itself and rubbinig against the ball itself.

Also, uneven link movement may adversely effect the fbl system and make it unstable.

Cheers,
TomC
TomC is offline Find More Posts by TomC
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:28 AM
If it ain't broke, fix it.
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meebo View Post
I'm with sviking on this one.
I too will definitely get the CNC swash when available.
Have you looked at the thickness of the plastic of the ball arms on the plastic swash, way way too thin. I've broken two ball links in crashes already having to replace the swash. Both these crashes were into 4 inch grass too.
Me too Meebs. I got home late last night and was very very tired, but still decided to fly my little guy anyway. I botched one of my funnels and zinged it into the TV. Net result? I broke the back ball off the swash just like slo-fly did. Fortunately, I bought a spare swash when I picked up my bird at the LHS, so I was back to flying in about 10 mins, (more gently this time).

As soon as that Aluminum swash comes out for the mCPX, I'm gonna get it. It was a significant performance upgrade on my mSR, and can't imagine that it'll make the mCPx a worse flying bird with a more precise swash.

slo-fly -- I didn't even think to try and CA it back on, but now that I know that you did it, I plan to get drunk tonight and try it, (just so I have an emergency back-up). What were you drinking, by the way, just so I can accurately replicate the repair experience?
Hasher66 is offline Find More Posts by Hasher66
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:01 AM
VAPORIZED
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2010
1,278 Posts
Jut wondering how many of you follow the instructions on where the correct battery placement is.
pappy1 is offline Find More Posts by pappy1
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:18 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy1 View Post
Jut wondering how many of you follow the instructions on where the correct battery placement is.
Because of the tabs on the sides of my batteries, I can not push them in that far. If I forced them I am sure something would break.
It really has me confused though, because my battery flies out when I crash, putting a lot of stress on the battery wire attachment point on the PCB. It looks as if the little tabs might be there to hold the battery in thigh.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:25 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Feb 2004
3,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I have the same issue not just in gust but any fast change in direction.
Z06 Tony said if you change Ele and Ail to 84% or lower it appears to stop this....i will try that in the morning as I left my heli at work.
84% on.... the Dual rates? (travel?)
Tony is an awesome guy, he helped me out alot when the 4G3 came out. this thing is a blast! I'll try the adjustment right now and test fly it to see what happens. thanks for the tip.

Bradon
helifrek is online now Find More Posts by helifrek
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D printing!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:35 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
3,011 Posts
tried it.... I am still getting some very severe wobbling..... tail keeps blowing out on me on hard punches, maybe something is binding........ also, sometimes the heli gets a weird vibration like something is out of balance and other times it flies smooth as silk.... still having fun flying it even with these couple of issues.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D printing!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:47 AM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasher66 View Post
As soon as that Aluminum swash comes out for the mCPX, I'm gonna get it. It was a significant performance upgrade on my mSR, and can't imagine that it'll make the mCPx a worse flying bird with a more precise swash.
That's right... I'd forgotten we'd talked about the microheli swashplate and how much I liked mine. I'm taking it you found it to be a worthy upgrade.

Yet some here will rant up and down about how it's "too heavy" and "no better".
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:02 PM
If it ain't broke, fix it.
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
That's right... I'd forgotten we'd talked about the microheli swashplate and how much I liked mine. I'm taking it you found it to be a worthy upgrade.

Yet some here will rant up and down about how it's "too heavy" and "no better".
You were the one who sold me on it and it was an excellent call, btw.

Didn't even notice a weight difference, and there was a BIG improvement in precision, (as much as you can call the mSR a "precise" bird that is).

Love it. Still got about 4 or 5 flights in last night even though I'm now infatuated with the mCPx.
Hasher66 is offline Find More Posts by Hasher66
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:09 PM
Heli Nut
United States, NY, Watertown
Joined Mar 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
That's interesting. I guess I should have read the WHOLE manual. I'll take a closer look at mine when I get home tonight. I remember looking at them and just assuming they were stops, like the shrink tube they put on the bigger cells for the msr and mcx.

~E
ESylin is offline Find More Posts by ESylin
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:10 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifrek View Post
84% on.... the Dual rates? (travel?)
Tony is an awesome guy, he helped me out alot when the 4G3 came out. this thing is a blast! I'll try the adjustment right now and test fly it to see what happens. thanks for the tip.

Bradon
Thanks alot bro. Still keepin the choppers going so your boys can "hunt" the bad guys? I limited the travel to 84% on the Elev/Ail. I dont use D/R or Expo.

BTW got my conns from Digikey today. It was $10 for enough batt leads and charge adapters for 20 batts(split it with my 2 buds so only $3.33 each for 6-7 of each. That was Priority mail shipping. Ordered Sun night and got them in 2 days.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:15 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Because of the tabs on the sides of my batteries, I can not push them in that far. If I forced them I am sure something would break.
It really has me confused though, because my battery flies out when I crash, putting a lot of stress on the battery wire attachment point on the PCB. It looks as if the little tabs might be there to hold the battery in thigh.
Ron
You are putting them in correct. I think the above poster might pushing them in to far. Pic is too blurry for me to tell. They can go in with the Red dot facing up or down on the batt. They only slide in to the plastic tab on the batt. They are not supposed to be jammed in farther. I have crashed and never lost a batt. Dont think that has been reported as a common problem.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:16 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESylin View Post
I'll take a closer look at mine when I get home tonight. I remember looking at them and just assuming they were stops, like the shrink tube they put on the bigger cells for the msr and mcx.
They ARE stops, from the looks of things. This may have been a last-minute design change to offset a different motor or heavier front end. If you want to check COg to see for sure, just curl a staple over into a hook and hang the heli from its spindle with the pack installed. The tail boom should be perfectly hortizontal.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:20 PM
M____ FL__RS
SA AUS.
Joined Jul 2010
559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblin5 View Post

That being said, I did grab a BNF MCP X and wanted to give my impressions after the first few flights:

- This is NOT a beginners heli, although it has features that make it more stable in flight.
disagree, this is my my 1st 4ch (as well as my 1st cp). this thing is perfect to learn on, with lowered rates. teaches proper heli skills unlike the msr. yes the msr is easier, affording quicker learning of orientation(but so does a sim), but it just doesn't fly right, imho. i flew my friends msr 5-6 times and really didn't like it. maybe all my sim time on cp's had something to do with it. just my 2c worth.....
ransideous is offline Find More Posts by ransideous
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:01 PM
Heli Nut
United States, NY, Watertown
Joined Mar 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransideous View Post
disagree, this is my my 1st 4ch (as well as my 1st cp). this thing is perfect to learn on, with lowered rates. teaches proper heli skills unlike the msr. yes the msr is easier, affording quicker learning of orientation(but so does a sim), but it just doesn't fly right, imho. i flew my friends msr 5-6 times and really didn't like it. maybe all my sim time on cp's had something to do with it. just my 2c worth.....
I've caught enough of this conversation, that I have to put my 2cents in.

Really, I think (and this is my opinion) that it would be a fine first helicopter even. But that is greatly dependent upon the pilot. My first helicopter was the original blade cp. I went through my share of crashes and such with it, but it got the job done, I got in the air and was flying circles. I then moved on to a Hirobo Shuttle, and so on from there.

As far as stability, this is a million times more stable than the original CP could even imagine being. I think its more stable than any of the FP heli's that were out around the same time the CP came out.

Not to mention durability and repair cost!

There may be better choices for the people that want to sit in their living room and practice orientations. However the MCP X has the ability to grow with the pilot.

Just my thoughts
~E
ESylin is offline Find More Posts by ESylin
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:20 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
3,011 Posts
There you are Tony! how ya been? long time no see since I joined the Army Still working on Hawks but am enjoying some "down time" since I got back from Iraq. I made the adjustment in D/R with position zero but instead I will go in and adjust it in travel and see if that fixes it. I have been getting some crazy wobbles with this thing after hard rolls and slowing down from FFF..... I'll try to get the wife to video my next flight so maybe you can see whats going on.

+1 for a metal swash, this plastic one has a lot of play for such a little bird. brushless would be nice to
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by helifrek; Mar 16, 2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: cannot spell..... but they let me in the Army, go figure.