SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:45 AM
VAPORIZED
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2010
1,276 Posts
Well i have had a good few days flying the mcp,so far i have found at the park on the cricket pitch ,a tail fin and a perfectly good feathering shaft.Sviking how did you fix your flight times?You were having crappy flight times ??
pappy1 is offline Find More Posts by pappy1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:51 AM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy1 View Post
Well i have had a good few days flying the mcp,so far i have found at the park on the cricket pitch ,a tail fin and a perfectly good feathering shaft.Sviking how did you fix your flight times?You were having crappy flight times ??
I fixed it by fixing the heli, as my worst problem wasn't battery issues, initially. Wobbles were so bad after about 1-1.5 minutes that I had to land as they became divergent and getting worse. Getting the heli flying smoothly allowed me to see how long the batteries could really last. One was giving me 5-6 min of flight and the other only around two for basic hovering type stuff. Definitely a bad cell and Horizon replaced my sloppy swashplate and battery in less than a week.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:56 AM
M____ FL__RS
SA AUS.
Joined Jul 2010
559 Posts
shizziks was never down on the grommets, just the rubberband idea, and i'd tend to agree.............
....ya gotta read better sv......
ransideous is offline Find More Posts by ransideous
Old Apr 03, 2011, 03:29 AM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
Ransideous is correct .....I said nothing bad about the grommets...The rubber band fix just seems to put too much stress and load on the servos...The vibrating issue could be only a tolerance issue with the size of the holes in the links..With parts this small 1 mil= a mile so tiny flaws in the parts will make a huge difference...The holes in the links may have cut to an oval or they might even be stretched by just pressing them on the ball link..You have to remember that the vibration is caused by the gyro..The gyro moves the servos to compensate for movement...The gyro will also keep moving the servo until it senses the compensation but if the gyro senses no compensation it will keep moving the servo...This will cause vibration because the servo is making larger movements which can lead to over compensation...If there was a way to insure a tighter fitting link there would be no vibrations...
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Apr 03, 2011, 03:43 AM
LiPo Cursed but Still Electric
Northern Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2010
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
Sorry, but I just had to investigate and post:

This is directly from isoglass3d's blog:

"After a number of crashes, I noticed my tail boom was weakening and flexing more to twisting force. Finally after a hard parking lot crash the boom splintered and broke."

So... Like... You are in this hobby and bitching about time and money??? Seriously??? I would be frustrated too if I spend several hours trying to retrofit existing parts on to a new carbon fiber tail boom when I could have instant gratification and buy one for $13 at my local hobby shop (especially if I was going to get 'frustrated' cause I crashed my helicopter hard into a parking lot and it broke)

I'm self employed, and all I can say is, anyone that takes the risk to try and 'make it' in this whiney ass customer pool has my tip of the hat.

Normal disclaimer before I get pounced: I'm absolutely positive that there are legitimate problems/issues with this heli. But this poster doesn't seem to have one of them.
Congratulations KTM, you're obviously not one of the angry owners Tail boom breakage from a crash, my fault, no arguments there. I also didn't complain about breaking or replacing the boom in the post. The purpose of the blog was to give potential DIY's - new to this hobby - some motivation and another option they may not have thought about. There was no retrofitting happening either, I was simply reproducing the part that was broken so I wouldn't have to waste money on extra parts I didn't need (the motor, holder, wire and plug) Replacement tailboom/motor cost me $15 not $13, 125mm of carbon fiber tube is $1 on the high side.

The problems that made me angry were the failing blade grips, crappy battery, and severe FBL reaction wobbles requiring further corrective action via a rubber band or parts from another one of Blade's older helicopters.

Hobby companies that decide to market R.C. heli's have the tip of my hat as well. This doesn't mean they can't make mistakes. It also doesn't mean I can't be angry for legitimate reasons.

BTW if you're in this hobby and not bitching about time and money, then you are probably one of those people still in denial.

Cheers,

-Iso
isogloss3d is offline Find More Posts by isogloss3d
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:14 AM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
Well, mine flies absolutely awesome in my book...now... Out of the box, it was a terrible performer, but a $12 swashplate (I pre-ordered some spares) and some grommets/O-rings I already had fixed it up right perfect. Hardly "lame" in my book and hardly the "end of the world" with this heli. I also had a bum battery, but HH had the spare swashplate and battery to me in less than a week and both parts were showing as backordered. Pretty stellar customer service.

So, lighten up and give it a chance. Mine flies for 6 minutes while hovering and basic slow forward flight indoors. I limit it to 5 minutes outdoors and never had a problem. I'm going to start in with aerobatics next week, so we'll see how that goes. At any rate, at this point, I KNOW it's a very smooth and stable micro CP heli.
I'm not on board with the idea that the heli always needs mods right out of the box to fly correctly.Certainly some are like that,as SViking's experience,and others points out.Mine flew great out of the box-it wasn't until after a lot of wear and tear and several bad crashes that I found the need to change anything on it at all.But c'mon man,its a CP heli,wether it was cheap at 200 bucks or not.Mine has 22 flight hours on it.It developed the shakes and it threw a blade and it has required some mods cause I don't see changing out the swashplate and grips to reduce the slop until it get to the point where the grommets don't help anymore.I'm glad my heli hasn't had any major problems.It has definitely saved me a ton of cash considering what it costs to crash one of my bigger helis.Not that I'm into crashing,but,it does happen when you are learning new skills.
Anyway,if I need to mod the heli to put off buying replacements for worn parts,that's fine with me.For those that are having to mod right out of the box,just remember how much cash you're saving
Unless you just want to settle for FPs
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:59 AM
Joined Dec 2008
12 Posts
Too lazy to sift through so many pages of stuff..
But has this been seen yet?

http://www.rakonheli.com/rkh/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

Lighter than stock....
more_eggs is offline Find More Posts by more_eggs
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:14 AM
United Kingdom, Knutsford
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Indoor flying

What are the best pitch and throttle curves for indoor flying in 16' x 16' (5m x 5m) room such as hovering, slow circuits? Have entered those from the manual into DX6i but in Normal mode it seems very aggressive on pitch.
ihover is offline Find More Posts by ihover
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:38 AM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by more_eggs View Post
Too lazy to sift through so many pages of stuff..
But has this been seen yet?

http://www.rakonheli.com/rkh/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

Lighter than stock....
Appears to be heavier,judging from the readouts of the scales.Some pretty bling,though.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:13 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isogloss3d View Post
+1

I've had a couple similar main motor cut outs and the tail was apparently the issue. The enamel coated wire running from the tail through the boom to the 3-in-1 can be finicky in it's durability. Sometimes the wire can take quite a bit of abuse and still hold it's integrity. Other times only a slight scrape, nick or sharp bend of the wire can be enough to weaken the enamel and create intermittent shorts.

If your heli is relatively new and crash free then this could be a 3-in-1 problem. For all the crashers out there (myself included) the cut outs could be a result of cumulative crash damage. Simply because you can pick up your heli and fly away after a crash doesn't mean there was no damage done. Granted, the mCP X is very durable compared to any other CP heli but all helicopters seem to "keep score" when crashed and like to collect when you least expect it. What seems like a failure out of nowhere is often something a long time coming from a crash 2 days ago.

Moral of the story, don't crash!
Same with my msr. When I swapped to the aluminium body, it wore the tail wire enamel so quickly that I ended up with shorts.
rchelijc is offline Find More Posts by rchelijc
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:25 AM
Joined Dec 2008
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinbeachman View Post
Appears to be heavier,judging from the readouts of the scales.Some pretty bling,though.
If you look at the reading on the scale of the heli that has the full cnc head and tail, it is lighter dude...
Yeah the cnc tail itself is heavier, but the whole cnc head results in a reduced weight
more_eggs is offline Find More Posts by more_eggs
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:30 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
Sorry, but I just had to investigate and post:

This is directly from isoglass3d's blog:

"After a number of crashes, I noticed my tail boom was weakening and flexing more to twisting force. Finally after a hard parking lot crash the boom splintered and broke."

So... Like... You are in this hobby and bitching about time and money??? Seriously??? I would be frustrated too if I spend several hours trying to retrofit existing parts on to a new carbon fiber tail boom when I could have instant gratification and buy one for $13 at my local hobby shop (especially if I was going to get 'frustrated' cause I crashed my helicopter hard into a parking lot and it broke)

I'm self employed, and all I can say is, anyone that takes the risk to try and 'make it' in this whiney ass customer pool has my tip of the hat.

Normal disclaimer before I get pounced: I'm absolutely positive that there are legitimate problems/issues with this heli. But this poster doesn't seem to have one of them.
KTM, I'm with you... but there is some truth to what he said. From a non-RC person, what we do is probably insane. I can't think of any other hobby, pimping rides included, where you would be satisfied if you dumped cash and something wasn't 100%.

In my world at least, the ratio of time spent fiddling, modding and fixing, vs real flight/drive time, is probably something like 20:1.

And that's just the right ratio for me...

I'm in this hobby because I won't 'grow up' in the 'outside world' perspective, meaning I there ain't a chance in hell I'll be able to pick up chicks with my mad hovering skills.
rchelijc is offline Find More Posts by rchelijc
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:01 AM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I already sold out of replacement mCPx tail booms, but I have more material ariving later this week. I finished the existing orders this morning. These are cut, filed, smoothed, and checked for correct tolerances.

Yes, this requires pulling the wires and re-soldering the connector, but it's way cheaper than buying a whole new tail.

If you want replacement booms, and you hate itchy carbon fiber dust, PM me.
3-pack for $10 to your door.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:15 AM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by more_eggs View Post
If you look at the reading on the scale of the heli that has the full cnc head and tail, it is lighter dude...
Yeah the cnc tail itself is heavier, but the whole cnc head results in a reduced weight
Well,that's the pic you linked,right?I also looked at the cross-sectional drawing of the RKH grip as well,and it doesn't include any design elements that would keep the grip on in case of a bearing failure,just like the original "failed" mCP grip. Hopefully this,and other aftermarket stuff,will turn out to be good products,but the grips don't really turn me on.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:29 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro_pyro View Post
I already sold out of replacement mCPx tail booms, but I have more material ariving later this week. I finished the existing orders this morning. These are cut, filed, smoothed, and checked for correct tolerances.

Yes, this requires pulling the wires and re-soldering the connector, but it's way cheaper than buying a whole new tail.

If you want replacement booms, and you hate itchy carbon fiber dust, PM me.
3-pack for $10 to your door.
I ordered some last night and they aren't here yet??? So I had to install my spare boom assembly as I can't go without flying my mCP...

I keep thinking I need to order another mCP as two just aren't enough..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob