HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2011, 11:23 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
Interesting. Would that cause the main motor to just up and quit, though?
Loss of transmitter signal and failsafe to the throttle setting when the RX was bound to the transmitter (low stick). Only fits if he was in normal mode though.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:15 AM
M____ FL__RS
SA AUS.
Joined Jul 2010
559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
Loss of transmitter signal and failsafe to the throttle setting when the RX was bound to the transmitter (low stick). Only fits if he was in normal mode though.
sorry, but i don't think it matters what mode your in th will cut regardless, think about it, "we'll give a signal loss failsafe for normal but not stunt"......
i don't think so.........
ransideous is offline Find More Posts by ransideous
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:04 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC1 View Post
I was outside flying this evening when the main motor just stopped and it just fell from the air. The servos were still buzzing so there was still some electrical power on but the heli wouldn't respond to any controls. At first I thought it was some ridiculously abrupt LVC (I was 3 minutes into the battery) but I switched to a fresh battery and it happened again right as I lifted off. Now it does it every time. The longest flight I can get is now about 4 seconds. The heli is virtually new and has had less than 10 batteries run through it. I don't see any loose wires or obviously bad connections.
That sounds a lot like what happened to mine - you could wiggle the servos but it would just cut as soon as I spooled up.

I took it back to my LHS and demonstrated the problem (after trying a different battery in case both my batteries were faulty)

HH are sending a replacement main board for it.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:09 AM
Chapel Hill, NC
Joined Apr 2009
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
That sounds a lot like what happened to mine - you could wiggle the servos but it would just cut as soon as I spooled up.

I took it back to my LHS and demonstrated the problem (after trying a different battery in case both my batteries were faulty)

HH are sending a replacement main board for it.
I tried a new set of batteries in the TX and it made no difference. It always cuts out after I spool up, mostly before it can even lift off.

After it cuts out it still makes buzzing noises like the servos are still active and it is powered on. At that point it doesn't respond to any input. If I unplug the battery and plug it back in it powers up normal and the cycle starts over again.
DAC1 is offline Find More Posts by DAC1
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:29 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC1 View Post
I tried a new set of batteries in the TX and it made no difference. It always cuts out after I spool up, mostly before it can even lift off.

After it cuts out it still makes buzzing noises like the servos are still active and it is powered on. At that point it doesn't respond to any input. If I unplug the battery and plug it back in it powers up normal and the cycle starts over again.
Unplug the tail motor and see if it will run longer..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 02, 2011, 01:43 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,664 Posts
This is an amazingly tough little bird! I have had no problem flying it in FFF and just today started trying some loops. First couple did not end so well and ended with my first three bonifide crashes but once I knew it was going in just hit the TH and released the sticks and watch it fall. Picked it up and with the exception of having to re-adjust the main gear once, and loosing a control arm once, no issues at all.

I have actually managed to get 3 successfull inverts back to level. (I hesitate to call them loops, as they were NOT very gracefull, the sim only gets you so far on this stuff. )

I am amazed that this heli takes the drops as well as it does, every bit as good as the mSR, IMO. It handles a little wind without any issues and is VERY agile yet quite stable when you go to hover.

Overall, continue to be seriously impressed, despite those first two servo ssues. What a great heli.

Marlin

(One happy mCPX owner!)
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:28 PM
Chapel Hill, NC
Joined Apr 2009
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Unplug the tail motor and see if it will run longer..
I haven't tried that. I did call HH and they are sending me a new 3 in one board. They of course emphasized that this is a one time courtesy and not some kind warranty claim.
DAC1 is offline Find More Posts by DAC1
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:52 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
longitudinal "wobbles/shakes"

After kind of a severe crash onto concrete (broke both main blades, darnit) I've got the wobblies, fore and aft...

Likely cause? Bent feathering shaft?

No play in shaft or rotor head/grips, blades loose enough. Could possibly be unbalanced blades..

Bud, wobbly Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:05 PM
UK, Leeds.
Joined Mar 2009
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
After kind of a severe crash onto concrete (broke both main blades, darnit) I've got the wobblies, fore and aft...

Likely cause? Bent feathering shaft?

No play in shaft or rotor head/grips, blades loose enough. Could possibly be unbalanced blades..

Bud, wobbly Bud
You can check FS by turning the shaft with a screw driver whilst feeling for any movement in the blade grips. Very likely a bent FS shaft though. I've been through quite a few but I use the Walkera 4G6 ones (a lot cheaper) and shaved the brass head spacers slightly to accommodate-I'm using Trex bearings which are slightly wider.
rew-7 is offline Find More Posts by rew-7
Last edited by rew-7; Apr 02, 2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: forgot to mention the bearing swap.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:15 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rew-7 View Post
You can check FS by turning the shaft with a screw driver whilst feeling for any movement in the blade grips. Very likely a bent FS shaft though. I've been through quite a few but I use the Walkera 4G6 ones (a lot cheaper) and shaved the brass head spacers slightly to accommodate-I'm using Trex bearings which are slightly wider.
Thanks! Good tip, that.
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:27 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Just finished a session of flying and taking pictures , oh and repairing in between as well, of the mCPx. This is one nutty Heli, never mind taking pictures at the same time while flying

In the end, nobody was hurt, and only a few parts were relinquished
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:56 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
For those who break tail booms, you can split the broken rod to get the intact wires out, then you can use solid CF rod and wrap the wires around it. However, it looks terrible, and throws off the COG balance.

For those who don't mind soldering, but aren't interested in spending $15 for a whole tail boom assembly, you can buy the CF tubing online and make you own. I did.

For those who are not interested in carefully cutting and filing carbon fiber (itchy!), I have some extra, and I can make a couple dozen spares. Ends would be finely and cleanly cut like the photo below. Would anyone be interested in a 3-pack of replacement tail booms? pm me...

-Chad

hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:48 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Hi all,

Just got done with an awesome evening of some indoor flying down at the local community center (club rents the place out for 2 hours every other Sat nite). I was the only one with an mCP X there and I certainly got a lot of attention and questions after flying it! Biggest comment was "Can't believe how smooth and fast that thing flies!"

I noticed that I am starting to get wobbles out of the thing every once in a while... I can't believe the thing even flies with all the slop that is amplified by each ball joint in the swash and connecting rods. I'm sure it is very difficult to come up with the right size for those super tiny ball/socket joints, especially when you have to consider expansion/contraction for various temperatures.

Anyway, I've heard of other folks putting a rubber band around something. The only place it looks like you can do it is directly below the blades around the two main connecting rods. I bought some rubber bands at office depot the other day, but they are all too big (long) to just go around once.

I was wondering if there might not be another solution... What about using a heavy grease (like a trailer wheel bearing grease) and kind of "packing" it into the (ball/socket) joints. Does anyone else thing that might do a good job of dampening/tightening up the slop, or does that just sound like a really messy thing to try that couldn't possibly work?
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:51 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
I was wondering if there might not be another solution... What about using a heavy grease (like a trailer wheel bearing grease) and kind of "packing" it into the (ball/socket) joints. Does anyone else thing that might do a good job of dampening/tightening up the slop, or does that just sound like a really messy thing to try that couldn't possibly work?
NO...do not do that... Just use one canopy grommet behind each front swashplate ball. If you're feeling really jiggy, put an mSR feathering spindle O-ring behind the aft/elevator ball. It really works. Mine had BAD wobbles one minute into flight out of the box. I did have a bad swashplate, but I'm assuming you don't. With a new "correct" swashplate and these grommets/O-ring, my mCP X now remains silky smooth until the end of every battery pack.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:18 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
NO...do not do that... Just use one canopy grommet behind each front swashplate ball. If you're feeling really jiggy, put an mSR feathering spindle O-ring behind the aft/elevator ball. It really works. Mine had BAD wobbles one minute into flight out of the box. I did have a bad swashplate, but I'm assuming you don't. With a new "correct" swashplate and these grommets/O-ring, my mCP X now remains silky smooth until the end of every battery pack.
Oh yea, I forgot about the grommet trick. I like that idea much better than a rubber band or my stupid grease idea. I'll try that, post up a photo, and you can tell me if I did it right.
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr