HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:06 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
Can't beat HH for support, I order the new blade grips with the B on them, interesting to see how long it takes for them to get here, although these are flying fine.

I have fallen in love with this little guy, I can't believe I am reading that folks have broken theirs, I have crashed....lots of times and never so much as a snapped link or main gear popping down. I was flying yesterday and got too far away after some sloppy flips and I couldn't tell if I was heading for the trees/creek so I just hit the throttle hold and it fluttered out of the sky....guess you really can't auto this thing but it landed so soft I just picked it up, held it in my hand and launched again. Try that with a 500 sized heli and it would cost at least $50 in repairs.

This heli is a winner
Yup, no complaints at all here with HH's customer support. And, that's saying a lot.

You're right about the "no auto" thing. Notice how fast the blades stop when you shut it down on the ground? Same thing in the air. No one-way auto bearing, virtually zero head inertia...heck, look at how hard it is to turn the main gear by hand...
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:13 PM
Gone Insane .... Back Soon!!
Meebo's Avatar
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
Man i wish we had the same sort of support here in Aus, when i had a faulty tail motor straight out of the packet, i had to send it back for them to test it before they would replace or credit it. A pissy little $20 retail item (prolly $0.0001 cost) and it still had to be sent back all the while you guys are getting 5 in 1 boards replaced with virtually no questions asked.
It sux for us.
Meebo is offline Find More Posts by Meebo
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:21 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meebo View Post
Man i wish we had the same sort of support here in Aus, when i had a faulty tail motor straight out of the packet, i had to send it back for them to test it before they would replace or credit it. A pissy little $20 retail item (prolly $0.0001 cost) and it still had to be sent back all the while you guys are getting 5 in 1 boards replaced with virtually no questions asked.
It sux for us.
Other than the distances and shipping costs, I wonder what the difference is. How far into (or out of) the warranty are you? I was told the "grace period" warranty was only two weeks. After that, they wanted you to send it in. Got a little dicey when he wanted me to send in my THREE DAY old mCP X because of just a bad swashplate (I had spares) and a bad battery. He misunderstood me and said he thought it was three weeks and they were really having problems with idiots trying to get free crash parts. That's how I found out about the warranty period. I don't believe I've ever seen it officially written anywhere in HH literature.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:36 PM
Gone Insane .... Back Soon!!
Meebo's Avatar
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
Other than the distances and shipping costs, I wonder what the difference is. How far into (or out of) the warranty are you? I was told the "grace period" warranty was only two weeks. After that, they wanted you to send it in. Got a little dicey when he wanted me to send in my THREE DAY old mCP X because of just a bad swashplate (I had spares) and a bad battery. He misunderstood me and said he thought it was three weeks and they were really having problems with idiots trying to get free crash parts. That's how I found out about the warranty period. I don't believe I've ever seen it officially written anywhere in HH literature.
This was a replacement tail boom assembly that i had purchased, it was brand new out of the packet, the age of the heli doesn't matter in this example but for the record the heli was about 7-8 weeks old at the time i think.
Meebo is offline Find More Posts by Meebo
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:47 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
I flew some helis at the park today 3 packs on the mCP X, 1 pack on the 4G6 on steroids and 1 pack on my T-Rex 250se. I crashed the mCP X five times and only damage was pushed down main gear. I did manage to get dialed in on flips, rolls, loops and a little inverted flight On the 4G6 and 250se all I can say is WOW no crashes lots of flips, rolls, loops and inverted more power is really nice. Then two kids showed up and started throwing a football, they walked right onto the soccer field I was flying the 250se in so I had to abort and land. Some people are really rude and dumb

Anyways a really good flying day considering the wind was 5 MPH with gusts to 8 MPH.

Don
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:51 PM
Heli Mad
stevebarrow's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
973 Posts
Some poeple just don't understand that models and balls don't mix. I even had a dog owner let their mutt jump over my heli (which wasn't going at the time) and then just walked off saying nothing...
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:00 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meebo View Post
This was a replacement tail boom assembly that i had purchased, it was brand new out of the packet, the age of the heli doesn't matter in this example but for the record the heli was about 7-8 weeks old at the time i think.
Maybe it's different with a whole aircraft because it's more inconvenient and costly for the customer to send back in. But, understandably, they can't be sending out free replacement parts to every Joe Blow who calls in and says XYZ doesn't work, either. Even with proof of recent purchase... That's exactly why I went ahead and installed my new 5-in-1 in the mSR even though the original one was perfectly fine. I didn't want to actually need it six months down the road and find out it was DOA right out of the package.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:03 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebarrow View Post
Some poeple just don't understand that models and balls don't mix. I even had a dog owner let their mutt jump over my heli (which wasn't going at the time) and then just walked off saying nothing...
That's why, personally, I feel flying in public parks is a BAD idea. Too many people, kids, animals, etc for distractions. Plus, I hate getting swamped by kids standing around and asking a zillion questions about how much it costs and can they fly it...while I'm trying to fly... Been there, done that and helis attract lookie loos like nothing else.

We've already had incidents of bystanders being hit with helis in parks and, one day, this BAD precedent is going to get the serious shutdown. We already have the FCC and, now, the FAA sticking their noses into our hobby. Don't need anymore goobermint oversight, federal OR local.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:35 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Yeah, I agree. That is why I shut it down and left. I only fly on weekdays so don't have many people and kids are usually in school.

Fly safe, Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
That's why, personally, I feel flying in public parks is a BAD idea. Too many people, kids, animals, etc for distractions. Plus, I hate getting swamped by kids standing around and asking a zillion questions about how much it costs and can they fly it...while I'm trying to fly... Been there, done that and helis attract lookie loos like nothing else.

We've already had incidents of bystanders being hit with helis in parks and, one day, this BAD precedent is going to get the serious shutdown. We already have the FCC and, now, the FAA sticking their noses into our hobby. Don't need anymore goobermint oversight, federal OR local.
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:43 PM
Registered User
destinbeachman's Avatar
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Hey,I'm out in the yard,flogging the little thing around,seeing how tight and fast I can get it to fly and generally just having a ball,and I suddenly realize it's ballooning pretty bad and the handling goes to crap.I check it out and somehow,while I had it in the air,somewhere in the middle of a pack,it has waaayy too much +pitch and maybe 2* -pitch.I tried re-binding it.No change.Anyway,I just screwed the links in,but WTH?
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:51 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
maukabud's Avatar
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinbeachman View Post
Hey,I'm out in the yard,flogging the little thing around,seeing how tight and fast I can get it to fly and generally just having a ball,and I suddenly realize it's ballooning pretty bad and the handling goes to crap.I check it out and somehow,while I had it in the air,somewhere in the middle of a pack,it has waaayy too much +pitch and maybe 2* -pitch.I tried re-binding it.No change.Anyway,I just screwed the links in,but WTH?
Something sort of like that happened to me last night...tooling around in the living room, suddenly the machine starts "pitch pumping" and ballooning w/ no input...odd...checked my pitch...0 @ midstick, just like I had adjusted it...changed the blades from the bullets to the high performance ones...went away. Go figure....

I can't make up my mind which type of blades I like better...I think I'm leaning more towards the h/p's...even for indoor tight-quarters work....

Took mine to work today/tonite...I have a nice big unused gym out back where no one goes...indoor RC pilots dream, heheh. Really sweet to finally start exploring what it can do, without walls in the way.



Bud, commiting aviation Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:00 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinbeachman View Post
Hey,I'm out in the yard,flogging the little thing around,seeing how tight and fast I can get it to fly and generally just having a ball,and I suddenly realize it's ballooning pretty bad and the handling goes to crap.I check it out and somehow,while I had it in the air,somewhere in the middle of a pack,it has waaayy too much +pitch and maybe 2* -pitch.I tried re-binding it.No change.Anyway,I just screwed the links in,but WTH?
You shouldn't have messed with the links, as they weren't the problem. Start at the beginning of the flight control chain of custody. Are all three servo linear sliders centered at half stick? I'm assuming you're using NO trim or sub trim on lateral and fore/aft cyclic. Move up to the swashplate. Is it level? If so, then the inspect higher up. Did you lose the head screw and the hub slipped down, giving more positive pitch, or something? How are the condition and quality of the links, blade grips, etc?

If there's no mechanical abnormalities, then the electronics are suspect. Again, with the radio bound and the throttle at half stick at 50% with zero degrees pitch, the servos should be centered in their tracks. The last thing you want is to mechanically adjust those links to compensate for this problem and have it revert back to its usual self and slam it into the deck because there is now too much negative pitch set mechanically since you shortened the pushrod link length. I know it's a stupid question, but maybe you inadvertently switched into another flight mode and didn't realize it?
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:03 PM
Registered User
destinbeachman's Avatar
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
You shouldn't have messed with the links. Start at the beginning of the flight control chain of custody. Are all three servo linear sliders centered at half stick? I'm assuming you're using NO trim or sub trim on lateral and fore/aft cyclic. Move up to the swashplate. Is it level? If so, then the inspect higher up. Did you lose the head screw and the hub slipped down, giving more positive pitch, or something? How are the condition and quality of the links, blade grips, etc?

If there's no mechanical abnormalities, then the electronics are suspect. Again, with the radio bound and the throttle at half stick at 50% with zero degrees pitch, the servos should be centered in their tracks. The last thing you want is to mechanically adjust those links to compensate for this problem and have it revert back to it's usual self and slam it into the deck because there is now too much negative pitch set mechanically since you shortened the links. I know it's a stupid question, but maybe you inadvertently switched into another flight mode and didn't realize it?
Don't bring logic into this.Yeah,I was just wondering myself wether or not it might suddenly "correct" and pull 10* neg.I'll give it a good once over.
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:08 PM
Registered User
destinbeachman's Avatar
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Swashplate is separating.
Good call VV
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:17 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinbeachman View Post
Swashplate is separating.
Good call VV
VV? SV.

And, there ya go... Something mechanical, as I first suspected. Makes perfect sense. Non-rotating star can't go anywhere in a separation, so the rotating star has no choice but to move upward. And, booyah...there's your mysterious extra positive pitch.

This is exactly how I troubleshot my severe wobble. Just looked closely at the entire flight control chain and noticed that when I gently twisted the grips in a collective fashion, I could see the rotating star of the swashplate moving up and down in relation to the non-rotating star. In my case, it wasn't simple swashplate separation. It was a crappy bearing. Almost as if the balls were too small. I could actually see the inner race moving up and down in the outer race once I got it off the heli.

At least, if you're careful, you can use CA and fix your swashplate. Not so, in my case but, thankfully, I had the foresight to order a couple of spares. Neither of the spares had this slop. I just received my replacement swashplate from HH today and it's nice and tight, too.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Blade mCP X BNF Heli... ChuckTseeker Micro Helis 15427 Aug 29, 2014 09:43 AM
Discussion Blade mCP X Discuss anything thread A Rdnek Micro Helis 457 Jul 26, 2011 11:34 PM
Discussion The New BLADE mCP X Has Arrived... ChuckTseeker Electric Heli Talk 38 Mar 27, 2011 07:35 PM
Discussion new blade mcp X anyone know anything new. epoweredrc Atlanta Area RC 6 Mar 16, 2011 08:14 PM
Discussion Blade mCP x - strictly on topic Q and A thread jdog83 Micro Helis 58 Feb 07, 2011 02:28 PM