SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:06 PM
United Kingdom, Knutsford
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I was just out flying and thinking about this.... I don't think about where the throttle stick is I just move it to where the heli does what I want it to do. I don't have a problem when switching from say the 120SR to the mCP and often take turns flying them... I'm even starting to think of making one of the mCP's a at home flier and setting normal up like a FP throttle and start with 0 pitch at L,, just to get the better range of control for around the house..

But every time I think about this I run into the problem of how to do it.. and still have a normal NORMAL on stunt one and stunt on stunt two.. And then think you know this is fine just the way it is.. Grab another battery and go back to flying..
My mSR is setup to hover at mid stick, is that wrong too?
ihover is offline Find More Posts by ihover
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:08 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihover View Post
Not so much. It's a fixed pitch heli with basically one flight mode and can't do any semblance of anything inverted. Mine is set up to hover at 1/2 stick, as well. I guess I could set up like a CP bird, but it's really not that big of a deal since switching flight modes doesn't really apply.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:15 PM
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
The thing is this guys - Are you setting it up for hovering or for flying? For flying, you probably want zero pitch in the middle, but if all you're ever going to do is precision altitude maintenance, then you could have zero pitch at the bottom, for more precision. If switching between these modes will confuse you, then pick one and stay with it. If you pick the "hovers at center stick" style of flying - then you will never learn 3D properly and will have difficult habits to un-learn. When you are new is when it's most important to learn good habits - for me, right now, flying a helicopter with a wonky pitch curve wouldn't mess me up - it would just feel wrong. I would be mentally rejecting the wrong setup, but a beginner would be learning the wrong setup - very different problem there.
Just out of interest, what would happen if it were setup to hover mid stick and we went inverted?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:20 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Thank you - push rods now back 3 turns, just as it was supplied! Hovering at 70% and blades look like they are 0 deg pitch at midstick
Perfect that is what you want for setting up a cp heli as it should be so it is able to fly using idle up without unpredictable drops and also have a predictable behavior while flying/fliping and hovering upside down
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:22 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Just out of interest, what would happen if it were setup to hover mid stick and we went inverted?
You could do it but it would be hard to stay smooth on the sticks going from pos to neg as the 0 pitch poistion would be a small area low on the stick...and you would have a smaller area for the entire negitve pitch range compared to a huge stick area for pos pitch change

It is just much easier for setup and flight to have neg everything below 50% and Pos for everything above 50% as it makes it predictable so you can make smooth transitions knowing your pitch change is linear
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:33 PM
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
You could do it but it would be hard to stay smooth on the sticks going from pos to neg as the 0 pitch poistion would be a small area low on the stick...and you would have a smaller area for the entire negitve pitch range compared to a huge stick area for pos pitch change

It is just much easier for setup and flight to have neg everything below 50% and Pos for everything above 50% as it makes it predictable so you can make smooth transitions knowing your pitch change is linear
Got it... thanks for that. 3D on phoenix coming up... then 3D on mCP X
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:35 PM
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Does anyone have the green canopy, and is it a pale lime green but the "matching" fin is a bright green?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:42 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Mine isn't set up that way - hovers at a different place every day. It's a completely different helicopter.

Quote:
On this heli, you would run out of negative pitch and probably wouldn't be able to hold it inverted. It depends on how you set it up - if you did it with pitch curves like 0-50-75-85-100 (and you had zero pitch at 50% on the pitch curve), then you could do it - but all of your negative pitch would be in the bottom 25% of the stick travel, and you would have bad collective control.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:57 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone have the green canopy, and is it a pale lime green but the "matching" fin is a bright green?
I have a Green Canopy and it's a good match.. I'll get you a photo.

<edit> Attached Images
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Last edited by ViperZ; Mar 30, 2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:41 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Man I'm luvin this heli already....

It's been too dang windy to fly outside (gusting 50+ knots!)...but I've progressed past just living room hovering (and crashing ) and now doing slow flattish "lazy Ss'" in the l/r....and sometimes "not-so-lazy-C's"...lol...and some unintentional err...figure "9's".

Trying to get over the "panic/dumb thumbs" thing when starting an oval circuit and it's time for the "nose-in-right-at-me part". Not because I don't know how to fly nose-in- I do...it's just that my little living room walls are *so* close....and this heli takes such small inputs...but it's cool...me likey.

Outdoors is gonna be hella fun...

Bud, small inputs for now Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:45 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Mine isn't set up that way - hovers at a different place every day. It's a completely different helicopter.
Oh, definitely... I should have said "about half stick" as that's where I set it up initially, as I had to have a point of reference. Not real precise in altitude control, those FP helis...
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:48 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Trying to get over the "panic/dumb thumbs" thing when starting an oval circuit and it's time for the "nose-in-right-at-me part". Not because I don't know how to fly nose-in- I do...it's just that my little living room walls are *so* close....and this heli takes such small inputs...
And, that's exactly why I said I find the mSR much easier (i.e. relaxing) to fly indoors. Just toss it up and throw it around. I can fly CP just fine, too, but the mCP X is just a more "serious" machine indoors, to me. I have tons of space in the house...just not in one room...too many damned smallish ones or too much furniture/crap in them.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:57 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Man I'm luvin this heli already....

It's been too dang windy to fly outside (gusting 50+ knots!)...but I've progressed past just living room hovering (and crashing ) and now doing slow flattish "lazy Ss'" in the l/r....and sometimes "not-so-lazy-C's"...lol...and some unintentional err...figure "9's".

Trying to get over the "panic/dumb thumbs" thing when starting an oval circuit and it's time for the "nose-in-right-at-me part". Not because I don't know how to fly nose-in- I do...it's just that my little living room walls are *so* close....and this heli takes such small inputs...but it's cool...me likey.

Outdoors is gonna be hella fun...

Bud, small inputs for now Bud
I was flying my mCPx indoors after supper until I crashed into the dinning room table. The mCPx was unscathed, but I noticed I put a good blade nick into the table leg.... <whistles and leaves the room quickly>

So I took it out side and flew a pack through it until I crash landed (yeah that's what it was ) it into a snow bank. Again I quickly unplugged the battery so nothing would short out, and decided that enough was enough..

SO, I pulled out the V450 Heli and put 2 packs of solid hovering/flying in! That was awesome! What a great evening! Outside is where it's at!
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:04 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
I've been alternating w/ back-to-back flights...mCP/mSr/mCP/mSr/...till I look up and it's 3AM lol! It's not really a great idea for getting used to a new heli...but...I was an idiot and didn't jump on the Hyperion/connector boat early enough...so I only have the marginal 2 stock batts and one lousy adapter.

Pretty fun to progress w/ the mCP for a flight..then ROC (rise off counter) w/ the mSR and *whip* it around the house, mach schnell!!! Then back to the mCP...whoa, wake up call!

Babying the Eflite batts till my Hyps arrive..sans connectors (b/o)...simply followed my "normal" new batt break-in/conditioning procedure:

1st three flights: 3 min runtimes
1st three charges: 100mah (.5C)

next 10 or so flights: 4 min runtimes
next 10 charges: 200mah (1C)

Now up to 4:30 min flights
charging @ 300mah (now 400mah, as of today)

Would never think of charging any 200mah batt at the manual recommendation of .7A...I don't even do it w/ Hyps...

Just need the Eflite batts to hold up till my 8 Hyps arrive...I'll be parallel charging themz, oh yes!

Bud, alternating Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:25 AM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Just need the Eflite batts to hold up till my 8 Hyps arrive...I'll be parallel charging themz, oh yes!
Me, too. I already got my two 6 port Hyperion parallel charging boards with leads plugged in and looking like an octopus.

A buddy here is making me up two Hyperion 240s and I have the Dylwad battery holder on the way. Can't wait!

Unfortunately, my charger from Hobby King is on the slow boat from China. Up to 45 days shipping.

In the mean time, I've been using my 4 port mSR charger, which is pre-set at .3A, so 1.5C on the stock cells is just fine.