SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:44 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
Discussion
Blade MCP X - owner's thread

Aiming to get constructive discussion on the mcp-x, the good stuff and what to watch out for, and mods to make it 'better'.
rchelijc is offline Find More Posts by rchelijc
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:00 AM
Areoplain Chapmion Flire
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
147 Posts
Owner since last friday.

Oh first up, run some clear tape on the inside of your canopy where the 3in1 can rub against it from time to time. Then there'll be less chance of paint wearing off.

Also I did the MSR tail mod - the heat shrink over the can to keep the wires protected and the cap firmly in place.
Mister Gun is offline Find More Posts by Mister Gun
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:03 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,376 Posts
The wiki page for the mCP-x is here:
http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwi...ite_Blade_mCPX

Here's the current Issues and Modifications section
Quote:
Here are the areas to watch:
* The main gear is only a pushfit on the main shaft, and can work loose in a crash. To check it twist the blade grips slightly and see if the main gear moves. If so hold the top of the main shaft and push up on the main gear with two thumbs towards the center of the main gear. Be careful not to break the main gear but it will sometimes take a little effort to push. It only takes 5 seconds to do. You will notice immediately if you try to fly with the main gear pushed down a little as you will have a lot less positive pitch.
* The links between the swashplate and blade grips can fly off in a crash and are easily lost. There are spares in the box, but you could teather them with strong thread or dental floss.
There's also a Tips and Tricks thread here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399947
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Last edited by RobinBennett; Mar 21, 2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:30 AM
learning to crash Heli's
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2007
747 Posts
Can you please update the Wiki, the last line saying the bearings are from the tail of the 250 is incorrect (I made a mistake when I originally posted the info), the bearings are used on the washout arms of the 250 and possibly other areas in the head (flybar cage, etc).

Thanks,

Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline Find More Posts by Thunder Fighter
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:56 AM
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
Hi Dennis
FYI , anyone that has registered with Wiki can go in and edit any of the pages , i just took the liberty to paste "washout arms " into the article for you , best regards
mCP_X is offline Find More Posts by mCP_X
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:00 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,376 Posts
I went to update it, but someone else had already done it :-)

The whole point of a wiki is that it's really easy for anyone to create an account and change stuff. It's also really easy to undo stuff if you make a mistake, so don't worry about messing it up if you've not tried it before.

EDIT: ha ha, you beat me to posting here too!
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:05 PM
learning to crash Heli's
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2007
747 Posts
Yep, I knew about editing it but as i was on my way to bed, I hoped you would be able to correct it while I was sleeping.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline Find More Posts by Thunder Fighter
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:28 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
how about some radio setups for BNF?
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 09, 2011, 05:57 PM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
MCP-X Mechanical Swash Setup - Howto - reposted

This is a repost from the other thread

For those who must get mechanical setup perfect - photos for how to get zero pitch at exactly 50% pitch output, at zero trim/subtrim.

Before starting, ensure all trims and sub trims are zero.

1. First thing you want to do is hover close to the ground - make it nice and steady, then slowly lower it down till it touches the ground, then zero the throttle and set throttle hold. Why - so that the FBL has had time to stabilise to neutral.

aside...Ever had one of those takeoffs where it just wants to flip over to one side? That's the FBL for you - if you've handled it before spool up, the FBL tries to compensate by adjusting the swash. Because it detects no more movement, it "thinks" that it's current setting is correct, so it keeps it there, which could be a crazy left/right cyclic position. If you spool up to take off speed fast enough, it won't have time to compensate and it'll tip over.

2. Setup pitch curve to be something like this:

This ensures exactly exactly 50% pitch is output when your throttle stick is anywhere near 50%.

3. Set your throttle at 50% position. What you're hoping for is that since pitch is exactly 50%, you'll get a neutral or 0deg blade pitch.

4. Without disturbing the orientation of the heli, rotate the blades on the blade grip all the way. You might end up something like this, clearly showing that the blade grips are not at 0degs:

5. What you need to do is adjust all three servo ball links by the same amount, ie, rotating the link CW or ACW direction by the same amounts for all three. Effectively, you're shortening or lengthening the links on all three servos by the same amount, resulting in moving the swash plate down or up evenly.

6. Once you're done with your adjustments, pop the links back on and check. Rinse and repeat, until you get something like this:

It doesn't look as straight cos I didn't rotate both blades by the same amount so my bad. But, if viewed from the side, the blade tips, and blade holders form a perfectly straight line which you can use a plain old ruler to check.

Well, that's it.

Max pitch one way should be (almost) exactly the same as the other way, and you test that by max and min throttle stick positions. You'll get something like this:

and the other way...

Congratulations - you have done the best you can to get perfect mechanical swash setup for 3d.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 06:07 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Wouldn't it be better to swing the blades so that they are parallel to each other? Zero degrees would be easy to determine and if you rotate the blades around with the main gear you can see just how level the swash is. Then you can also measure the distance between the blades to determine the pitch and if it is the same +/-.

I was hoping there was a special mode that tells the RX to turn off the gyros for adjustments. I also thought there was a special mode for calibrating the blade tracking?

Good writeup, Don
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Old Mar 09, 2011, 06:14 PM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
JR 11x Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Guy View Post
how about some radio setups for BNF?
Cable guy, when I get home I'll post pics directly from my Tx.

On the 11x, being able to add custom pitch and throttle curve points is great, because this heli hovers with very little pitch.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 06:20 PM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
Wouldn't it be better to swing the blades so that they are parallel to each other? Zero degrees would be easy to determine and if you rotate the blades around with the main gear you can see just how level the swash is. Then you can also measure the distance between the blades to determine the pitch and if it is the same +/-.

I was hoping there was a special mode that tells the RX to turn off the gyros for adjustments. I also thought there was a special mode for calibrating the blade tracking?

Good writeup, Don
Yep - parallel blades would certainly make it even more mechanically precise (which is more precise than precision from measurement!!).

Unfortunately, it seems we can't adjust or turn off any of the gyro settings.

For me, how i checked tracking was to secure the heli on the ground so it couldn't move in any direction, then spooled up. That way the gyros won't kick in due to slight movements..
Old Mar 09, 2011, 06:22 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchelijc View Post
Cable guy, when I get home I'll post pics directly from my Tx.

On the 11x, being able to add custom pitch and throttle curve points is great, because this heli hovers with very little pitch.
in american: awesome man thanks!

in aussie: good show mate!
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:47 PM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
rchelijc - Would you mind giving us you complete setup with this radio? I am getting one very soon and would like to set up my JR PCM 9XII (with speKtrum module) ready to go on arrival.
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:54 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,376 Posts
Quote:
I was hoping there was a special mode that tells the RX to turn off the gyros for adjustments.
I think someone said the gyros did nothing while the throttle was off?

Does the swashplate move if you tip the heli with the motor stopped?