Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:55 PM
Joined Jan 2011
120 Posts
Discussion
How do i reinforce/re-attatch foam ailerons/elevator/rudders?

So Ive gotten quite a few foamies recently. Well with some crashes and just general wear ans tear some of my ailerons/elevators have either dome completely off or the foam hinge is starting to separate.

So whats the best way to re attach/ reinforce these? CA/Epoxy will make then stiff and unusable and not exactly sure how Id use tape to still get them to work properly. im sure some of you guys have better ideas. Thanks!

Edit: I reposted this in the beginners area as I wasn't sure if this was the right forum for this type of question.
kola is offline Find More Posts by kola
Last edited by kola; Mar 08, 2011 at 10:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2011, 11:24 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Just as a future reference, it's best to post your question only in one forum. It's considered cross posting when you post your question in multiple forums
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 08, 2011, 11:47 PM
Joined Jan 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Just as a future reference, it's best to post your question only in one forum. It's considered cross posting when you post your question in multiple forums
Yeah thats why I edited cause I knew this was the wrong forum so hope the mods delete this. And thanks for you help
kola is offline Find More Posts by kola
Old Mar 09, 2011, 06:21 AM
Norway
Joined Feb 2010
602 Posts
There are two main ways to tape on control surfaces. You can do a straight line of tape all along the hinge line, or you can do the more advanced over/under method. This is particularly useful if your hinge lines are not flat on one side.

Look at the picture in post number six here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676884
The last part shows three of those tape pieces next to each other if that was not clear.
meshyx is offline Find More Posts by meshyx
Old Mar 09, 2011, 01:50 PM
Monaco
Joined Dec 2006
121 Posts
I like to cut slits in the control surface and the flying surface and then insert a plastic pinned hinge. When I am happy with the fit of the hinge, I remove it and then drill some small holes all the way through the foam where the hinge will be. I put the hinge back and then drop some medium CA on the hole and then put a dab of kicker to get the CA to set fast and hard. Keep the hinge pin above the hole to keep the hinge line free of CA.

I have repaired totally detached ailerons on my Gemini after a heavy crash
EuroDriver is offline Find More Posts by EuroDriver