SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:00 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Question
Proper Aurora 9 Lipo Discharge

I've been searching for answer to this on these forums all day and havne't found it. If I want to use a 2S lipo, is it okay to use a battery with a 20C rating? I can't find a TX pack that's 2S that's low discharge like I have on one of my airtronics. Does anyone have direct experience with this and/or can give me a definitive answer.

Thanks
chriscap is offline Find More Posts by chriscap
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Jan 2004
172 Posts
You can use a 20C...30C...45C...etc. The higher C rating will no harm anything...just means that the battery has the capability to withstand higher amp draw. It will not discharge faster. Hope that is what you were referring to.
mtnlvr is offline Find More Posts by mtnlvr
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:40 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
That is what I was referring to. I was thinking it didn't matter because the Tx will pull what it needs just like a power system.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 11:26 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscap View Post
I've been searching for answer to this on these forums all day and havne't found it. If I want to use a 2S lipo, is it okay to use a battery with a 20C rating? I can't find a TX pack that's 2S that's low discharge like I have on one of my airtronics. Does anyone have direct experience with this and/or can give me a definitive answer.
Thanks
The lower the "C" rating, the longer lasting and better for transmitters.
A good guide :
TX Lipo Battery Review - By Mike Llewellyn
more at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

(quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 11:32 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,528 Posts
But at $8 for 20C..if they last 2 years I'll get more!
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Mar 09, 2011, 01:04 AM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
I read the review of the poweredge batteries. I'm sure they're very nice, but they have extremely low "C" ratings. If that's the case, why are they $30. Usually you pay MORE for a higher C rating. Plus it's only 2 cells. If it's not going to harm my radio, I just assume buy a 20C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
The lower the "C" rating, the longer lasting and better for transmitters.
A good guide :
TX Lipo Battery Review - By Mike Llewellyn
more at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

(quick search = Ctrl+F)
Old Mar 10, 2011, 05:50 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,478 Posts
Chris, the PowerEdge TX lipo's arae designed to be used in a TX where the draw off the battery is low. These cells can handle being fully charged for long periods of time in comparison a lipo for powering an aircraft. Regular lipos should not be used in a TX or in a RX application and left charged as they will deteriorate which causes the cells to increase in IR and generate heat. When heat is generated, this is what causes a puff.
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:28 AM
Get up, Get the shot, Get back
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
521 Posts
Chris,

I have a 20c, 2200 in my A9. It works great. In about a week of heavy use, it might go down to 80% of full. When it gets to 7v, in a month, start thinking about charging it. With a lipo, you'll always have some reserve power in there, too.
Picked up some Hitec tx conns. on Ebay for a buck apiece. I like
all-battery.com a lot. Good deals there, mine was 20 bucks.
T.
hdtvtom is offline Find More Posts by hdtvtom
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:54 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Thanks for all the input