HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:47 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,553 Posts
Discussion
didn't someone build and fly a Coro Delta with small diesel engine

Didn't someone build and fly a coroplast delta plane with a small diesel engine on it? I looked but couldn't find it anywhere. He had posted some pics and some videos of running the engine and flying the plane.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:12 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,553 Posts
I found it.
it was Glue_Gun who built and flies a simple Delta plane. he has run a number of different engines on them as well.
ref: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1402520&page=2
The wingspan of the .09 diesel powered delta was 16 inches and 16 inches in length.
Thanks Glue_Gun.

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:18 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
Sorry no one could help out Earl, but glad you found what you were looking for!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old May 21, 2011, 11:56 PM
Somerset Pa
Joined Dec 2009
176 Posts
I like that one, I wonder how well it would fly glow powewred?
Jaspur_x is offline Find More Posts by Jaspur_x
Old May 22, 2011, 07:55 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,553 Posts
The last picture has one with a OS 40LA glow engine on it. Glue_Gun was using it to experiment with alternate fuels for a glow engine.
The plane has to work fairly well as Glue_Gun doesn't use the throttle on the carb, he wired it in the WOT position. But then it is coroplast, if it had a problem one could simply crash it, preferably as gentle as possible to minimize damaging the radio/servos or engine.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2011, 11:11 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Sep 2009
1,097 Posts
It flew very well until one day there was some interference and it crashed. Was still flyable. However I trimmed it down and it is now powered by an AP .09 with the throttle wired wide open.

Who needs a throttle anyway? Just more weight.

Actually the engine is only a .25. I can't imagine flying coro delta with a .40 wired wide open.

Actually it sounds like fun.

Yes I did use it to experiment with alternative fuels. In fact the 2 AA batteries under the lipo powered the glow plug constantly so I could run a gas/oil mix.

Worked with that fuel, but ran hotter, had less power and was difficult to tune just right.
Glue Gun is offline Find More Posts by Glue Gun
Old May 23, 2011, 11:14 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Sep 2009
1,097 Posts
Here is the diesel delta flying:

Backyard Flying (6 min 16 sec)
Old May 24, 2011, 11:23 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,553 Posts
Cool. Thanks for sharing.
I have thought about trimming a little off of my pizza Box Flyer myself and turn it into a delta like plane. but they are so easy to build that I might as well just build one. I want to run a .09 diesel on the delta instead of a glow engine though. I had a couple of .09 Elfin diesel engine replicas, but neither one works, I think i need to fix the contra pistons on them. So I have been procrastinating so far.
I have a old Fox .25 RC engine on the PBF. the landing gear is for starting and landings as I hand launch it.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2011, 02:19 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Sep 2009
1,097 Posts
That PBF is pretty sick.

The yellow and orange are a good combo.

Is the spine on the bottom?

Are those standard servos?

Cutting the corners off and making a "delta" greatly improves its forward flight and speed. However it will reduce it's ability to hover and 3D. Personally I like being able to get it moving instead of doing a bunch of nose up flight.

How is the Fox .25? Plenty of power?
Old May 24, 2011, 04:11 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,553 Posts
Yeah the spine is on the bottom, for easy hand launching.
I think if I get tired of having it hover around flying real slow, I might convert it to a delta like yours.
I used 12 gram or 17 gram servos. They are more rugged for use with a glow engine.
Yeah the old Fox .25 is fine for my flying style, It isn't like you need lots of power, as you fly around at 1/2 throttle or less most of the time and you only punch from time to time to climb out fast.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2011, 10:02 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Sep 2009
1,097 Posts
Neat.

I prefer the spine on top for a nice underhand toss.

You inspired me to build another square PBF. Just finished it. I'll see how it flys tomorrow morning.

I'm thinking about getting a Fox .25 to go along with my .40. Yes I am in a Fox phase. They are great engines.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:10 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,553 Posts
Cool, you are faster than me at building these things.
I had forgotten that I have a MVVS 1.5cc diesel engine and a Enya 11CXD diesel engine. So I need to whip up a little delta now too. No throttles on these suckers either. But if time permits, i want to see if I can fix the two Elfin .09 replicas I have that don't work.

I am running a really old Fox .25 engine on mine,
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 11:35 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Sep 2009
1,097 Posts
The Enya diesel should make a really good flying diesel delta. You should start a build thread or something in this forum.

I was also thinking you could make a diesel delta with your .40 LA conversion, but I have a feeling the large prop might torque the plane too much and cause a turning problem.

Nice looking Fox. I like the motor mount. Really clean. Are those yard sticks?

I've heard that the latest Fox .25 R/C is a real screamer.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:37 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Sep 2009
1,097 Posts
Almost forgot. My pbf flew great. Although I went ahead and cut the corners a bit.

I can build them fast because I have a spad boneyard in the basement.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:00 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,553 Posts
When I was at Home depot, I bought some wider 3/8 inch thick hardwood strips along with the 3/8 inch square woodstrips used as the spine. I cut off two shorter pieces and glue it to the spine which is two 3/8 inch square strips glued together. I actually used titebond or elmer's glue to glue together the wood. After the glue dries I cut out the inside to fit the engine. After drilling the holes for the engine, I coat the engine mount area with epoxy to fuel proof it. The two engine mount wood pieces extend back a few inches so I can screw the engine mount and spine to the corroplast panel. I used two 3/8 inch strips glued together for the spine. That way the spine doesn't crack or split from running some screws and bolts for the vertical stab easily. I used used some long 1/4x20 screws to hold the vertical stab on with. A fair number of sheet metal screws is used to mount the spine to the coroplast. I used double sided sticky foam tape to mount the servos and then I used some nylon ties to ensure they don't come loose on me later. The battery pack is tied on underneath below the fuel tank. I don't bother with a on/off switch, I just plug the battery into the receiver when ready to fly. The black square shown in the pic is some velcro used to tie down the servo wires so it looks a little more neat.
I cut one side of the coroplast, along a flute, and use the coroplast as the hinges for the elevons and rudder.

Hey that is a good idea for the OS 40LA engine a bigger sized delta plane.

Yeah the new Fox .25 BBRC's are schnuerle ported and have large carbs on them as well. The upper cylinder casting can be rotated so that you can make a rear exhaust or even have the exhaust on the opposite side too. yes they are very powerful and run just as good as any of the other modern .25 BBRC engines. The current Fox engines have the new Fox carbs on them versus the older two needle design.

The current Fox .25BBRC engines have the new Fox Carb on them.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; May 27, 2011 at 08:26 AM.