SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:17 AM
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Feb 2011
123 Posts
Discussion
Oh Oh, My First New Thread Post

Must be getting hooked. Anyway, I am moving up from a S1007 to a, as of not yet delivered, Solo Pro. I decided to resurrect my old Real Flight G2 simulator that I have from my old fixed wing days. That simulator was inadvertently removed from my computer sometime in the past after a virus fix, but I still have the CD and my USB InterLink Controller. I have not been able to load the simulator back onto my computer so I downloaded one of the free ones I found out about here, HeliSimRC. I was able to calibrate my controller with no problem and the simulator seems to be working pretty darn well for a free program. I have a couple of days of crashing under my belt with the sim and the learning curve is somewhat flat. I am making some progress, maybe enough to hover in a huge field with my Solo Pro while I fight air movement. Are there any posts here that can help with simulator learning, avoiding bad habits, possibly learning control procedures in the correct order? Or is it just a matter of putting in the practice time. Why would this be any different, no? But still, I sure would like to avoid any new bad habits, above what I have already picked up flying my S107.

Am I wasting my time with HeliSimRC? Should I bite the bullet and go with Phoenix? If so, will my G2 controller work with Phoenix? I could save a few bucks if I can buy just the CD.
andouille is offline Find More Posts by andouille
Last edited by andouille; Mar 08, 2011 at 01:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2011, 03:17 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
You need a real radio to do Phoenix - it needs a trainer port. HeliSim is ok, but Heli-X is much better and it will work with your Interlink. There is plenty of comment available on how to use a simulator, and some of us offer online training with it as well.

http://jazzyflight.blogspot.com/2008...simulator.html

Helicopter Flight Training Lesson 1 (9 min 51 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:14 PM
Joined Feb 2011
123 Posts
Thanks so much, I will check out Heli-X.

Already learned something new. I wave been wondering what nose in hover means, now I know
Last edited by andouille; Mar 08, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:51 PM
Joined Feb 2011
123 Posts
So the Solo Pro has is turning out to be a great step in the direction of more maneuverable helis. I think I underestimated how effective the balance bar is in making the move to single rotor less of a big step up from coaxials. Anyway the time on the simulator has been a huge help in retraining my brain to mode 2 tx stick orientation and my first day of flying the little 9 Eagle Solo was a huge success. I am stoked with my little success and looking forward to more outside flight time.