HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:47 AM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
Century EVO 180 SE

I've just got one of the new Century EVO 180 SE flybarless helis and while it flies great I can't get any forward motion out of it when I use it outdoors. I'm flying in pretty good conditions with hardly any wind but when I try to fly forwards the head comes up and it goes backwards, then it dips and recovers. I'm pretty new to this so any suggestions ?
DTO666 is offline Find More Posts by DTO666
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:05 PM
Joined Dec 2007
845 Posts
First, any fixed pitch heli of that size will not be able to overcome much wind at all (almost non, a light breeze at best).

I do not have the SE FBL version, the one I have is the standard flybared version and it is fairly good (the best fixed pitch mini I have ever owned) at handling breezes, but even then, it is very slow upwind and takes a bit of stick movement to get it to come back upwind.

But maybe your issue is settings of the FBL unit.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:42 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
You need to turn down the stabilization on the gyro.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 09, 2011, 03:15 AM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
Thanks for the replies gents, I suspected that it might be a "breeze" issue, but I'll adjust the gyro settings slightly to see if that improves things.
DTO666 is offline Find More Posts by DTO666
Old Apr 24, 2011, 06:11 AM
UK, Greater Manchester, Manchester
Joined Jan 2011
8 Posts
Evo 180 se - gyro 'freak-out'

Just adding my two cents worth.

My 180 SE flies really stable during a hover but has issues the minute you try and actually move it around. More accurately, if you fly some forward flight and then try and slow down to a stop it develops what I call a death wobble, where the heli seems to be having its own internal battle to stabilise the EVO 180 SE.

I attempted to lower the gyro on the ailerons and elevator settings but this did not seem to have a positive result. My understanding is that the computer in the gyro brain in the helicopter is trying too hard to correct everything for me. I first notice that it might be a little too sensitive when I tried to slow down by raising the nose a fraction, but the heli went into an almost vertical, tail down pushing against a vertical wall full stop attitude, and with a few wobbles, and because I was fairly high, slid backwards into stable flight.

I like the heli a lot but find this over active correction is catching me off guard a little and would like to hear anyones advice as to which pots of the receiver to be turning, and which way, to actually allow me to fly the heli not constantly fight and be frightened by the gyro brain...
bigcontainer is offline Find More Posts by bigcontainer
Old Apr 24, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,685 Posts
Give CenturyUK a shout, they should be able to help you in short order.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Apr 25, 2011, 01:33 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,325 Posts
The first thing you must do is to turn up the servo extent ffor the ele/ail on your receiver to the maximum. You need this in order to fly outdoors in mild to moderate wind conditions. You should now have much control available for fast forward flight. As far as the buckling up is concerned, it is a well known problem with this heli. You could try upping the gyro sensitivity for the elev a bit. But it may not be able solve the problem completely. You just have to compensate for this manually as you fly. But I can tell you that my Trex 250 was flying much worse than this before I installed a FBL system.

The heli is the same as the V200D01 or Exceed Classima. You can search for threads on these models here.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw