HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2011, 12:37 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Jan 2004
208 Posts
Discussion
GPS Triangle Racing at JR Aero Tow

I am proud to announce that pilots at the JR Aero Tow will again have an opportunity to try GPS Triangle Racing. The event is scheduled for June 2 - 5 at Piatt County Airport in beautiful Monticello, Il. Here is the thread with details of the overall event - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1365746

Etienne Dorig from Icare will be there with the Sky Navigator hardware and I will have several of the units that I am developing. If there is anyone else developing the hardware, they are invited to participate as well. Len Buffington will be helping with the organization. We will loan you the hardware and assist you in flying the course. By June, there should be several other people with experience that can also help. We will be keeping score and whoever has the best flight of the week will win a very deserving prize.

The flights will take place alongside the normal activities of the aero tow. This worked well last year and has worked well for me so far this year. If we can get enough interest we may have a fly-off with all the top scorers flying at the same time, just like the Euro Cup competitions.

We may also have a special time for a speed round. This task consists of flying 1 lap as fast as possible. Since we don't really want to interfere with the normal operations, this round would most likely happen early in the morning or late in the evening when no one else is flying. Or it could be done on a day when the weather is a bit marginal for normal operations.

The whole idea is for anyone who might be interested to come out and try it. A 4 day event like the JR Aero Tow is the perfect time to try this. I guarantee that after you fly the task the first time, you will want to do it again after you have had a chance to think about how you did. (I always think of half a dozen things I could have done better.) You will be able to fly the course as many times as you like, provided the equipment is available. If there is a large demand, we will create a sign up sheet where you can sign up to get the equipment (and help) at a certain time during the day.

For this event there will not be any restrictions on what type or size of sailplane you fly. (Unless a dedicated XC ship or Len's 10 m Nimbus has just too much of a competitive advantage) So bring whatever you have that can be aero towed and join us for a fun and educational event.

Rick
rshelby is offline Find More Posts by rshelby
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:58 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Looks like I'll be coming out to play Rick...

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:25 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,397 Posts
Count me in as well,

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:48 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Jan 2004
208 Posts
Excellent, guys. I look forward to seeing you there. I especially look forward to watching Mike Smith do a speed lap with his CS all carbon, MH32 airfoiled DG800. That should be spectacular. Hey Mike, we might have to make several practice runs.

I have finally created a hardware system that works well and will be doing a small production run soon. You can see all the details over in the Cross Country section.

Scott Marnoch used the new hardware in his Multiplex Cularis this past Saturday at Visalia. He did 6 or 7 flights on the course. It was cold and cloudy (and eventually rainy) but he was able to make between 2 and 4 laps each time. We created a 300 meter course for this smaller glider as it makes it easier to see all the way around the course. We can do that at JR also. The course can be 300, 400, or 500 meters to each pylon. So you don't have to have a big, fancy model to play.

Rick
rshelby is offline Find More Posts by rshelby
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:24 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,113 Posts
Count me and the 6 meter HKM Nimbus in on the fun!
tom
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:13 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Cool Rick. Sounds great. Keep me informed about your schedule. I have to install my new 11X in the DG, and since we will be working on the new house and moving in the next 4 weeks, getting away in the short term could be problematic. But let me know just that same. You never know, I might be able to slip away for a while.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B