HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by KFC, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:11 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,612 Posts
Build Log
Aerial camera/FPV rig

So I've decided to join the outlaw band of FPV in my own fashion and am hoping to have a rig ready in time for SEFF.

Rather than a normal 'FPV' setup, what I really want to do is make an aerial camera system that can be 'aimed' accurately in real time. I have a ContourHD camera that I will mount on a pan/tilt system along with the FPV camera and VTx. The pan/tilt system will be controlled by separate receiver/transmitter from the ground.

I am going to build this around a 72" flying wing design with a 375W counter-rotating motor system that I've had lying around the shop for a while. I am also planning on adding some very unique features to this wing which I will post about as I go.

In the meantime, I have started putting together a ground station and gathering parts for the aircraft that will carry said cameras. More complete details to follow.
KFC is online now Find More Posts by KFC
Last edited by KFC; Mar 09, 2011 at 10:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2011, 11:04 AM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
681 Posts
That is a nice box, but unless you are a midget, you will need that screen much higher then that, plus you know, you will need some sort of a sunshade around it to be able to see it in full sunlight. I am arranging something similar for my video plane, not full FPV, but only have a 7" screen, may incorporate my laptop also but all filming and pictures will be captured at plane level not at the ground station. GPS would be nice too just in case of flyaway or crash. I keep trying the flying wings but I am not happy with the constant rocking and pitching to make a turn, not helping in steady video, I keep going back to my twin motor Easy glider pro, very steady, good in moderate winds. But I do have another wing on my bench to try again.
Dan
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Last edited by ddruck; Mar 08, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:53 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
That is a nice box, but unless you are a midget, you will need that screen much higher then that, plus you know, you will need some sort of a sunshade around it to be able to see it in full sunlight. I am arranging something similar for my video plane, not full FPV, but only have a 7" screen, may incorporate my laptop also but all filming and pictures will be captured at plane level not at the ground station. GPS would be nice too just in case of flyaway or crash. I keep trying the flying wings but I am not happy with the constant rocking and pitching to make a turn, not helping in steady video, I keep going back to my twin motor Easy glider pro, very steady, good in moderate winds. But I do have another wing on my bench to try again.
Dan
I know it isn't much yet, but I am planning on adding to it as I go. Eventually I plan on having the goggles, OSD, ground station, patch antenna, etc. This offers me a starting point that I can expand from. The box is just a convenient way to transport all the associated gear. I think the screen will be ok if the viewer is sitting in front of it rather than standing.

As far as the wing goes, I've been adapting my current wing design to all sorts of uses and it has proven to be a nice stable platform. I am examining the possibilities for gyrostabilizing the plane using a 3 axis flybarless controller and I think I may have a way to make it work. Time will tell. For the time being, I plan on starting modestly and working my way up.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:50 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
681 Posts
Well if that 12' thing you fly is modest then yes
I am testing the fy-20A stabilization system on a Stryker, very promising, have a look at that one, way better then copilot.
And try the tv without cover in the sun, you will see nothing, trust me, I know the hard way. Just take your laptop outside in the sun, you will know what I mean. have fun,
Dan
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Last edited by ddruck; Mar 10, 2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:12 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,612 Posts
I got my pan/tilt rig in yesterday and mounted it on the servos. I've got the wing panels built up, but not yet fully assembled. I'm waiting on parts from HK to finish things up. I have no doubt that I will tear down and rebuild the airframe several times before I get everything set up just right, but for the moment, this will be a nice, stable platform to work from.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:51 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,612 Posts
Got my FPV stuff in from HK yesterday, so I'm hard at work getting it rigged up and installed.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:29 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,612 Posts
Getting the rig assembled

I finally got my parts in and I have started to assemble the plane. I'm using the basing format from my 60" wing with modifications for additional strength, and allowances for my experimental yaw induction system.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:22 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,612 Posts
Getting close

I'm getting closer. It looks like I will have this one ready in time for SEFF this year. The only problem I've encountered so far has been the motor. During a brief test run some of the magnets came unglued and a couple of them were broken. Fortunately, I had another one of these motors that was broken to begin with and was able to remove the magnets from that. I've got some Loctite 410 adhesive on the way and as soon as it gets here I will secure the magnets properly.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 07:39 PM
Crash2fly
New Zealand, Northland
Joined Jun 2013
27 Posts
Do you have any more updates?? Interested to see your ground station now - couple of years on!
rcnoel is offline Find More Posts by rcnoel
Old Jul 15, 2013, 09:12 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,612 Posts
Right now the whole thing is completely disassembled. I'm going to try and put it together again over the next week or two.