Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:23 PM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
OK guys, I've decided to sell off a good share of my existing collection. Why? because I want to free up some funds to collect some different engines. I want to allow my friends here that first opportunity. Take a look at my blog and if you see something you are interested in, PM me and I'll let you know how much. I'll save you some trouble. Don't ask about any of the 4-cycles, the K6 or the Drone.
PM Sent for the the Atwood Wasp .049
~SnApRoLl is offline Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:45 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
I may have mentioned it before, but to get that W-M .049 to run, I used a 7-3 Power Prop for flywheel effect, Fox "Blast" (40+% Nitro?) and a Walker Balloon tank. When the tank went dry, the prop coasted to a halt. Wore it out in one run.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:51 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Nice looking props !
https://cs206.xbit.jp/~w041133/store...roducts_id=495
Anyone tried 'em ?
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:08 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,708 Posts
I didn't know Parra made props too. He doesn't mention it on his website.
http://www.clubtamaran.com/parramotorING.htm
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:48 AM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,494 Posts
I know it's not exactly vintage, but I thought you guys might want to see a picture of my New In Box Never Opened Cox 50th Anniversary Pitt's Bipe with a Pee Wee .020

Shawn
~SnApRoLl is offline Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:00 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,708 Posts
I went diving into my storage shed and dug out my old Sig Kadet Senior so I could try out a Drone Diesel RC engine on it. The plane was last flown with a OS FS-60 open rocker engine. In checking out the engine, I'll need to replace the crankshaft bearings, but other than that it looks OK. But I'll know for sure after I take it apart to replace the bearings.

One thought is I was able to get a picture of the glow plug hole on a OS four stroke engine, and you can see the recessed step inside where they do not thread the hole all the way through. The glow plug has a smaller diameter unthreaded tip that fits into the unthreaded step at the bottom of the hole. So you need to be extra careful and only use glow plugs designed for this, such as the OS F glow plug or a Fox Miracle glow plug. Using a regular LONG glow plug will bottom out prematurely leading one to overtighten the glow plug and strip out the threads on the engine head.

Dusting off the old Sig Kadet Senior after being hangared for many years.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jul 12, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:25 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Freshly stolen from eBay UK comes this little Wen-Mac in its box, and a 44cc Ross V-4. Have not seen the latter before - anybody know anything about it ? BOB
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:22 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,708 Posts
Wow, I didn't even know that Ross made a V-4. Is this the same Ross that made multiple cylinder engines here in the USA or a different Ross company in the UK or Europe?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Wow, I didn't even know that Ross made a V-4. Is this the same Ross that made multiple cylinder engines here in the USA or a different Ross company in the UK or Europe?
I'm hoping Danny or Reggy will know ! BOB
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:16 AM
Double Naught Spy
USA, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Nice Wen Mac Bob. I really like the box.
The V-4 is awesome. Sorry, but its the first I've seen so can't offer anything conclusive.
Lou Ross made a lot of multi cylinder engines. The multi carb set up and the front housing design on your V-4 is very similar to those on his engines. I don't recall any of his engines having squared off cylinders.
iamplanecrazy2 is offline Find More Posts by iamplanecrazy2
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:35 AM
Double Naught Spy
USA, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Keilcraft Cobra 049

This is a Keilkraft Cobra 049. The piston & cylinder looks like they are Cox parts but close examination reveals that they are not. Glow heads are so exact it is impossible to tell if they are original Cox parts or not. Adrian Duncan wrote a great article on this engine:
http://modelenginenews.org/ad/kkcobra.html
I looked long and hard to find this one.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:41 PM
Double Naught Spy
USA, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
McCoy 196 Twin

This engine was built by builder/collector George Hellmer.
I started a thread about it earlier this year but thought I'd post again here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1369350
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:00 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,168 Posts
Earl, nice kadet! I like the engine pics too. It had an honest patina.
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:17 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasClouds View Post
Earl, nice kadet! I like the engine pics too. It had an honest patina.
Thanks.
My old Sig Kadet senior has quite a few hours on it. When I first built it circa 1989, I used a Astro Flight geared .40 motor and used three 1200mah nicad packs in series for power. I flew it as a camera platform using a retract servo to operate a auto-wind 35mm camera on it. One day I pushed my luck with the battery pack a little too far, and it ran out of power as I was trying to clear some power lines and the plane snag a line and stalled, falling to the ground and crashed. I had to send the motor off to be fixed, so i flew it with a old Fox .40 engine for a while. Then back to electric when the motor came back fixed. Later I stopped using it for taking pictures and put the old OS FS-60 engine on it. the Fs-60 engine is actually too mcuh power for the plane, as I only need like 1/2 throttle to take off and 1/4 throttle to cruise around. After flying it that way for a while I eventually hangared the plane for many years. the Sig Senior Kadet flies nice and slow and tends to crash slow too. So it is easy to fix if you have a crash (granted I am sure there are exceptions). Now the ARF versions are much heavier though and I see guys flying them with .60 2 stroke engines all the time. but the old kit version builds up light and flies more like a glider or early free flight plane does.

Some pics from the flying field one day back in circa 1989:

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jul 13, 2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:50 PM
Double Naught Spy
USA, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
That camera took nice photos Earl. Do you have any images of the camera set up? I've been wanting to get one of the video systems that are available today. Have passed on a couple I've seen at swapmeets and regret it. I have a Kadet Senior nearly framed up from a kit. Started it years ago as something to do following back surgery but never finished it. One of these days I'll have to get back to work on it.