HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:22 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,706 Posts
Maybe not so rare, but I had been looking for these two for a while.
The 1959 Cox Space Hopper because I think it is one of the most elegant .049's ever, and the G-15 because I had two when I did tethered hydroplanes back in 1969-1970 and got quite a few first places with them. Of course, in 1970 appeared the piped Rossi 15, that is another story and a new era.
This is a genuine 1964 one, bought at the 1964 Dallas US Nationals. They were the best of the series, something to do with the batch of cast iron of that year. After using a later one, a friend gave me his 1964 one he had never used and the speeds did improve noticably. (we're talking of 193 km/h - 120 mph - with an airscrew driven boat). They are both in great shape, just with dried oil stains from 45 year+ storage. I got them today from another friend and they really made my day.
JMP_blackfoot is online now Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Jun 21, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
More FOX's - this time the Charlie Bruce / Larry Jenno remake 35, alongside a 1951 Permold original. BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:29 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Regarding the large Cox engines, while I believe the largest engine they put into production was .15 cu. in. (2,49 cc) I seem to remember a Cox collector site showing a number of prototypes for a .40 (6,5 cc?). The larger engine never made it into production. Pity.

Be cool if that giant Babe Bee could actually be run with a decent mufler.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:36 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,005 Posts
earlwb, the picture on Your post #900 that is Reggy showing his BIG COX (clone) engine.
danny.act is online now Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:06 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Check out the club newsletter here, where they go into detail on the giant scale Cox Baby Bee engine that someone made. The builder even made a muffler for it too.

http://www.lassogeier.de/print/data/lg93.pdf

http://www.kleinstdiesel.de/index.html
Here's a more recent picture of my 1/4 scale Cox along the standard size
both with exhausts
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jun 22, 2011, 06:57 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,136 Posts
Reginald, I thought that your giant scale Cox baby Bee engine is fantastic. That is just so neat.
Did you ever make a video of it being test run?
Thanks for the pics.

I would surmise that with a muffler/throttle sleeve on it, you could build a giant scale Airtronics Q-Tee to match. So maybe a 3 meter wingspan. But then we used to fly them without a throttle years ago.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jun 22, 2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:58 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,605 Posts
Well, it's not exactly a Cox engine now is it? It certainly is cool, however. Imagine how hard it would be to hold on to a CL model with that bolted on the nose....
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:04 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
There it is alright.... I still have no idea if the asking price for the 4 banger is too high. I suspect it's a bit up there. Maybe I should slide in a offer about 20% below that and see what happens.
Well, apperently someone made a better offer than I. Maybe they even payed his asking price. I guess that's how you find out what and engine like that is worth. Better luck next time, I suppose.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:56 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Well, it's not exactly a Cox engine now is it? It certainly is cool, however. Imagine how hard it would be to hold on to a CL model with that bolted on the nose....
Actually some guys have flown some really huge planes as control line models in the past. Big twins and 4 engine behemoths were seen now and then.

Here was how they did it way back in 1957 with the big ones. They used a double handled control handle.
Control line 4 engine bombers 1957 (1 min 41 sec)

Here is a more recent Cessna 310 twin, using two RCV .58 engines.
Control Line Top Flite Cessna 310 (3 min 5 sec)

well the rare prototypes of the Cox Conquest .40 engine (1976) show up once in a while on Ebay.
Apparently Cox had made a number of them, but never went into full production.
if I remember correctly many years ago, there was some AMA and of FAI rules about a engine couldn't be used in racing unless a minimum number of them were manufactured. So maybe Cox did just make a minimum number of the engines. Or as they were going out of business some parts slipped out the back door and were made into engines later.

Here is one http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Cox-Conques...-/130531157071
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jun 22, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:58 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
Earlwb, I just looked it up, and discovered that I missed scanning Page 30 (Scan p 4), or lost it somewhere along the way to setting up my files or something, not sure what.

Really messed up here, have to try to do these things early in the day. I had actually intended to upload to the Vintage Airplane Plans topic, not the Vintage Glow Engines.

Also going to try to get back to checking out some of my older mags. Looking for something else, I found a MAN review on what used to be a monster, the Forster .99.
That is OK, I am one of those rare people that actually like to read the articles. So that was how I noticed it.
Thanks
Earl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jun 22, 2011, 06:44 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
I remember about 1957-58, the son of a LHS owner built a profile CL model with 4 K&B .35s. He was a big guy, played Varsity football on both offensive and defensive guard. Luckily for him, he flew it for the first and last time after his senior season was over. He strained his back doing a wingover.

In 1966, while overseas, I spliced together a couple Sterling Profile P-51s to make a P-82. Powered by a pair of Fox Stunt .35s. Displacement wise, you'd think it'd be the rough equivalent of a .70. I think it was powerwise with the large prop disc area closer to a .90 or 1.00. I never flew it more than 2 or 3 times a day. Flyind on doubled 70'.021 lines, single Pylon brand handle, it really gave me a pretty good workout, especially vertical 8's and wingovers. Big mistake I made was using 4 ounce tanks, and filling them. And at the time, I was a lean, fit, 154 pound GI fighting machine. Unexpectedly manuverable, even though the tail moment was shorter than correct, and the plane was very nose heavy. Had to lean back while flying it.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:13 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,605 Posts
Geez 50 that sounds like a lot of work to fly. I guess I'm just a pansy RC flyer by comparison.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:18 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,605 Posts
Got to hold one of these not so long ago. It's not slightly vintage but it is very cool. It's the Wren 44 that Bergen sells with their Magnum 44. It certainly would make an interesting addition to any collection. To say it was well made would be an understatement.

<edit> Here are some better pictures.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
I am hopelessly addicted to collecting "thingamys" and gadgets, so here's a couple more. The little thing that looks a bit like a sight off an AA gun is a fuel shut-off valve. What's most interesting about it is, it was made by Lud Kading who formed half the K & B Company, along with John Brodbeck
(see - https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Kading-Lud.pdf ). The legendary Jim Walker made the neoprene pressure tank, and for newbies, these were used quite extensively in the early days of C/L stunt, along with rubber fountain pen bladders in Speed models, to ensure a constant pressure fuel feed. BOB
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:19 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
The Jim Walker pressure regulator -