HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:46 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,826 Posts
Looks the same Bob, I'm sure it would work. I can measure the ID on the nose cone.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:50 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Looks the same Bob, I'm sure it would work. I can measure the ID on the nose cone.

Bill
Bill, I actually have 2 throttles for a MERCO 29 Red Head, although one is incomplete (the spraybar is broken on the needle side). Both came off new engines, and the spigot measures 3/8 in. diameter & 15/32 in. long. PM me your snail mail address if you want 'em. BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Before R/C throttles were universally accepted, the most efficient way of throttling down a glow engine was to use some form of exhaust restrictor, and this one (usually fitted to a FOX 35) gave great fun on a C/L model. BOB
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:47 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
In 1963 or 64, I had a Fox .19 with that type of throttle built in to the exhaust stack I didn't have any kind of tach, but the idle sounded verry low. Also, it could hold that idle for as long as you wanted, and if the throttle escpement worked for me, it went to full open throttle without any sputterin or hesitation. I also think I had a Roto-Valve that didn't quite seem to properly fit any engine I had.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:49 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,136 Posts
50+AirYears; thanks for the articles on the old planes. Do you happen to have page four of the Debolt Twin Viscount or not?
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:38 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Mr. Wiz, you may recall that back in post #743, I told you to watch out for the early Merco's - read this (note the Buy It Now price) and weep ! BOB
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...52FZKRLQ4%253D
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:37 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,605 Posts
Of course..... I haven't been paying much attention to Ebay lately. Working 2 jobs at the computer makes me not want to spend much leisure time in front of one. I did score an HP 21 VT though. Been wanting of those for awhile. Now I need to get a the .25 and .49 to complete the set. I think getting and original .25 is going to be a little tough.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:26 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,136 Posts
Someone got lucky on that Merco .61. That was a nice find.

I was totally shocked to discover that someone wanted $249.00 for a Ace Littlest Kit, unopened. http://cgi.ebay.com/Ace-Littlest-Sti...item43a7cb59af

Now I have the kit myself and I was going to open it up and build the plane. I built several of these many years ago. They were great fun. Sort of like a loud gnat on steriods with a Cox Tee Dee .010 engine on the front. Now I don't know if I want to break it open to build now. It might be a huge collectors item or something. I paid like $8.85 for it years ago. The first one used a Mattel escapement single channel RC system. Later when they had micro servos (10 or 12 gram ones as compared to today), I built a flew a couple more. The last one I built and flew using a Cox Pee Wee .020.

I still have the fuselage for the Ace Littlest Stick with the Pee Wee .020 engine on it too. I don't know what happened to the wing but it probably was not good.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jun 20, 2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:40 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,605 Posts
$250 for a Littlest Stick..... sheesh. A guy could scratch one out for what, $25 worth of wood at the most?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Yep, some guys will pay Big Dollars for kits that only contain a couple of bucks worth of balsa, but that's because (I think anyway) its takes 'em back in time a bit. Everyone remembers where they were, and what they were doing when JFK got shot. A kit that you had as a kid takes you back to that happy time, and if its worth a few bucks to get there, then its money well spent ! Quite often, its just the kit box artwork itself - if the same contents were in a plain cardboard box with nothing written on it, it wouldn't have nearly the same attraction. I know I have a couple of English kits with brightly coloured, evocative labels which propel me back to the late 50's. BOB
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:15 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Earlwb, I just looked it up, and discovered that I missed scanning Page 30 (Scan p 4), or lost it somewhere along the way to setting up my files or something, not sure what.

Really messed up here, have to try to do these things early in the day. I had actually intended to upload to the Vintage Airplane Plans topic, not the Vintage Glow Engines.

Also going to try to get back to checking out some of my older mags. Looking for something else, I found a MAN review on what used to be a monster, the Forster .99.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:19 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,605 Posts
To each his own.... I still think $250 is pretty steep but if the guy's happy who am I to say he made a mistake.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:22 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,605 Posts
And for that matter he (Littlest Stick buyer) might think I'm a fool for buying this here little McCoy .19. I'm really enjoying collecting all these engines I never seen much less flown. I'm sure to some the McCoy .19 was as common as white bread.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:29 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Nice looking engine there Mr. Wiz. Say - does that alloy prop driver turn ?