HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:36 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,182 Posts
Yes, I agree, being a kid, we were impatient and wanted to get it running perfectly in no time at all. However, my first Cox model, my father gave to me in 1962, I was 15, It was the Piper Comanche with Sporstman .15 engine. I had it for several years and always worked fine.
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:55 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Edudarca,

Do you happen to know how treasured these are? Do you still have it?

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:59 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,182 Posts
Unfortunately, I sold my Comanche, you won't believe it, in 2001!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the most stupid thing I have ever done!! I have found out that this model is nowadays worth a fortune!!!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:51 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Sad tale to tell...I hope that you at least did decent on it! Please, please tell me you did...

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:28 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Well, Mr. Wiz has been showing us some of his purchases, so thought I may as well too. I didn't really need this, but the Buy It Now price of $125 made it too tempting to resist, especially as the Aussie Dollar is so strong (it equated to just AUD$118 ).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

The seller lists it as a 1959 Model, but according to the A.M.E.E., its a 1953 Model. Anybody know anything about, or got any info on the 23 ? BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:23 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
I've only had problems with 3 .049s. First was my first .049 and my first glow powered RTF, a Wen Mac Aeromite. Got the plane Christmas 1949 or 50, didn't get the engine to provide it's only run around 1957 or 1958. Later, I had a McCoy Red Head .049 that never even gave me a pop. I also had a Cox TD-1 (Plastic fuse, beautiful symetrical formed aluminum wing. Never got the Space Bug .049 to run. Most of my early .049 flying was with O. K. Cub and Babe Bee .049s. I currently I would have loved at one time to get one of the better .049s, but now, I have more engines than I know what to do with.have 35 .049s, most Cox, but also about 5 Cubs, 2 Wen Macs, and one Fox .049.

Also among what might be considered Vintage in my conglomeration includes a Cub .049 Diesel, OS Pet .09, several Cub .074 and .099s, K&B .09, McCoy RH .098, K&B .29R, Forster .29, an Atwood Triumph .49, K&B .61 RC With pump, Fox .07RC, .10RC, Fox Short Nose .59, and that's just a partial of my older engines. Also have a number of Pre-Testors McCoy .19 and .29s.

Used to have a Cobey (.12 or .15?) ignition engine coverted to glow, an O&R .23 sideport engine, an Arden .09 Glow (first glow engine on the market) and a Cub CO-2 motor. All rotting in a land fill. Had an original Tee Dee .010 that was a fly-away in 1964 on a single channel Rudder Only plane that had a radio outfit that was about 5 times the flying weight of the AR 6400 4 channel outfit in my Park Zone Micro P-51. One powerful motor
I'm trying to fit in some time
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:19 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpriddle View Post
Sad tale to tell...I hope that you at least did decent on it! Please, please tell me you did...

KP
To be fully honest, I wanted a Nikon camera and I exchanged it for it. A middle range camera, not too cheap, so it was a nice swap. However, items like a Nikon camera, are readily available. The Cox Comanche is like the "Mona Lisa" painting by Da Vinci, one of a kind, priceless!!!
Old Jun 17, 2011, 01:37 PM
Alexandria, VA
Joined Oct 2010
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Could I just say something here - as I write this, this thread has currently been going for 98 days and attracted 26,515 hits. The number of regular contributors (you know who you are - Thank You !) I could maybe count on the fingers of both hands. That tells me that there are a lot of guys who regularly tune in to this thread, but never contribute or post anything. There must be a huge pool of information and experiences out there,that we all want to hear about. All it takes is a coupla minutes to write something down, and press Submit Reply. Please think about it, as without a lot more participation and contributions, the thing could go pear shaped. BOB
Hey Twin-Stack, as one of those who regularly read this, let me offer a few thoughts. One, I'm not a collector! I never had any real $s as a kid, nor anywhere to fly, so I got into rubber scale - then in college, I got my first radio, and being still nearly impoverished, put it in a glider. Two, the few engines I have are pedestrian and not that old (except for two that I got from my father-in-law). I haven't run some of them (ever), or any of them in ages, and right now have no intention of doing so as I'm slowly working my way into electrics.
Three, even when I did use glow engines, I couldn't get them to run worth a damn - so I sure don't have knowledge to share (ha ha!). Now, I'd be that some of the other folks reading along are learning as much as I am, and also feel like they don't have much of anything to contribute, and probably never will be collectors (after all, we all have lots of things to spend on!). So maybe this is more like a tutorial than a discussion - it still has tremendous merit, and I'd like to think you all could keep on for as you like - there surely is an audience, as you observed.
DrZook
DrZook is offline Find More Posts by DrZook
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:07 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
I do have a pretty large number of glow engines (and a couple Diesel, 3 CO-2, and maye 11 Jetex reloadable rocket engines). I even have a compressed air motor.

I'm not a collector, more an accumulator. I've bought about half the engines over the counter at various LHSs, bought a number at swap shops and estate sales, got some in trades, some online, and have had people actually give me some, especially non-throttled control line engines.

I also fly hand launched and catapault launched gliders in competition (in competition, not competively), also tow line, rubber powered, glow powered Free Flight, Control Line, and RC.

I have a couple Aerotech reloadable 38 mm motors for composite fuel. Kind of want to get some of their smaller motors as well. Rocket powered RC is a BLAST!

I also have a number of Electric powered planes, and a number of separate electric motors for future projects. Maybe I'm just too old fashioned, or maybe I'm just to addicted to glow after using it over 60 years, but I'm not dumping any glow in the foreseeable future. But electric makes a nice addition to my Air Force. On a fixed retirement income, the cost of high Voltage, high capacity LiPo batteries in adequate numbers to meet my flying day schedule is just not justifiable, especially for say .25 glow equivalent or above, and especially to match say 6 or 7 consecutive 14-16 minute flights I might go for with a .40 to .60 sized plane. That amount of money could buy an awful lot of 10% glow fuel.
Last edited by 50+AirYears; Jun 17, 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:14 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,182 Posts
Electric motors, although convenient, are very, very confusing and very expensive. That's why I still stick to glow engines. Perhaps one day prices will come down and motor and battery selection will be a simple matter as choosing a glow engine. And no sound!! A P-38 Lightning sounds funny with an electric.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 04:35 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
I don't know about no sound. Two weeks ago at the local FAC contest, someone was flying a Stryker across the field, well over 500' away. The sound was very noticeable at our side of the field.

Some of us wished we'd had the club sound level meter available several years ago when we were helping a local College group ith thier competition weight lifter. Plane had an Astro .90 Cobalt. 100 Amp+ ESC, and a 16-8/10 carbon fiber prop. Most of us felt that at full throttle, it was at least as loud as a muffled .60 engine, if not louder, and also there was a very definite crackle of prop tips going transonic.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:18 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Last night, I watched an interesting rerun of Pawn Stars. They had someone bring in an old Scwinn bike-with an add-on engine. Apparently, the guys didn't consider the engine to have any value. A close-up showed the builder's plate, O&R-Ohlson and Rice. Most older enthusiasts out there should remember the name.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:46 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
I don't know about no sound. Two weeks ago at the local FAC contest, someone was flying a Stryker across the field, well over 500' away. The sound was very noticeable at our side of the field.

Some of us wished we'd had the club sound level meter available several years ago when we were helping a local College group ith thier competition weight lifter. Plane had an Astro .90 Cobalt. 100 Amp+ ESC, and a 16-8/10 carbon fiber prop. Most of us felt that at full throttle, it was at least as loud as a muffled .60 engine, if not louder, and also there was a very definite crackle of prop tips going transonic.
Perhaps I didn't made myself clear. By sound I mean that electrics don't have the roar that comes from a glow engine which I think is important in a scale model of any prop driven aircraft, especially those from WWI or WWII. Electrics simply have a whine which is not stimulating enough for a dive made with a P-38 or a Spitfire,
Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:39 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,813 Posts
wanted

Maybe you guys could check your stash, I need a carb for a Merco 35 Black Streak RC.
Please let me know if you have one you would like to part with.

Thanks Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Maybe you guys could check your stash, I need a carb for a Merco 35 Black Streak RC.
Please let me know if you have one you would like to part with.

Thanks Bill
Bill, is the one on the Red Head Merco's the same ? BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack