HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Could this be what happened to the ENYA 35 owned by 50+ ? Yep, that's a 57 Chevy all right.
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:51 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,572 Posts
I flew a couple of Enya .35's on a twin engine plane for several years. I tried to upgrade the plane a couple of times, but interestingly enough, the carbs would come loose on the other brand engines, and for some odd reason, the carbs would stay put on the Enyas. It was the screws holding the carbs in place that would come loose. The two Enya engines didn't have the same vibration resonance that the other engines had on the same plane.

Heck, I still have the Enya .35's still. But the plane wore out years ago.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:06 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
Well, I bought another.... I was going to wait this time to post it until I actually had it in my hands but like the little kid I am, I'm too excited to wait. This one is a bit unusual for me. I generally like to get them in excellent condition but Bob posted awhile back about getting one that looks it's age but is in good condition and I was intrigued so I jumped. I think it's pretty cool. Take a look. I'll refrain from posting any images until I get it and take them myself.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
What NOT to do with your McCoy 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Well, I bought another.... I was going to wait this time to post it until I actually had it in my hands but like the little kid I am, I'm too excited to wait. This one is a bit unusual for me. I generally like to get them in excellent condition but Bob posted awhile back about getting one that looks it's age but is in good condition and I was intrigued so I jumped. I think it's pretty cool. Take a look. I'll refrain from posting any images until I get it and take them myself.
Mr. Wiz, that looks to be quite a nice little 1948 McCoy 19 you have there. I myself had an identical one of those about a year ago, and therein lies a tale. I had purchased a group of engines and the McCoy 19 was amongst them. It was in quite good shape and turned over well, but had an old, broken wood propeller bolted on. It was a cold winters evening, and I was sitting by a nice warm wood fire playing with some engines (as you do), when I grabbed the McCoy and decided to trash the broken propeller. I unbolted the thing and hurled it straight into the blazing fire. Next day, I bolted a new prop on that little McCoy, but it wouldn't turn over no how (??!!??). Strange I thought - it turned over well last night ! Well, I fooled around with that thing for quite a while (cursing and swearing) until I discovered that the prop driver seemed to be seized and wouldn't turn. Aha! says I - problem solved ! With great strength and ingenuity, I finally got the "prop driver" to turn, but then the penny dropped. The thing I thought was the prop driver was just the alloy sleeve that was placed there at the factory to cover up where the timer was situated on the previous model (this being the very first McCoy 19 glow). What then happened to the original prop driver you ask ? Well, it being just a flat steel washer, I didn't notice that it was still attached to the prop when I hurled it into the fire. A week or so later, I cleaned the ashes out of the fire, and sifting through found (you guessed it) - 1 McCoy 19 prop drive washer slightly worse for wear. BOB
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:29 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
Oh geez, Bob..... That's a funny story. Fortunately for me, the fireplace in my house is a gas one with a glass front. I imagine I might have broken the glass with a prop washer if I didn't read that story of yours. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 01:22 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Thought I'd upload a few sheets I scanned into my computer. A kind of break from uploading plans.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jun 14, 2011, 01:51 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Sorry that at this point the file names only seem to show up when you move the cursor over each one.

Some might find this Model Engine Symposium interesting, all 8 pages of it. Had some problems setting some pages up on my scanner, so a few words are cut off. Also, many of these older mags were printed on some poor quality paper, and could powder under careful handling.

I was 2 years 10 months old when this mag came out.
Last edited by 50+AirYears; Jun 14, 2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:17 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
50+ , Thanks for all that stuff ! I haven't seen either the Veco test or the Model Engine Symposium before. I know what you mean about that old paper - it gets very brittle with age, don't it.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:34 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Funny thing is, I had a couple old MAN in publication sequence, one fell apart aboput 10 years ago, while the other is still in moderately decent shape. And they were kept together in the same box for the last 30 years.

Believe it or not, I actually have 2 little used Veco .35s.

This thread caused me some sad recollections. Things like reading the English publication test on the O. K. Cub .14, and just how much power it had for it's size. I had one, never run, some years ago. During a clean-up, prior to moving to my current house, a significant amount of materiel in the old house had o be pitched. I dumped the .14 and a couple .19s. I remembered just what a brute the .19 was, and also what a high pitched crackle it had when running. It was Loud, nearly to what I remember a Dyna-Jet was. Clubs in the area, including CL clubs, were starting to require mufflers on anything over .09 or .15. So, since the porting didn't lend itself to muffler installation, they had to go. About 15 engines total. Also probably close to 100 1950s and 1960s MAN, Flying Models, American Modelers, and others. Also old wood and early plastic propellors in odd sizes, like 8-91/2, 7-9, 6-7, 10-10. Didn't miss the plastics, I had a Cub .049 throw a blade from one of those old clear plastic props. The blade flew over 15' and stuck in the side of the neighbor's house. For years after that, I was almost afraid to use any of the newer plastic props, just thinking how much damage or injury a blade from a 10-6 on a hot .40 could do and how far it could fly.
Last edited by 50+AirYears; Jun 14, 2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:07 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
50... this thread is wonderful, isn't it? I don't have fond memories of half A engines myself. The only ones I had when I was a kid were the cheap Cox and Testors engines that came in CL planes they sold in the K-Mart store toy department. We always struggled twice as long getting them to run as we did flying them. These days I really like collecting some of the higher quality Half A engines from the past, like this one here that showed up on my doorstep today. It's and Atwood Wasp 049. Just look at it... I bet it would have flown the pants off those cheap K-mart motors of my youth.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:12 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Wow, what a beautiful engine, Mr. Whiz. That is purely stunning! I don't think that you needed to mention that you are a happy owner!

KP
kpriddle is online now Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:16 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
Yeah...KP, it really is a little beauty isn't it.... I'm smiling from ear to ear just typing this thank you.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:42 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
50... this thread is wonderful, isn't it? .................
Could I just say something here - as I write this, this thread has currently been going for 98 days and attracted 26,515 hits. The number of regular contributors (you know who you are - Thank You !) I could maybe count on the fingers of both hands. That tells me that there are a lot of guys who regularly tune in to this thread, but never contribute or post anything. There must be a huge pool of information and experiences out there,that we all want to hear about. All it takes is a coupla minutes to write something down, and press Submit Reply. Please think about it, as without a lot more participation and contributions, the thing could go pear shaped. BOB
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:53 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,251 Posts
Quote:
50... this thread is wonderful, isn't it? I don't have fond memories of half A engines myself. The only ones I had when I was a kid were the cheap Cox and Testors engines that came in CL planes they sold in the K-Mart store toy department. We always struggled twice as long getting them to run as we did flying them. These days I really like collecting some of the higher quality Half A engines from the past, like this one here that showed up on my doorstep today. It's and Atwood Wasp 049. Just look at it... I bet it would have flown the pants off those cheap K-mart motors of my youth.
Hello Mr. Whiz, that's a nice engine, no doubt. But with all due respect, I have to disagree with you when you state that the "cheap" Cox motors were hard to make them run properly. Cox engines, made by Roy Cox to the highest standards in the industry, were the finest IC engines ever made. Even compared to full size aircraft and car engines. He developed some fantastic manufacturing techniques that made them unique: extremely easy to handle, easy to start, no break in, extremely powerful (His TeeDee .09 was always considered the most powerful .09 (1.5 cc) engine ever made) cheap and extremely durable. Testors engines are another story. They came from the original Wen Mac .049 made in the fifties and sixties to not so good quality standards as Cox engines. Wen Macs were always considered as "toys". Even when Testors bought WenMac from AMF, they improve them as they put the McCoy brand. However, those engines never reached the high quality of Cox. Other brands making .049 were Holland Hornet and the Wasp you show, among others were good. Even Fox sold a .049 with not much luck. Nobody could compete with Cox. Fortunately Cox engines are still available. www.coxengines.ca
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:13 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
Well, I imagine that some of the nicer Cox engines did run very well. The ones that came in my little pre-assembled CL planes at K-Mart were junk or maybe I was just a stupid kid. Anything is possible. Of course, so were all the other boys in the neighborhood. Once you got them running, they were OK but starting them with that little spring...... sheesh.... You could spend an entire afternoon trying to get one started. Another possibility is that I had a lot more Testors junk than Cox and I'm just not remembering that detail very well.