Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 23, 2011, 10:24 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,320 Posts
here is a video of the Gasparin 9 cylinder radial Co2 engine being run.

http://wn.com/Radial_Engine_Start_Up it is in the middle of the right hand list of video clips.

they have a video of the Gasparin V12 Co2 engne being run here too: http://wn.com/aircraft_engine it is on the right hand side again as well.

In case someone wants more information about CO2 engines, here is some http://www.rafmaa.co.uk/newsletter/A...oor_scene3.htm

Model engine news goes into Co2 engines more too http://modelenginenews.org/pachasa/index.html
More Gasparin Co2 engines

I happened across a Cox Tee Dee .010 Co2 conversion that Davis Diesel Development used to make.
http://cgi.ebay.com/COX-010-CO2-Moto...item45fab3924d
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; May 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 03:00 PM
Brazil, SP, Rio Claro
Joined Nov 2009
80 Posts
Do I qualify?? LOL!

A Webra with reduction gear...
pisco2010 is online now Find More Posts by pisco2010
Old May 23, 2011, 03:47 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,804 Posts
I would love to get one of those some day, either Webra or OS. Install it into a large oldtimer.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old May 23, 2011, 04:11 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
That's an awful lot of money for a Gasparin CO2,
Once had the 18cyl. double row rotary engine in my collection.
It was the first example Stephan Gasparin has made.
Sold it aprox. 2or3 years ago to my collector/friend Reggy
You're right, Danny. I went to the Gasparin website and checked the price in CZK and then used a currency converter to get it in US Dollars. It was about $1237. That Ebay price is ridiculous.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old May 23, 2011, 09:44 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,097 Posts
That gear reduction had a weird sound. The engine ran at it's normal speed, but the prop sound just didn't really seem to match.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old May 26, 2011, 06:09 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,804 Posts
Here are three new ones for me this week, enjoy.
Merco 35 multi speed, McCoy 35 uc and the Super Hurricane 24 uc....it's Canadian eh. The Hurricane is used but the other two have not been run.

Bill
Old May 26, 2011, 08:43 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
HOT stunter !

Back in post #724, the topic of laminar flow was explained. Here is a "stunter" from early 1950, which has a "semi-laminar flow" wing section. As this thing looks (and behaves apparently too) very much like a Team Racer, it just shows how much progress has advanced in C/L models.
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old May 26, 2011, 11:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Merco Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Here are three new ones for me this week, enjoy.
Merco 35 multi speed, McCoy 35 uc and the Super Hurricane 24 uc....it's Canadian eh. The Hurricane is used but the other two have not been run.
Bill
Newcomers to model engine collecting (ie. anybody under 40 years of age) would not generally know that when Merco engines came out in the early 1960's, they had a reputation second to none. Their quality was impeccable and inspired people like Peter Chinn to rate some models as "magnificent". The Red Head 29 & 35 (the latter particularly) became one of the very best C/L stunt engines of all time, and the one shown by Bill above is even better at that job. Why ? Because when these engines were in their heyday, R/C receivers used reeds which vibrated at a certain frequency. Additional vibration from the engine could be the cause of a crash, so Merco lightened the piston on their 35 R/C engine, more so than the C/L Stunt version. The larger Merco 49's from that era were also a top rate item (they were built very solidly, so they could be enlarged into a 61) although it was discovered that the first single plug models developed abnormal wear in the rod's little end after 20 -25 hours running time. This was cured in the twin-plug engines by employing a bushed small end, as well as piston ports to help the hot gasses to escape from under the piston crown. Now here's the bad news - over the years, Merco's suffered from a gradual decline in build quality until they hit rock bottom with the ABC models. They weren't the only engine manufacturers to strike problems in that area though - ABC technology was very new back then, and it took a few years to iron all the bugs out and find the optimum taper etc. Now here's the good news ! Because the latter day Merco's were saddled with a bad reputation, it meant that the early (super quality) ones were also lumped into the same category, meaning that now, those early ones can be picked up quite cheaply ! BOB
More at - http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/merco/index.htm
Old May 26, 2011, 11:11 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
These are the ones to look for - the equivalent 61's are in a red box
(from my own collection)
Old May 27, 2011, 08:37 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,296 Posts
Ah...ha! Good to know, Bob. I'm putting those Merco engines on my list.

Thanks for the tip!

BTW Bill, I commented earlier but I must have exited out before hitting the post button...sheesh... Those are some nice looking engines! I really like the Super Hurricane with the streamlined looking fins. The other two look like they are in perfect condition. Nice additions to the collection!
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old May 27, 2011, 06:42 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,804 Posts
Thanks very much for all that great info Twin, always nice to know all the details that you have given
Thanks Whiz, I collect what I like......nothing more, which makes things tough because there really isn't much I don't like
I bought the 3 of these for 150.00 shipped to my door which is a great price.
Bill
Old May 27, 2011, 09:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Needle valve

Does anyone know who invented the needle valve ? BOB

According to Google, the Bunsen Burner (with a needle valve) was invented by Robert Bunsen in 1855. Anybody know if the Egyptians used 'em ? Mel Anderson probably the first to utilise the NVA in an engine.
Last edited by Twin-Stack; May 29, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old May 27, 2011, 09:52 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,320 Posts
Mel Anderson (Anderson Spitfire and Atwood Baby Cyclone, Veco engines) is the guy who used the first true needle valve on a model airplane engine in 1932. It was a engine of about .525 cubic inch displacement, spark ignition, front rotary valve intake.
ref http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/MelAnderson.htm

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old May 27, 2011, 10:59 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Mel Anderson (Anderson Spitfire and Atwood Baby Cyclone, Veco engines) is the guy who used the first true needle valve on a model airplane engine in 1932.
Wow, that was quick ! I was thinking they may have been around for a lot longer than that - we shall have to wait for our European friends to confirm or deny this. Thanks ! BOB
Old May 27, 2011, 11:33 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
More Merco