HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2011, 07:38 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,097 Posts
I remember the after market carbs. I had (may still have) a Super Tiger carb made for the McCoy Red Head .19. Took a gutless wonder and made it into a low speed fan. Also have a Fox .59 with a Johnson Automix carb. Actually did a fairly good job. I think it was one of the first to effectively control fuel flow though the whole RPM range. It was quite a kick flying it on a Sterling Frumman Guardian with a J. Roberts 3 line system.

I also had a couple Champion glow plugs. I think they lasted far more flights than anything I get today. Ame as the old O. K. Cub plugs. Long life.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2011, 08:23 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,433 Posts
Quote:
Took a gutless wonder and made it into a low speed fan.
I think you just coined a new phrase. I like it.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old May 17, 2011, 08:50 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,097 Posts
Thanks! I'll let it be absorbed into public domain.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:38 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Engine Test of the Enya 19 Model 4002. The aerodynamics page, whilst not strictly related to glow engines, gives the best explanations I've seen - I've often wondered when reading about P 51 Mustang's what a laminar flow wing actually meant. BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old May 18, 2011, 10:13 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
More
Old May 19, 2011, 12:00 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Atwood Glo-Devil

Mainly for the benefit of any newbies, here is a Bill Atwood designed, 1948 Glo-Devil of 0.625 in. capacity. What makes these engines unique is the induction system - by both front shaft rotary AND rear drum ! The single induction gas passage feeding both inlets was, I guess, one solution (pre-Schnuerle) of how to stuff more fuel mix into the cylinder ! The late, great Peter Chinn was very impressed with these motors - in his 1963 article entitled "Outstanding Engines" (Model Aircraft June '63) he said - (Quote) "One of our own favourites of this period was the Atwood Champion. This engine had twin rotary-valves, a crankpin driven drum valve at the back and, fed from a passage cast in the bottom of the crankcase, a shaft valve at the front. We doubt whether the extra rotary-valve was the real secret of its performance but, especially in its later (1948) Model DR "Glo-Devil" version, this 10.26 cc engine had tremendous urge. We still recall being staggered by its performance on test : with the greatest of ease it put out over 0.90 b.h.p. on straight alcohol a day or two after we had been struggling to get 0.60 b.h.p. from a so-called racing 10 cc engine. The Atwood was the engine used by Harold deBolt's 5-ft. Stuntwagon (the original short-coupled C/L stunt model) which, to quote contemporary claims, it towed around at a cool 102 m.p.h."
During the early 1960's, a similar type of dual induction "kit" (basically a backplate with a rear induction system) could be retro-fitted to a front induction engine - see below. BOB
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Nov 16, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:31 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
More stuff -
Old May 20, 2011, 09:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Old May 21, 2011, 08:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Some early Fuji's from 1955 - the racing 29 has the rear induction
Old May 22, 2011, 04:16 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
And also -
Old May 22, 2011, 09:55 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,323 Posts
Well it's not a glow engine and the price is unaffordable for most engine collectors but it is a really cool model airplane engine. I bet most of us would love to have one. I know I would. Take a look. Oh and be sure to scroll down and see all of the photos and the video.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old May 22, 2011, 10:11 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,097 Posts
Drool! I find CO2 motors to be quite a relaxing powerplant. I have 4 single cylinder ones myself. Wish I had about 5 grand unencumbered to make an offer.
Old May 23, 2011, 06:49 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,433 Posts
The Compressed air or CO2 engines are really fascinating. Gasparin has made so many cool engines over the years too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old May 23, 2011, 08:34 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,001 Posts
That's an awful lot of money for a Gasparin CO2,
Once had the 18cyl. double row rotary engine in my collection.
It was the first example Stephan Gasparin has made.
Sold it aprox. 2or3 years ago to my collector/friend Reggy
danny.act is online now Find More Posts by danny.act
Old May 23, 2011, 09:08 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
I remember the after market carbs. I had (may still have) a Super Tiger carb made for the McCoy Red Head .19. Took a gutless wonder and made it into a low speed fan. Also have a Fox .59 with a Johnson Automix carb. Actually did a fairly good job. I think it was one of the first to effectively control fuel flow though the whole RPM range. It was quite a kick flying it on a Sterling Frumman Guardian with a J. Roberts 3 line system.

I also had a couple Champion glow plugs. I think they lasted far more flights than anything I get today. Ame as the old O. K. Cub plugs. Long life.
I recently received about 10 of the Champion glow plugs from a friend, they all work but I have not tried any in an engine yet. Very cool little bugger's!

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590