HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2011, 11:37 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,347 Posts
So Danny, what kind of engines do you fly on a regular basis? I like collecting right now but I don't fly any engines myself. I fly all electric power for the quiet and convenience benefits that it offers.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 11:43 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,002 Posts
Ross flat series family

Ross opposed cyl. family
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Old May 10, 2011, 11:56 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
So Danny, what kind of engines do you fly on a regular basis? I like collecting right now but I don't fly any engines myself. I fly all electric power for the quiet and convenience benefits that it offers.
Mr.Wiz, these days it's strictly electric on many club sites in our neighbourhood. Back in the eighties my main interest whas flying fourstroke engines. My first fourstroke whas a H.P. VT-21, beside that I had mainly O.S. fourstrokes for flying, FS-61, FS-80, FS-90, FT-120 etc...
At this moment I no longer have any larger IC models ready for flying, but have some smaller electric models that I can fly on open spaces in the neighbourhood. And some small electric Heli's (Blade SR, 120SR, mCPX, Funcopter) for my backyard flying.
Do hope to fly some fourstrokes again in the future.
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Old May 10, 2011, 12:13 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,347 Posts
I know what you mean about the 4-strokes. Those were my favorites too. I had 3 OS FS .70s and several Saitos in the 50 to 100 size range too. I also had an HP .21 VT but I never flew it. I couldn't find an airframe that would handle the weight and fly in a manner I wanted for the modest power output of the HP .21. I would like to go back and get another for the collection however.

I got to the point where the sound of a high performance 2-cycle was just too shrill to bear. Right now I fly a Trex 450 SE and a couple sport planes as well as a 110 size pattern plane designed to use electric.

Very soon however I'm going to go back and build something to fly with a little 1/2A size diesel and something else to fly with a spark ignition engine. I never used those types of IC engines back when and I'm feeling like I missed out on the experience.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2011, 12:21 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Like the kids say nowadays .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
Ross flat six made in USA
..... THATS SICK !!! (means as good as it gets!)

I can really apriciate thos engines, as when I still worked, it was as a German Auto Tec.

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
Old May 14, 2011, 09:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Ted Enticknap Engine Collection

For any collectors who are not already aware of it, there is a huge collection of model engines which is being slowly sold off on eBay, by the seller robbie_98373 Here is also a link to the collection - http://www.the-great-sam8.com/enticknap.htm which belonged to Ted Enticknap of Auburn, WA. Ted was a very influential modeller way back when, and must have had a vast collection, as I guess his stuff has been appearing on eBay for at least two years now. One thing to keep in mind though - very few of Ted's engines seem to come with the needle valve. I myself have purchased several of his engines, and none came with the needle - there must be a HUGE box somewhere, containing thousands of different needles ! BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old May 14, 2011, 09:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Custom engine parts

And speaking of needle valves - way back in Post #157, I mentioned that my Yulon 49 needed one. Nobody came forward, so I contacted Jon Fletcher here in Oz, who produces great stuff. I sent Jon some sketches and measurements of the Yulon's venturi (as well as the 2 halves of the spraybar) and he made me up 2 needles for less than $20 including postage! The photo shows the NVA set-up, installed in the dummy venturi which Jon made especially. Incidentally, the thread on those needle's is a very fine 10 BA. I would thoroughly recommend Jon's superb workmanship to anyone, and his email is - jonfletcher@optusnet.com.au BOB
Old May 14, 2011, 11:05 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Not glow ignition, but what a plane, and what an engine !
FHC's FW-190 A5 Start up and taxi test (10 min 6 sec)
Old May 14, 2011, 11:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Engine noises

And finally - the sound of a Napier Sabre H-24, as well as a pulsejet.
http://www.hawkertempest.se/Sounds.htm

Back to model engines ! http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/KnappCol.htm
Last edited by Twin-Stack; May 15, 2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old May 16, 2011, 08:27 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Not glow ignition, but what a plane, and what an engine !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh1-tYoZgtU&NR=1
That is quite a plane, Bob. I've been to a lot of airshows in my time but I've never seen a full scale FW-190 before.

Thanks for the post!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 05:05 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
That is quite a plane, Bob. I've been to a lot of airshows in my time but I've never seen a full scale FW-190 before.

Thanks for the post!
Mike, what makes it special is that its not a "new build" replica,but a genuine Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5, and powered by an original BMW 801 radial engine (the new ones have Russian built radials). This particular plane was recovered from a forest near Leningrad, where it crashed (due to engine failure) in July 1943. It is painted in its original colours of 4./JG54.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
I would like to hear if anyone has had any experience with the early 60's Dynamic "Bulldog" 09. These must have been made for only a short period of time around mid 1963 - about the same time that Hi Johnson was swapping model engines for slot cars (remember them ?). I think they may have got the name "Bulldog" from its pugnacious appearance, but were they any good or just a flop ? BOB
Old May 17, 2011, 04:47 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,481 Posts
I don't know anything about the engine, but they used to made carbs to convert control line engines to RC many years ago. I put one on a Fox .19 slpit case engine ages ago for QM racing. At the time we all thought it was a special Fox .15 engine. it didn't do as well as a 15x engine though so it was a short lived run for the .19 engine.

Oh yeah before someone mentions it, that really is a glow plug on it and not a spark plug. They used to make some pretty neat glow plugs way back when.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My homemade Hexacopter build
Old May 17, 2011, 05:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Oh yeah before someone mentions it, that really is a glow plug on it and not a spark plug. They used to make some pretty neat glow plugs way back when. [/QUOTE]

Yes, its a funny thing - I'm attracted to those glow plugs with the ceramic insulation too. I think its a Veco plug, and I noted that Danny has quite a few in his collection. I also like the Champion VG 2's - they really look the part on a vintage engine. Re. the FOX 19 - you must have one of the few split cases that wasn't returned in the factory recall. Looking at the design now, I'd be tempted to ask ol' Duke - "What were you thinking" ?