Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2011, 11:13 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
Well, I've posted this before, but here is the spectacular 18 cc Lohmann bicycle motor...compression ignition..!
It runs on oil-mixed kerosene (no ether!).
Compression is adjustable from the handlebars.
Early 1950's.

That 18cc diesel moped is great. Now that did get me to thinking about if the big glow engines that are converted to diesel would actually run OK off of regular pump diesel fuel or not. Albeit with oil added of course. The larger engines have more size to them and engine displacement to generate heat better for combustion than the smaller engines have.
18cc is smaller than the typical 20cc or 1.20 engine or larger we have around.
I also wonder if they made the Lohmann engine any more robust than our glow engines too.

More info about it:
http://cyclemaster.wordpress.com/pag...nn-hilfsmotor/

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old May 06, 2011, 03:01 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,826 Posts
I have three real nice vintage glow engine coming in about 10 days, will post photos once they arrive.
A McCoy 35, a Merlin 24 and a Merco 35

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old May 06, 2011, 03:32 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
I have three real nice vintage glow engine coming in about 10 days, will post photos once they arrive.
A McCoy 35, a Merlin 24 and a Merco 35

Bill
Good for you, Bill. I look forward to seeing them.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old May 06, 2011, 07:11 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,826 Posts
I got them for a great price from a great gentleman whom I have never met It's a wonderful world as this has happened to me more times than I can remember.
If your interested Whiz I can hook you up......he has a list and mostly smaller engines. Prices and condition listed as well, located in Quebec, Canada.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old May 06, 2011, 08:13 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
I got them for a great price from a great gentleman whom I have never met It's a wonderful world as this has happened to me more times than I can remember.
If your interested Whiz I can hook you up......he has a list and mostly smaller engines. Prices and condition listed as well, located in Quebec, Canada.

Bill
Oh boy, am I ever interested.
Old May 06, 2011, 10:10 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Almost by accident (it was intended as a budget priced engine) Duke Fox produced one of his best motors back in the early 1960's - the "Blue Ribbon" 35 X. This engine had dual needle roller bearings on the shaft and came, not in a box, but in a "bubble pack." Here is the rarely seen printed instructions which came on the back of the pack. BOB
I had to go look at my small collection of Fox Combat 36X engines. Early versions of the series.
Anyway I had converted one for RC purposes. One engine still has the open intake for use with a bladder or a pressure fuel tank. The other two have the special venturi intake restrictor inserts for slow combat competitions.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old May 08, 2011, 12:03 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Cunning ol' FOX

In post #689, I showed a scan of the cardboard backing on the bubble pack of a FOX 35X "Blue Ribbon". Below is a clearer scan of the actual FOX advert. taken from MAN April 1962, and alongside, the Engine Review that Peter Chinn did for MAN in July 1963 (only 15 months later). Notice anything different ? The original 35X as shown in the advert. had TWO needle roller bearings (Chinn's test engine has but one), and the first 35X you will notice, has no strengthening webs on the front housing, whereas Chinn's engine DOES have webs. Peter very coyly neglects to mention that there were TWO different 35X "Blue Ribbon Specials." BOB
Old May 08, 2011, 12:28 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Perhaps not quite as beautiful looking as the OS Max III 29 & 35, the 5224 Series Enya 29 & 35 nonetheless, World Class engines. Note the BB version in the MRC advert has the very early (and short lived) "radiused" prop driver - later ones "stepped." BOB
Old May 09, 2011, 09:14 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Super Tigre test courtesy of Model Airplane News / Glo Chief 19 C/L model

I should point out to budding collectors too - take particular note of the patina on the Glo Chief's needle valve, cylinder head etc. That's what the metal should look like after half a century's natural ageing. Beware of nice, shiny brass needle valves, or highly polished heads on an old engine - chances are the seller has "cleaned" them up with steel wool, the residue of which can ruin an engine's internals. BOB
Last edited by Twin-Stack; May 11, 2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old May 10, 2011, 10:38 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,005 Posts
Northfield ROSS engines USA

Northfield-Ross USA data & Operation instructions sheets:
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Old May 10, 2011, 11:16 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,603 Posts
Do you have a Ross, Danny? One of the guys in my club, way back when had a Ross 60 "Flat" twin. It was very cool looking but he never could make it run right. I didn't know much about it beyond the fact that he was very disappointed with it.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:19 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,005 Posts
Mr. Wiz,
Have some Ross engines in my collection, will post some pictures soon.

regards,
Danny
Old May 10, 2011, 11:27 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,005 Posts
Northfield ROSS .60 flat-twin

Ross engines made in USA
Old May 10, 2011, 11:31 AM