http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RARE-GORDON-B...item33675bc6cb
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2011, 11:02 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
Is there a place where you can buy engine stands like those?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old May 03, 2011, 02:26 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Thanks Bob, I do.
Already made the seller a reasonable offer when it was listed before.
It didn't meet the sellers expectations.

regards,
Danny.
danny.act is online now Find More Posts by danny.act
Last edited by danny.act; May 03, 2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old May 03, 2011, 05:38 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,009 Posts
Vega 4-stroke England

Vega
Made in England in very small numbers , aprox. 30 were made of the .180 edition.
Made by John Harbone, who got ill once production started.
health forced John into retirement, and into a change of home address where he was unable to consider going on. The manufacturing rights were sold to Phil Ramsey, of Ramsey Engineering in the U.K.
Old May 03, 2011, 10:20 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
Just curious, Danny. You have all of these wonderful engines in your collection. Do you have all data of each one committed to memory or do you keep a file on each of them to refresh you memory about the details from time to time?
Old May 03, 2011, 11:05 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,009 Posts
Hi Mr.Wiz,

Thanks!
There whas a time..... when I could remember most important things from memory, still do for a part, have to confess that I keep a file wich I have to rely on more and more these days.
During the years of engine collecting there are some periods that we are derived from collecting and being busy with other hobby things or worst case work. During these periods I tend to forget some engine knowledge and therefore it's interesting to have some data files.
After finding the engine You were looking for, going on search on history and information for that engine is great part of the fun.

Regards,
Danny.
Old May 03, 2011, 11:18 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,009 Posts
Robinson R.V.E. rotary valve 4-stroke Prototype

ROBINSON R.V.E. rotary valve ĎPrototypeí
Serial number: 00001.
1980 model. The very first Robinson RVE ever made. Pre production model. The inscription ĎRVEí wasnít even included in the castingís, this whas done after testing and proving and overall handling caracteristics of these engine.
Engine has a slightly larger bore than the final production models. Otherwhise exactly the same as the final production model. Only very few Robinson RVEís were made, a total of aprox. 50 engines has been made back in 1981.
Obtained these prototypes 2 from Mr. Barry Robinson himself back in 1995.
Old May 03, 2011, 03:29 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,009 Posts
Condor .120 rotary valve 4-stroke

CONDOR .120 4-stroke made in England
Rotary valve type engine. Made in England Chelmsford Essex at Condor Engines Ltd. and designed and manufactured by Mr. Dennis J. Allen.
Made in small numbers as a .90 and .120 version. A total of aprox. 500 engines has been made during 1983. Production has been stopped due to the intensive assembly work on these engines.
Old May 03, 2011, 03:40 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,947 Posts
Due to the lousy economy my engine collecting has basically stopped, hope I can continue some day.
Great looking engines Danny
I do have one more ignition engine coming with a ton of history behind it. I'll post everything in the appropriate thread when the engine arrives.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old May 03, 2011, 07:02 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
More beautiful and unusual engines Danny. Thanks for posting them. You must have one of the nicest collections there is. I was wondering if you have any small engines in your collection and if so, would you post some pictures of them here?

Cheers,

Wiz

<edit> I see I didn't look closely enough. You posted a picture of a Vega .25 just above. I guess I need to be more observant.
Old May 03, 2011, 08:46 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
VEGA 4-Stroke engines

Re. the above (the following information from Ken Humphries, who helped with the development & manufacture of the VEGA engines) - "The very early engines were indeed best run on 10% nitro for a reliable tickover, but the later engines (including the .50, .60, 1.20 in longstroke & shortstroke, and the 1.80 twins) were all intended to run on NO nitro, irrespective of fuel used - be it castor based, semi-synthetic or full synthetic. The real secret to a good tickover was to use Super Tigre speed glow plugs. For some reason they really gave utter reliability."
Old May 03, 2011, 09:39 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
On the subject of 4-Strokes -
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/i_c_en...eve_valve.html
and 5-Strokes -
5-Takt-Motor - Konzept (2 min 6 sec)

(who will be first to make a model one ? )
Old May 04, 2011, 04:57 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,009 Posts
Bill,
Thanks. If it may be of any help,Think You are not alone about engine collecting situation, Engine collecting is mostly a thing of years. I guess we all have our moments when times are right for engine collecting and some periods of time that we have to rely on our common sence and have to give priority to other things in life. Personally I've always used my hobby budget for collecting or sold some hobby stuff to buy that particulary long wanted engine. Many times I buyed several engines at a time to keep prices reasonable and sold the remaining engines that were not of direct interest to me and have funds for the engines that I specificly would like to have.

Mr. Wiz,
Thanks, I did have a lot of small engines during the years of collecting engines (Cox, K&B, Super Tigre, Webra, and diesels to name a few) but sold most of them to have funds for the engines that I would really like to have.
Only have a few left.
My friend/collector Reggy has a huge engine collection and many small engines.

Bob,
Thanks for the info on the Vega engines.

Regards,
Danny.
Old May 04, 2011, 05:31 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Here's my latest eBay purchase, a lovely OS Max H 35 circa 1964 / 65. These were the follow-up engines to the Max III, and like the III's, of superb quality. I paid $111.50 for this, which is cheap for such a nice engine. These had a twin ball-race shaft, and the old style scavenging system. BOB
Just to set the record straight, I got this engine today, and it has only a single (not twin) ball race - at the rear of the shaft. For newbies, this is the best position to have a ball race, as its at the rear where most of the wear & tear takes place. That's why the 2nd model Drone had a rear ball race, to cure the problems of the plain bearing 1st model. Twin ball races do mean less friction, but also more critical alignment during manufacture.
Old May 04, 2011, 08:29 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Is there a place where you can buy engine stands like those?
Mike, I contacted the seller (another Aussie) and those brass engine stands were obtained off eBay UK. The seller's name is / was Peter Scott, eBay name "Lord of the Wings." Dunno if they're still available. BOB