SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:11 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Look at the long tip on that glow plug! I've never seen one quite that long before. [/QUOTE]

Mike, Yep, nice all right ! Our European friends might confirm this, but I think that glow plug is a Super Tigre item from Italy. I had a Tigre once with that same loooong plug. BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:16 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,640 Posts
I don't know, Bob. It might be a Supertigre but it was in all the packaging with the engine. It was actually in a nice little hexagon shaped plastic tube with a green plug. I'll up load a photo of the box and documentation later.... when my camera batteries re-charge.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:25 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,640 Posts
Alright, so I'll need a little indulgence for this next one. It's not vintage at all but I think it's one of the cutest little engines out there and it was dirt cheap too. Here it is, the Thunder Tiger GP 07. Look at its wonderful proportions and that cast in place carb. I just love the shiny head. I think it's gonna look great along side my little O&R Midjet, my MVVS 1.5D and the FOK 1cc that I have recently collected. I mean how else do we get NIB vintage engines these days if guys like me didn't preserve them way back when they were common? Anyway, I hope someone out there besides me appreciates the appearance of this little guy.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:31 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
More stuff -
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:47 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
As well -
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:53 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Yet more -
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:49 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
And -
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:16 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Here it is, the Thunder Tiger GP 07.[/QUOTE]

Mr. Wiz, it is my solemn duty to inform you that you have committed the worst possible sin against this community, namely, you have purchased an engine Made in er, THAT country ! You shall be taken from here to a place of execution, and hung - er, what the heck. You are acquitted of all charges. Next case !
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:01 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Mr. Wiz, it is my solemn duty to inform you that you have committed the worst possible sin against this community, namely, you have purchased an engine Made in er, THAT country ! You shall be taken from here to a place of execution, and hung - er, what the heck. You are acquitted of all charges. Next case !
But, but but.... it doesn't have that cheap *** feel like some other engines from that country. Anyway, there are only a handful of current engines I'd buy for my collection, this was probably the most iffy one.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:58 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,363 Posts
Some of my vintage FOX 1/2a engines.

One of my Fox .07 RC engines:

I even have a couple of NIB versions too.

and instructions for the engine along with some Fox ads on the side.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:03 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,640 Posts
I like that Fox 07! Never seen one before.... I need to add it to the "must have" list.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:05 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,363 Posts
and a Fox .049 engine from 1962 as shown here:

The Fox .049 FAI engine ran just as good as a Cox TeeDee .049 engine did and was just as powerful. But it didn't turn the same high RPMs, so you needed to run a larger prop on it instead.

the Fox .049 FAI engine even has SPI (sub-piston induction) just like the Cox Tee Dee engines did.

The FOX .07 Comet engine from circa 1959. it had the engine set up for a side mount which is why the tank is offset 90 degrees. Also they ran a longer intake tube on the engine. The engine was made in the .07 cubic inch size to give it more power to fly the Comet brand RTF control line planes of that era. when Comet and Fox broke up their agreements, Fox ground off the Comet logo on the side of the engines and then cut the intake tube off shorter and at a angle and started selling them as a Fox .07 engine.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Apr 26, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:14 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,363 Posts
The Gilbert .07 and .11 engines are super neat too. I sorta like these engines a lot as they have a cool dual exhaust muffler or stack setup on them. The engines normally ran clockwise way back then for Control line use. So they came with a reverse pitch prop in the packaged sets. They even had spring starters for them too.

There were a reasons for the intake tube on the back being raised up like that. it put it out of the way in a crash. The RTF planes then were heavy and tough and didn't break when they crashed, at least most of the time. Then the needle is easy to get to and away from the prop too.

Gilbert .07 engine

Gilbert .11 Thunderbird engine

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Apr 26, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:52 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
I liked my Glo-Star, a very easy to handle sport engine. I have the box, but it has way too much flying time to qualify as NIB. I had a dumb-thumb moment a couple years ago that took out the NV assembly, so I now have plugged the NV area and am using a remote needle on the backplate. Haven't run it since the incident. Besides, I've been using the AM muffler on another engine. We're in a rather densly populated area, so all the local clubs (about the only areas where it's easy to fly) require mufflers on anything over .09 cu. in.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:03 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
And more -