HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:16 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Stack View Post
Here is shown a gadget (piston lock) to solve the problem, but before I use one, could I have an engineer's opinion please on what forces are applied to the crank-pin, con-rod & plug threads ie. is it 100 % safe ?
Personally I think this gadget was devised by the suppliers of spare piston/liners for car engines . The main force is directed over a very small area of the piston crown which, being alloy and rather thin, is going to bend or even get broken through. This particularly applies if the piston is close to TDC (or BDC) where the small angularity of the rod gives an extreme multiplication of any torque applied to the crankshaft.

(Disclaimer: Not an engineer, just using common sense )
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:47 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,596 Posts
Mostly easily identifiable Diesel parts here ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Parts-fo...item5654083577 ) but I think the muff with the big hole in the top is for an AMCO 3.5 glow (you still will need the plug button though)
Twin Stack is online now Find More Posts by Twin Stack
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:07 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,596 Posts
This would appear to be (wait for Bill's confirmation) the very first FOX 35 Combat Special from 1957
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:52 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
601 Posts
This 1970's West German engine has been featured before in this thread, but I thought there might be some interest in a user report.

The Suevia is 25cc of absolute delight.

Pulls my Junior 112, (a scaled up Juinor 60 to guess what span) with the greatest of ease.

It is a consistent 1 flick starter, just not always in the right direction.
Side port and Schneurle is not a common combination but it works very well.

For an average 10-15 minute flight it uses maybe 1/3 of the 20 oz tank.

I've read tales of Suevia's reversing on idle, but I'm using a heavy 18x6 Master Classic and even with a sub 1,000 tick over I haven't been able to provoke a reverse so far.

Fly more oldies!!!
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:54 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,596 Posts
Holy Cow Warren - that is one BIG model !
PS What would you have said had the young lady tripped and fell on it ?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:01 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,596 Posts
Just recently, I bought some old British modelling magazines from the early 1950's (AeroModeller and Model Aircraft) and infuriatingly, some previous owner had clipped pages out randomly. I would just start to read an article, when (bugger) the following page or pages were missing. Luckily there was help at hand - a genial gentleman in England named David Lloyd Jones (how British can you get !) has copies of just about every modelling magazine ever printed, and can supply either the whole (hard copy) magazine, or as in my case, selected pages which can be scanned and emailed to you. Not just UK magazines either, but most US ones as well, right back to issue 1, #1 ! If that's not enough, David can supply you with full size building plans of most models issued by these magazines, as well as kit plans too ! This guy is a marvel, and he takes PayPal. What are you waiting for ? Rules state that I cannot give you David's email here, but if you contact me direct, the secret is yours ! Either that or Google "David Lloyd Jones Aeromodeller"
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:48 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Stack View Post
Mostly easily identifiable Diesel parts here ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Parts-fo...item5654083577 ) but I think the muff with the big hole in the top is for an AMCO 3.5 glow (you still will need the plug button though)
My hawkeye immediately spots the "hen's teeth-ish" carb.needle "hook" for Frog 500 (& Frog 250)...

Should someone in here (hint hint ) purchase this lot, now it's the time to scan this very rare item..! With a template based on the original, it wouldn't be too hard to reproduce....

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Mar 15, 2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:59 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
My hawkeye immediately spots the "hen's teeth-ish" carb.needle "hook" for Frog 500 (& Frog 250)...

Should someone in here (hint hint ) purchase this lot, now it's the time to scan this very rare item..! With a template based on the original, it wouldn't be too hard to reproduce....

Bosse, Do you mean you'd like a scan of a Frog 500 carb needle hook?
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:26 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Bosse, Do you mean you'd like a scan of a Frog 500 carb needle hook?
When posting the above, I was thinking this would be a "good deed" for all Frog restorers, but to answer your question....yeah, I'd like a scan of the hook (incl. thickness info), as well as a "scan" or scetch of the needle itself.
Although not topping my list of projects, I've got a Frog 250 with these parts missing.
Spraybar, spring & nut are there, so np...
I am pretty sure the hook & needle are the same for '250 & '500...

Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:35 AM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
636 Posts
I need a Frog 500 glow plug head.
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:04 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,509 Posts
Bosse, I'll do my best later today.
Bill, I think all Frog 500 heads are the same, glow or spark. I'll have a nose around in my box of bits...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:08 PM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,509 Posts
OK Bosse, here's a scan of a Frog 500 needle hook. The following dimensions are the best I can measure, using a sliding vernier gauge:

Length = 31.7 mm
Width = 6.1 mm
Thickness = 1 mm

Bill, I have a spare Frog 500 head. Looks very nice, but it has two defects: the plug thread has been repaired with a small alloy insert (would be invisible on the engine with a plug installed), and one side fin is chipped. All the other fins are perfect, including the tiny ones.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:56 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
Warren, your 112 is absolutely excellent. Makes that big Suevia look like a 1/2a engine.
Great job!!
I have one of those big singles as well and although I have not flown it, it runs like a top.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
OK Bosse, here's a scan of a Frog 500 needle hook.
Thank you so much Brian..!
I will save this info with the engine until it's time to finish restoration....

Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:11 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,596 Posts
One of those Chinese 40 cc twin's, with a German Stihl carb