HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:48 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,939 Posts
The alkaline solution is called Crystal Clear. You can leave any metal submerged indefinately with no ill affects. Also heat can be used at any tempreture and it will not darken or discolour the aluminum.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:02 PM
B.C.,Canada
Joined Jan 2003
52 Posts
Thank you for the lead on the Crystal Clear solution and the SharperTek U-Sonics.
quietflyer is offline Find More Posts by quietflyer
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:41 PM
B.C.,Canada
Joined Jan 2003
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Klenk View Post
My first usonic cleaner had no heater, the next one I bought did, and it is worth the money. I find the warmer the better. Using cleaner fluids even dishwashing liquid will harm aluminum if it gets hot enough. The problem is sodium hydroxide. Stuff like oven cleaner has it and will turn aluminum black. I use a product called Crystal Clear, available here in Ontario. For those really grimy baked on castor crud engines I just turn up the heat. Usually I run it at 110F, tough stains I go to 140F and let it soak for a while and then turn it on. Also get as big a cleaner as your budget will allow. I have the 12 liter tank. I can float a separate sealed dish on the surface with a caustic to clean brass and with a lid it does not pollute the original mix. Just my experiences.
Thanks for your input, Frank. Your advice based on your experiences is much appreciated. Do you use a Sharpertek unit or some other brand? I apologize for drifting off topic a little.
Min
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:43 PM
B.C.,Canada
Joined Jan 2003
52 Posts
One more question, do ultrasonics affect anodising? Thanks.
Min
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:33 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietflyer View Post
One more question, do ultrasonics affect anodising? Thanks.
Min
There is ONE exeption, the black anodising on OS twins ! Gone in one minute.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:55 PM
Newbee
Mornington Vic
Joined Mar 2010
165 Posts
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
There is ONE exeption, the black anodising on OS twins ! Gone in one minute.
That black anodising on OS twins seems to come off with anything you put on it, must be some strange process they use and it isn't very good
Barry
kakariki is offline Find More Posts by kakariki
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:41 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,939 Posts
The ultransonic used with this cleaner will strip paint and anodizing clean off.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Last edited by williame3590; Feb 07, 2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:44 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietflyer View Post
Thanks for your input, Frank. Your advice based on your experiences is much appreciated. Do you use a Sharpertek unit or some other brand? I apologize for drifting off topic a little.
Min
No problem Min. A bit off topic but a good thing to discuss. I use a Pro Sonik, DSA200-SK2-12L. I found the seller on the bay, beyondsales2007 and I notice he has not sold for quite a while. However he does have a store in New Market Ontario. He sells all types of cleaners and the office staff is great to deal with. The store is called Crystal Electronics. I can pm you contact info if you need it.
I agree with a big YES that usonic will rip the anodize color off in a heart beat. You can soak it in the heated cleaner and after I just clean with a tooth brush.
Frank Klenk is offline Find More Posts by Frank Klenk
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:42 PM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
682 Posts
Frank, Where is my newsletter??
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:49 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Klenk View Post
No problem Min. A bit off topic but a good thing to discuss. I use a Pro Sonik, DSA200-SK2-12L. I found the seller on the bay, beyondsales2007 and I notice he has not sold for quite a while. However he does have a store in New Market Ontario. He sells all types of cleaners and the office staff is great to deal with. The store is called Crystal Electronics. I can pm you contact info if you need it.
I agree with a big YES that usonic will rip the anodize color off in a heart beat. You can soak it in the heated cleaner and after I just clean with a tooth brush.
Not all kinds of anodising.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:25 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,601 Posts
"That black anodising on OS twins seems to come off with anything you put on it, must be some strange process they use and it isn't very good"

Has anyone confirmed that it is anodizing, and not just a chem film of some sort????

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:35 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G WILLIE View Post
Frank, Where is my newsletter??
I sent you an email ... LOL.
Frank Klenk is offline Find More Posts by Frank Klenk
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:21 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,993 Posts
"This is a Viper Four Cylinder prototype engine. This engine is strictly a prototype that was made with 20 other prototypes to determine the best design. This engine is complete with the exception of two pistons and an incomplete crankshaft. It does turn over like a normal engine. If the buyer is a machinist and wishes to complete the engine I will send him the missing parts (two pistons and the crankshaft parts.) This can be made into a running engine; however, the crankshaft is a patented item, therefore it is protected and cannot be reproduced for sale."
(on German eBay)
Twin Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin Stack
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:28 PM
Joined Oct 2007
382 Posts
Hi Bob, its very nice to see you again here.
Be welcome mate
stg61abc is offline Find More Posts by stg61abc
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,993 Posts
Here, from 1957, is Gordon Burford's rendition of an old favorite - the 3 bolt backplate FOX Stunt, otherwise known as a Series 1 Glo-Chief 29. Look closely at the rear view - see that small casting fault on the main case, halfway along the top of the backplate (just next to the red paint) ? Ivor F described it as a "jib-sail" or "spinnaker" shape, and yes, it does look a bit like a sailboat's, er sail. Apparently, when working on the original casting die, Gordon's grinder broke through at that spot into a porosity "air bubble". GB just cleaned it up the best he could, and went on to produce 250 engines from this "fingerprinted" die. Last photo shows the 35 size of this "FOX" Glo Chief........
Twin Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin Stack
Last edited by Twin Stack; Feb 22, 2013 at 06:18 PM.