HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:28 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,759 Posts
Home built

Engine apart and U-son cleaned. Tiny camshaft compare with one eurocent !
I haéve seen quite a few homebuilt engines and most are rubbish but this one is made by someone that knew his onions. More pics later on.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:54 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nernst View Post
Hello,
I have got this Super Tigre G24, the crankshaft seems too long and pushes out the bearing, circa 1 mm. I'd like to know if the engine left the factory with this feature, therefore if you have got a G24 second series like mine, can you check the front bearing jut?
Many thanks
Ernesto
Ernesto, we've done this before!
I checked my G24 engines and the front bearing protrudes on all of them, between 0.5 mm and 1 mm (just a visual estimate, I haven't measured it).
Also, as my knowledgeable friend David Owen pointed out, there should be a small washer between the bearing and the prop driver spool, but the washer is quite small and you have to push the spool forward to see it.
The front end of your engine looks OK to me...
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:23 AM
Joined Oct 2007
380 Posts
Hi Ernesto, really pretty engine
Do you have some video running it?
Also I noted that you have more vintage ST´s
Thanks
Carlo
stg61abc is offline Find More Posts by stg61abc
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:27 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,759 Posts
Home built

Finished. Pictures do show brass con-rod and the newly made gasket. Engine is 7cm high. I will ask the seller if he can give some information on the numbers and letters stamped on crankcase, it was made by his father, deceased I think.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:28 AM
Italy, Sicily, Messina
Joined Sep 2011
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Ernesto, we've done this before!
I checked my G24 engines and the front bearing protrudes on all of them, between 0.5 mm and 1 mm (just a visual estimate, I haven't measured it).
Also, as my knowledgeable friend David Owen pointed out, there should be a small washer between the bearing and the prop driver spool, but the washer is quite small and you have to push the spool forward to see it.
The front end of your engine looks OK to me...
Many thanks! Now I feel more confident. Looking at my G24 third series, I have noticed that the front plate of crankcase is 1 mm. circa longer, and the front bearing is aligned. Some second series G24 probably show this feature from factory. But I cannot see the small washer, like in McCoy 60 Series 20 or 29 RH.
Thank you again
All the best
Ernesto
nernst is offline Find More Posts by nernst
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:33 AM
Italy, Sicily, Messina
Joined Sep 2011
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stg61abc View Post
Hi Ernesto, really pretty engine
Do you have some video running it?
Also I noted that you have more vintage ST´s
Thanks
Carlo
Thank you Carlo!
I'm waiting for ignition set, but it is possible also running glow. I will post video running it asap.
Yes, I love vintage Supertigre....
All the best
Ernesto
nernst is offline Find More Posts by nernst
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:43 PM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Wow! What a thread!!!

Just discovered this one from a link in another thread. Just love seeing all these old engines and reading select reviews et al. I'm only to page 26... but am taking a break for a while.

As for me, not really an engine collector per se, as I have pretty much flown most of the ones I have that are useable. Mainly my "thing" is for the lowly little Fox engines from the 60's. No doubt this is due to my youth years, which led to employment at Fox during most of the early-mid 1970's.

My favorite Fox engines? The 36X! However, I also like all the Fox combat engines from the 50's up to the last of the 36X series. I also really enjoy the 35 Stunt. Love working on the Fox engines, handling them, fondling them, smelling them....

What can I say? I like 'em!

I've just recently started re-activating in C/L flying... and have started digging out my engine collection. Below are a few pics of my efforts...
Andre, In 1971-72 Fox sold a large case 40 in RC and Stunt versions. George Aldrich was supposed to have worked on this. The story is it started out to be a racing engine, but Duke swung it over to Stunt. Do you know about this project?
The engines sold were bushed. The 1972 catalog showed BB versions but these were never sold; the ones in the catalog are in the AMA museum. Bill Ives has one that came from Wayne Loos who used to visit the factory. I just got one that was supposed to have been worked on by George. It has a single rear BB, an all steel cylinder, a head button, and totally different porting.

Bill Mohrbacher
G WILLIE is online now Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:05 PM
Newbee
Mornington Vic
Joined Mar 2010
163 Posts
Missed this

Missed this on Ebay that went for half price -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ross-4-cylin...item337f855927

seller wouldn't post overseas reasonably, someone got a bargain.
kakariki is offline Find More Posts by kakariki
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:14 PM
B.C.,Canada
Joined Jan 2003
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Engine apart and U-son cleaned. Tiny camshaft compare with one eurocent !
I haéve seen quite a few homebuilt engines and most are rubbish but this one is made by someone that knew his onions. More pics later on.
Hi Reginald,
What do you use in the ultrasonic for cleaning the engines? Is it detergent and warm water or do you use some commercial cleaning concentrate? Thanks
Min
quietflyer is offline Find More Posts by quietflyer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:50 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietflyer View Post
Hi Reginald,
What do you use in the ultrasonic for cleaning the engines? Is it detergent and warm water or do you use some commercial cleaning concentrate? Thanks
Min
It is a white powder detergent that I got from someone in the Morgan club who's running a gold and silver guilding company, a 20kg bag but no name of make on it. Is this powder the same stuff as those dishwasher or washing machine powders I do not know but I syppose it is ? My Uson does have a heating system and for aluminium I do not exeed 60 to 65° C to avoid discolouring on some types of alu. One thing ultrason does not remove is rust and another is carbon. If you do have to clean things on a regular basis then U-son is a must. That 20kg will last my lifetime.....
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:03 PM
B.C.,Canada
Joined Jan 2003
52 Posts
Is there a big difference in the results using warmer solutions? I am looking to purchase a unit but not sure if the heating option is worth it. Also, a number of commercial solutions are available but not sure whether they will affect aluminum or other alloys used in our engines.Thanks.
Min
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:28 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietflyer View Post
Is there a big difference in the results using warmer solutions? I am looking to purchase a unit but not sure if the heating option is worth it. Also, a number of commercial solutions are available but not sure whether they will affect aluminum or other alloys used in our engines.Thanks.
Min
My first usonic cleaner had no heater, the next one I bought did, and it is worth the money. I find the warmer the better. Using cleaner fluids even dishwashing liquid will harm aluminum if it gets hot enough. The problem is sodium hydroxide. Stuff like oven cleaner has it and will turn aluminum black. I use a product called Crystal Clear, available here in Ontario. For those really grimy baked on castor crud engines I just turn up the heat. Usually I run it at 110F, tough stains I go to 140F and let it soak for a while and then turn it on. Also get as big a cleaner as your budget will allow. I have the 12 liter tank. I can float a separate sealed dish on the surface with a caustic to clean brass and with a lid it does not pollute the original mix. Just my experiences.
Frank Klenk is offline Find More Posts by Frank Klenk
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:32 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts

this ross twin looks kind of used?
murcielago is offline Find More Posts by murcielago
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:00 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,827 Posts
My ultrasonic with the solution I use removes rust and carbon perfectly. Even though I wouldn't reuse it I can take a rusty crusty bearing and make it look like new without any scrubbing at all.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:15 PM
B.C.,Canada
Joined Jan 2003
52 Posts
What do you use, Bill?