HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:11 AM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
665 Posts
French Traslation needed

Euro Buddies,

I need a translation. "Course and Alesage" to English or American. I think they are "Bore and Stroke" or "Stroke and Bore", but I don't know which is which. Unfortunately they are missing from the translation page in the excellent "French Model Motors".

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
G WILLIE is online now Find More Posts by G WILLIE
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:14 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,754 Posts
Google translate says "bore and stroke"

http://translate.google.com/#fr/en/C...0and%20Alesage
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:01 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Alesage=Bore

Course=Stroke
In addition:
2 temps=two strokes engine
4 temps=four strokes engine
Vilebrequin=crankshaft
Carter=crankcase
bielle=conrod
segments=rings
And so on...................
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Last edited by coriolan; Dec 23, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:03 PM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
665 Posts
H'mmm, seems we have a problem. Google is translating opposite Corolian!
G WILLIE is online now Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:29 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
"Google translate" isn't an actual human brain but just a program, you need to enter the querie clearly and not mix two languages in the same sentence. pmackenzie entered: course and alesage,instead of:couse et alesage which was enough to confuse the poor transistorized brain!

Google actually ask if the querie is "Course et alesage" and give the proper sequence as result.http://translate.google.com/#fr/en/C...0and%20Alesage
To clarify the action of machining a circular hole is called "Aleser" and the machine used to bore large diameter (boring mill) is called an "Aleseuse" in French,a reamer is an "Alesoir"..........It get even more funny when you get into German technical terms translation!
Last edited by coriolan; Dec 23, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:37 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G WILLIE View Post
H'mmm, seems we have a problem. Google is translating opposite Corolian!
We don't have a problem, Google may have one.
Definitely:
Course = Stroke
Alésage = Bore
Joyeux Noël et Bonne Année 2013!
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:41 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Merci Jean-Marie!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
Merci Jean-Marie!
Y'a pas de quoi, Zorglub!
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:19 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
Taipan 61 Mk II

I was shown this engine at the field not long ago and told if I wanted it I could have it . One of the rings was so badly stuck it broke but now sports a set of Bowman rings which arrived a few days ago. He'd never made rings for one of these so the piston/liner had to be sent off to America. The main difference between this and the first version is the much larger, bulbous, transfer port and of course that it has a small II after the 61 on the transfer bulge. The muffler is the original venturi type. All I need to complete it is five 5-40 screws which seem to have gone missing over the years.
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:47 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
408 Posts
I'm sure those screws will be available in SA, but if not they're sure to be here. (In Sydney)

Let me know if you need a hand tracking them down.

Merry Christmas mate.

G
greggles47 is online now Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
Thanks for the offer greggles, I'll be trying the Dubro rack at my LHS soon but if that fails.....
Merry Christmas to you too. And seeing it's now just gone midnight for me it IS Christmas .
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:01 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,826 Posts
Sorry guy's... it's not at all vintage but I thought you would like to see it. Kind of a Christmas present to myself.

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:47 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,277 Posts
I bought myself a Jim Walker Firecracker engine. After cleaning all the grime away I found an engine in remarkably good condition. No plier marks and good compression. I haven't run it yet.

I've got an idea to build a replica AJ Fireball for radio control using this engine. I know they were originally controlled with a rubber bulb but I don't know what device was at the plane end to actuate the throttle from air pressure. I presume my engine is missing some actuating arm at the back end, which I will have to replicate to control with a servo.

Does anyone have a Firecracker with this missing arm they could photograph? I couldn't find any clear photos on the net.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:15 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaledown View Post
Does anyone have a Firecracker with this missing arm they could photograph? I couldn't find any clear photos on the net.
You're going to have fun. I didn't know this setup existed, so I've just looked in Tim Dannels' encyclopedia. There's an arm that actuates a rotating exhaust baffle, with a linkage that also opens and closes a blanking cap over the carb. intake. The linkage isn't visible in Tim's photo. The photo shows the exhaust side of the engine and the linkage must go around the transfer side, but it sure looks like a fairly "delicate" arrangement!
PS: Your engine appears to have the carb. blanking cover...
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:50 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,747 Posts
Cameron

The larger engine is of course a Cameron, 09 special marine if I'm not mistaken, and a variation of the engine that was built for Leroy Cox's Champion CL Car. Quite easy to find. The two smaller ones are not so easy to find and come up on ebay very rarely. These were produced espascially for the Hasbro Toy Co. for use in ready to run cars. It is not known how many were produced but when Hasbro decided not to go ahead with this car project, the engines were recalled and destroyed, so very few did survive. The flywheel is provided with fan blades for cooling. Date is 1961 and the engine has a .027cu.in capacity.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald