HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:02 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G WILLIE View Post
Handlaunching a Taurus! Wow; skilled pilot and skilled launcher! Planes were lighter loaded than now and the Enya 60 didn't hurt, but still, a symmetric airfoil pattern ship. When it was new did your friend test glide it in tall grass?
No, no test glide on that one. Another I hand launched for him at the time was more challenging. It was a Hustler Delta XD-7 with Fox 19 and was held by the rear landing gear legs for launch Still, it worked. Recently, I have known to hand launch my Whirlwind low-winger, transmitter in the left hand (mode 1, elevator under the left thumb, which helps a lot!) Not so easy with the right hand behind the wing trailing edge...
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Nov 17, 2012 at 07:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:18 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot View Post
No, no test glide on that one. Another I hand launched for him at the time was more challenging. It was a Hustler Delta XD-7 with Fox 19 and was held by the rear landing gear legs for launch Still, it worked. Recently, I have known to hand launch my Whirlwind low-winger, transmitter in the left hand (mode 1, elevator under the left thumb, which helps a lot!) Not so easy with the right hand behind the wing trailing edge...
There should be a class for this in the Olympic Games
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:52 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Remember my request for a Cox TD 09 plastic front housing ? Still have'nt found it !!!
Now, there must be SOMEONE in this world that does have a new 09 Cox front part ??????
Sorry Reggie, I don't have just the plastic part, all I have left are these two complete bottom ends for the Tee Dee .09 . I had 3 but needed one to fix mine that was broken like yours. I got mine from Aussie Ebay and he only sells them as packs of 3.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:16 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
There should be a class for this in the Olympic Games
And the obvious: Pick the model up while in idle, and nudge the throttle stick (remember, mode 1, throttle on the right) to full with the chin just before launch. In fact, my Sharkface needs full up at launch for a couple of seconds. I don't know how I could launch it with a mode 2 or single stick transmitter
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:19 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Reggie, I think it's doubtful. The only new TD09 front housing likely to be around will be on a new engine...
The obvious problem is that all Cox metal parts were machined, and so can be reproduced, but the plastic parts need tooling... for what sales volume???
Not only that, but the plastic front housing is the most fragile part of the engine, which means that you'll find engines with good metal bits, and broken plastic, but not the reverse.
I think your only reasonable hope is to buy a TD09 on eBay...
Nevertheless there are quite some original plastic Cox parts for sale but never that black coloured TD 09 front housing ? Cox International (name change from Xena ?) and Mecoa do have parts. Plenty of those red coloured front housings but no TD parts exept for the .010 If you remember the huge amount of Cox engines produced, forgot the number but it is a unbelievable quantity, do'nt think any other engine was thàt mass produced. There even is an offer for a black coloured "fuel nipple" part ?? I do have a few shoe boxes full of Cox new and old parts myself. And yes I have been on the look-out for a used 09 simply to obtain that front housing. And yes I could buy one of those alu black anodised fronts but then I will change the originality of the engine. I will contact Randy at Mecoa but looking at his list the front housing for the 09 altough mentionned on his list is not available.
Anyway, if you do stumble on the part do let me know. With all those millions of Coxe's produced it is unlikely no one does have that part stacked away somewhere. I do have quite alot of different Cox engines, recently added the one and only black coloured rc Shrike complete with Sanwa one channel tx, and in working order at that. Pretty rare amongst the Shrikes.
You can see some of my cl Cox cars on my site, I'll put up a picture of it here tomorrow.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:22 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Sorry Reggie, I don't have just the plastic part, all I have left are these two complete bottom ends for the Tee Dee .09 . I had 3 but needed one to fix mine that was broken like yours. I got mine from Aussie Ebay and he only sells them as packs of 3.
Who is that seller ?
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:43 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Who is that seller ?
Reggie, see post #5469 on page 365.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:45 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,271 Posts
This is my Taifun Sprint I mentioned at post 5561. It cleaned up nicely.
Just to test it I made a gasket from normal gasket paper and it sealed OK.
I wasn't sure it would start at all because the compression is pretty hopeless, but it started easily. What I did find was that it would hold peak RPM for about 2 seconds before slowly sagging by about 1500 rpm. Does that sound like a consequence of the low compression?

After one tank the gasket is looking good, but I can't see this thing taking to the air anyway.
Scaledown is online now Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:55 AM
Joined Apr 2006
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Wow... the 1975 Combat Special was a sad debacle. The prototypes were FAR superior to the production versions. The production version was ruined in the Second Operations department. The Supervisor of Second Operations lost his job over it. The final product was so disappointing.
Sounds like an interesting story.. What was wrong with them? I'm a Combat flier (not much flying these days, though, and only F2D anymore), but I came along during the Mark IV era (early 80s).

Talk about a long thread.. wow.. 375 pages??

Iskandar
Iskandar Taib is offline Find More Posts by Iskandar Taib
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:37 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,854 Posts
No model engines....just a tad off-topic though...

1936 Fairbanks Morse Model 32D (7 min 33 sec)

TÄNDKULEMOTORER Lysekil del 1 (4 min 49 sec)

Enjoy..!
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:21 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
TÄNDKULEMOTORER Lysekil del 1 Bring back sweet memories of Lysekil
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Last edited by coriolan; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
I have a rare Webra coming, will post it when the engine arrives.

Bill
Any day now......

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:32 PM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
643 Posts
29X Needle brg special

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FOX-...item2577f9dc72
G WILLIE is online now Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:04 PM
Haenertsburg, South Africa
Joined Nov 2008
46 Posts
I need some advice.
What should I be paying for a NIB (run once on the bench) OS 120 supercharged motor.
Are they still in production?
PantherEngines is offline Find More Posts by PantherEngines
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:19 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,854 Posts
Here is another "not-quite-a-glow-engine"......

Patronstart Field Marshall Fowler (8 min 26 sec)

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand