HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:37 AM
Haenertsburg, South Africa
Joined Nov 2008
46 Posts
That is the main advantage of this method!!
PantherEngines is offline Find More Posts by PantherEngines
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:43 AM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
539 Posts
A true win - win scenario
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:10 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Wow! What a thread!!!

Just discovered this one from a link in another thread. Just love seeing all these old engines and reading select reviews et al. I'm only to page 26... but am taking a break for a while.

As for me, not really an engine collector per se, as I have pretty much flown most of the ones I have that are useable. Mainly my "thing" is for the lowly little Fox engines from the 60's. No doubt this is due to my youth years, which led to employment at Fox during most of the early-mid 1970's.

My favorite Fox engines? The 36X! However, I also like all the Fox combat engines from the 50's up to the last of the 36X series. I also really enjoy the 35 Stunt. Love working on the Fox engines, handling them, fondling them, smelling them....

What can I say? I like 'em!

I've just recently started re-activating in C/L flying... and have started digging out my engine collection. Below are a few pics of my efforts...

Nice collection of Fox Combat engines. I still have a few of them left from my old days at controline too.
Here is a pic of two of them.

I also glued a Kavan carb onto one of mine though, so I could use it for RC way back then too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:46 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
375 Posts
Hi Earl!

Top pic: Ball bearing versions?

Bottom pic: One on the left looks to have a needle bearing rear cover. The one on the right looks to be a circa 1975 "Combat Special", however I can't tell if the case does indeed have the front/rear transfers, and can't tell if the head is the "bald head" that came out of the factory. The front bearing definitely looks ca 1975 Combat Special.

Wow... the 1975 Combat Special was a sad debacle. The prototypes were FAR superior to the production versions. The production version was ruined in the Second Operations department. The Supervisor of Second Operations lost his job over it. The final product was so disappointing.
LA Ming is online now Find More Posts by LA Ming
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:26 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,901 Posts
Yeah, They are ball bearing engines. I didn't know better at the time I got that second engine. But it worked well as a RC engine. Yes it does have the finless head. I had hack sawed a few slots in it thinking it might help cool the engine more. That was before I realized it wasn't needed. I don't t remember if they had the extra side transfer ports or not. I'll take a peek the next time I have them out again. I have three or four other versions of these engines too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:10 PM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,274 Posts
With head gaskets I presume the thickness is also important to get the compression ratio right. The particular Taifun I acquired doesn't have the greatest compression, so I'm thinking I should use something thin to give it all the help it can get.
I've got a roll of self adhesive aluminium tape used by plumbers. I might try cleaning the adhesive from it and cutting a gasket.
Scaledown is online now Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
Haenertsburg, South Africa
Joined Nov 2008
46 Posts
Hey Earl.

Just looking at your 36X with the epoxy mods.

I have a few repaired motors with "composite" crankcases like that!
PantherEngines is offline Find More Posts by PantherEngines
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:57 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,901 Posts
Thanks, I did that RC conversion way way back in 1977. I flew it for a while and then shelved the engine. It turned out fairly well and ran OK too. mI keep thining about using it again, but usually I don't have something I could put it in when I do ponder it. So maybe one of these days.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Oct 2007
377 Posts
Hi commanders
Does anyone have magazine reviews or articles on the Enya 35 III (or III B) model 5224 or on the Enya 29 V model 5225 ?
Thanks in advance
Carlo
stg61abc is offline Find More Posts by stg61abc
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:13 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,813 Posts
I have a rare Webra coming, will post it when the engine arrives.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:45 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stg61abc View Post
Hi commanders
Does anyone have magazine reviews or articles on the Enya 35 III (or III B) model 5224 or on the Enya 29 V model 5225 ?
Thanks in advance
Carlo
I have a number of test reports on Enyas here although not the exact models you're looking for.

If anyone has engine tests that aren't in the list (glow or diesel) they'd be willing to scan for me then I'll add them. Some engines are listed 2 or more times but that's because of different magazines and it's interesting to read what different reviewers have to say about the same engine.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Last edited by downunder; Nov 15, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:38 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
932 Posts
Here are 2 of my friend Bruces motors, don't know much about them apart from they were both used for c/l stunt.
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:51 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,489 Posts
I have a K&B 19 Green Head in a FF Swiss Miss, also have a Green Head 35 in a FF Playboy Snr. They came out in the early to mid '50s and are a truly great engine.

Looks worse than it is. It was built in 1995 and has probably had hundreds of flight.
The black is doped on Modelspan heavy then fuel proofed.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:32 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
932 Posts
Gossie the price on the box for the 19 is $13.50 think it's US $.

Colin
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:03 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinNZ View Post
Gossie the price on the box for the 19 is $13.50 think it's US $.

Colin
They are not all that expensive now.....19 was about $50.00 off eBay about 4 or 5 years ago, and the 35 was a swap for DC350 that both of us were more than pleased to do.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie