HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:25 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,001 Posts
$500 is cheap for a Yellow Jacket depending on manufacture and condition they are usually around $1500 or $2000.
This one may not look like an antique but, as You mentioned, it's also recently completed from old stock. Still it's a lot of money but as soon as someone is prepared to pay that amount of money the price is set for future examples.
danny.act is online now Find More Posts by danny.act
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:32 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
$500 is cheap for a Yellow Jacket depending on manufacture and condition they are usually around $1500 or $2000.
This one may not look like an antique but, as You mentioned, it's also recently completed from old stock. Still it's a lot of money but as soon as someone is prepared to pay that amount of money the price is set for future examples.

Well, the ones I saw were replicas. I wouldn't expect a replica of that engine to cost any more that the +/- $500 we were talking about. I did a little internet research and I didn't see any original Dooling Yellow Jacket motors that looked like that one. They certainly were very nice but they didn't look like that were made yesterday. Take a look at this one and compare it to the one on Ebay.

Now keep in mind, I'm a beginner engine collector. I'm just trying to see if my senses about what looks original agree with some more experienced collectors, such as yourself.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:43 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
I'm sure you guys have seen this collection before but WOW..... just..... wow.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:05 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I'm sure you guys have seen this collection before but WOW..... just..... wow.....
Yes I knew the late Mr. Miguel de Rancougne personally, Miguel visited Reggy and me regulary, sold some engines to him and ocasionally we also traded engines. He used to live in Brussels for some time before he moved further to Paris.
I think I may say that Miguel whas more on the way travelling the world then he was at home. It whas a fine man and many engine collector enthousiasts over the world will miss his visits.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:11 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Quote:
Yes I knew the late Mr. Miguel de Rancougne personally, Miguel visited Reggy and me regulary, sold some engines to him and ocasionally we also traded engines. He used to live in Brussels for some time before he moved further to Paris.
I think I may say that Miguel whas more on the way travelling the world then he was at home. It whas a fine man and many engine collector enthousiasts over the world will miss his visits.
Amazing... How fortunate you were to have known such a man and had an opportunity to see his collection first hand.

I've decided that I need a Dooling of my very own. Probably not a Yellow Jacket but maybe a nice little .29 in new to near new condition.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:28 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,001 Posts
As a comparisment for the one on Ebay:
The Yellow Jacket (Bruce Underwood edition?) wich once belonged to Miguel's collection has been sold some years ago at Christie's auction house for $ 7974.00 dollar !!!

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...jectID=4223435
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:14 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Quote:
As a comparisment for the one on Ebay:
The Yellow Jacket (Bruce Underwood edition?) wich once belonged to Miguel's collection has been sold some years ago at Christie's auction house for $ 7974.00 dollar !!!

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...jectID=4223435
Eh.... pocket change....

That's quite an engine but it looks to me to be authentic. That one on Ebay just doesn't look right. Also, I think the mere fact that is was sold at Christie's and it belonged to Miguel changes the value. Take those two parts out of the equation and I bet it wouldn't have sold for nearly that much. Look at how much they got for that used Saito 1.20 sitting next to it.... $675! I don't know about you but I don't think I'd pay that much for just any good condition used Saito 1.20 of the same vintage..... Unless maybe Mr. Saito himself made it with his own hands.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Apr 20, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:47 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,001 Posts
The one on Ebay probably also is authentic and one of the latest models YJ's made in very limited numbers by Bruce Underwood. The gentleman who's selling this engine also has more engines for sale wich seem to be in pristine and new condition.
http://shop.ebay.com/makeurbids/m.ht...id=p4340.l2562
About the engines on Christie's auction well no I wouldn't pay that much for a Saito 1.20 but some (fortunate) people like to pay extra for the fever of bidding at Christie's.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:09 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Quote:
The one on Ebay probably also is authentic and one of the latest models YJ's made in very limited numbers by Bruce Underwood. The gentleman who's selling this engine also has more engines for sale wich seem to be in pristine and new condition.
http://shop.ebay.com/makeurbids/m.ht...id=p4340.l2562
About the engines on Christie's auction well no I wouldn't pay that much for a Saito 1.20 but some (fortunate) people like to pay extra for the fever of bidding at Christie's.
I guess you're probably right. He does have a lot of very nice looking stuff. Did you see his $45,000 tether car? Collecting those is apparently a hobby for the very rich.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:12 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,335 Posts
I think that the one on Ebay is authentic. it is the camera and lighting that has it off in color. I have seen people's cameras screw up the colors before.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Apr 20, 2011, 05:54 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,449 Posts
I wonder if anyone will collect, or care about all these model engines in the next 50 years.
Silk, dope, good balsa, and kits are almost all gone. The ARFs have taken over, and they seem to be going all electric. I think most modelers that collect engines are now collecting what they wanted as kids and couldn't afford back then. I always wanted the early Cox .15 (1959), but didn't get one until about 1980. I was lucky too at finding a Dooling .29 for $30 nib at my LHS. Still in the box, never run. The only other one that I wanted and never got was the McCoy .60 ($27.95), and I won't pay to-days prices now.
Are these engines worth anything to a non modelers....not to my wife, she'd throw them out in the garbage!
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:00 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Well John, as you saw in my blog I don't fly engines at all. I haven't flown any engines in 6 or 8 years now. My collection consists of engines I have never flown and in most cases engines I had never sen before. I'm 47 years old and when I got into the hobby O.S. was dominant. Probably for my first 10 years I flew nothing but O.S. and Supertigre G .51.

I find collecting engines to be fastening. I think that because they are fading in popularity at the field having a collection of nice older ones is even more attractive. Will they be worth anything 50 years from now.... I think so. Look at prewar Lionel trains. Those are highly collectible. Of course, you'll have to have really nice examples, in my opinion. I think the used stuff will mostly be..... junk.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:10 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,063 Posts
By the way, is Clarence Lee still around?
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:24 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
I wonder if anyone will collect, or care about all these model engines in the next 50 years.
Silk, dope, good balsa, and kits are almost all gone. The ARFs have taken over, and they seem to be going all electric. I think most modelers that collect engines are now collecting what they wanted as kids and couldn't afford back then. I always wanted the early Cox .15 (1959), but didn't get one until about 1980. I was lucky too at finding a Dooling .29 for $30 nib at my LHS. Still in the box, never run. The only other one that I wanted and never got was the McCoy .60 ($27.95), and I won't pay to-days prices now.
Are these engines worth anything to a non modelers....not to my wife, she'd throw them out in the garbage!
With all due respect, I don't agree. Kits and balsa and dope and Japanese tissue are all alive and well. I understand that all those horrendous ARFS are popular but check Tower Hobbies and Hobby King. They still sell glow engines, glue, monokote (or ChinaKote), balsa, horns, kwik-links, Trexler wheels, Dubro etc. It just means that there are plenty of people out there enjoying real aeromodelling. Guillows, Dumas, SIG and others are still in business. If sales were low, they would go out of business!! Not everybody is stupid enough to fly only ARFS. Real aeromodelling means 80% building and 20% flying. As for electrics, yes they are catching very fast but it is understandable, no noise, no oil to clean etc. But real aeromodelling, made of balsa, dope, Esaki tissue etc. will never fade. Just like records never replaced concert halls and TV and DVD never replaced Cinema theatres.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:31 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Flying is flying and building is building. Most of the best builders aren't very good pilots. Most of the best pilots aren't very good builders. It's takes a lot of time to be one of the best at both. These days people have to choose.

I fly all electric because when I want to fly I don't want to fiddle with an engine. I collect engines because I like the way they look and I like the interesting engineering behind them. I may sometime soon build something with the intention of flying it with an engine but for the novelty of it and not because it's the best way to power a model.
RCG Plus Member